Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2017, 06:50 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,458,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Man 10 to noon is the perfect time for your classes. Early enough that you can get out and have the whole day to do what you want, but late enough that you can get up at a reasonable hour like 7 or 8 and have a cup of coffee and read over your notes or finish homework. Absolute brilliancy

Night classes are also chill, find it easier to concentrate there. I would say the ****tiest time to take classes would be 1-5pm, especially in the winter those classes hog up all the daylight
One of my classes (twice per week) let out at like 11:30 AM, senior year of college. That was the best. It just so happened I had quite a few hours till the next class in the late afternoon.

So what did I like to do? I had a meal plan those days. I'd go to the dining hall's takeout, and get a sub (they call them subs there but we call them hoagies - same thing).. Italian hoagie. I'd walk back to my (single!) dorm room and enjoy that with a few beers (usually limit to 1-3). Now, their hoagies aren't like Primo Hoagies down here, but they were always pretty decent. I'll say that I've had worse hoagies.

Lol, I miss those days. I was always on the meal plan. I never had to make my own food. Their food wasn't always good - but they served baked ziti a lot that was usually good.

No, I wasn't irresponsible as a student. I got things done. Got decent grades.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:03 PM

168 posts, read 106,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
One of my classes (twice per week) let out at like 11:30 AM, senior year of college. That was the best. It just so happened I had quite a few hours till the next class in the late afternoon.

So what did I like to do? I had a meal plan those days. I'd go to the dining hall's takeout, and get a sub (they call them subs there but we call them hoagies - same thing).. Italian hoagie. I'd walk back to my (single!) dorm room and enjoy that with a few beers (usually limit to 1-3). Now, their hoagies aren't like Primo Hoagies down here, but they were always pretty decent. I'll say that I've had worse hoagies.

Lol, I miss those days. I was always on the meal plan. I never had to make my own food. Their food wasn't always good - but they served baked ziti a lot that was usually good.

No, I wasn't irresponsible as a student. I got things done. Got decent grades.
I only recently learned that the word "hoagie" is only used in the Delaware Valley, everywhere else in the US says sub. I'm convinced it's because of Wawa's hoagiefest perpetuating that word, but I'm not certain they started the use of it here.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch227 View Post
I only recently learned that the word "hoagie" is only used in the Delaware Valley, everywhere else in the US says sub. I'm convinced it's because of Wawa's hoagiefest perpetuating that word, but I'm not certain they started the use of it here.
They didn't start it.

I've never even had a Wawa hoagie, lol. There are better options locally for me.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:20 PM

The most well-known vendor is, of course, Subway. I've never eaten a sub at Subway, though. Obviously they have locations everywhere, including this region.

I've also seen "Jersey Mike's Subs" even here in hoagie country. Never had one from there, but they sound good.

BTW, about the name. According to Wikipedia:

Quote:
A submarine sandwich, also known as a sub, wedge, hoagie, hero, or grinder is a type of sandwich that consists of a length of bread or roll split lengthwise and filled with a variety of meats, cheeses, vegetables, and condiments

The Italian sandwich originated in several different Italian American communities in the Northeastern United States from the late 19th to mid-20th centuries

The use of the term "submarine" or "sub" (after the resemblance of the roll to the shape of a submarine) is widespread

The term hoagie originated in the Philadelphia area. The Philadelphia Bulletin reported, in 1953, that Italians working at the World War I–era shipyard in Philadelphia known as Hog Island, where emergency shipping was produced for the war effort, introduced the sandwich by putting various meats, cheeses, and lettuce between two slices of bread.[citation needed] This became known as the "Hog Island" sandwich; shortened to "Hoggies", then the "hoagie".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_sandwich

Old 02-15-2017, 08:26 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,870,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
I joined the Navy at 16, with no qualifications other than a few GCSEs. Owen, imagine being a 16 year old boy in the military.
How the F is this possible? Child soldier! We didn't allow 16-yo's to join the military even in WWII!

Quote:
Originally Posted by divisionbyzero0 View Post
For one meal? £30 is like 500k rupiahs, which is a week worth of meal here!
Thankfully i have no driving license so i only eat around the campus area, which is "student's cost" 10-35k rupiahs (roughly £0.60-2.00)

And to think that one of my classmates whose father was in the embassy can get used to "student's cost" meals as well, after 3 years living in Australia
Student canteens have meals here for €2.60, and that's absolutely dirt cheap. If you eat out at a real lunch restaurant the normal rate is €8.90-9.90.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Di Maria is such a polarizing player. When on his game he is like Messi, with pace, dribbling, curling free kicks, pin point passes, etc. But when he's not on his game he's absolute ****. Such an inconsistent player
I hate him. Among the top players who I hate the most.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:15 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,643,694 times
16 & 17 year olds don't get deployed. You need to be over 18 for that. Since people leave school at 16, joining the army is a common choice for many people who maybe didn't get good grades.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:28 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,870,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
16 & 17 year olds don't get deployed. You need to be over 18 for that. Since people leave school at 16, joining the army is a common choice for many people who maybe didn't get good grades.
Ok, I just find it to be weird. And maybe a bit morally questionable.

Do you get some bonuses from the military? Like easier access to universities later?

Old 02-15-2017, 09:31 AM

Not sure. Dean might know.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:40 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,985,199 times
The British government gives nothing for free Ariete!

Old 02-15-2017, 09:44 AM

Oh it definitely does. Unlike the US, you can claim unemployment benefits in the UK without having worked at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather