Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would most of USA's "weather problems" be solved if North America shifted 20 degrees south
Yes 7 12.96%
No 47 87.04%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 04:01 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times

Advertisements

If you shifted 20 degrees south, there would be many tropical diseases and parasites that don't often make it past the exiting border. There would be killer Africanized bees in every state and Zika-carrying mosquitoes would be there, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 08:39 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If you shifted 20 degrees south, there would be many tropical diseases and parasites that don't often make it past the existing border. There would be killer Africanized bees in every state and Zika-carrying mosquitoes would be there, too.

That was my first thought as well. God knows we have enough bugs in florida but I dont think the main mosquito that carries the zika virus , Aedes aegypti, could survive year round in north america now, the cold would kill it off

Old 07-20-2016, 08:52 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
What would happen where I live, as all the cities listed as examples are at sea-level (or close; Atlanta, I think is at

1,100ft).

I live in Colorado Springs, CO; elevation 6,500ft. Our elevation actually ranges from 5,500ft to 7,300ft, depending on

which neighborhood you are in at the time.

Would we just be hotter with no additional humidity?

Old 07-20-2016, 12:08 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
What North America needs is a Rocky Mountain range running parallel along the territorial and provincial borders in northern Canada. But then I think we'd have a climate similar to China, maybe? How much is the cold air from the Arctic responsible for giving the eastern half of the US and southern Canada the Xfx Koppen designations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I would be willing to bet that even 10 degree further south you would still get stupidly cold arctic blasts this time going even further south with all that land right to the Arctic.

The problem is not the current latitude, as just about every single place on the planet at the latitude of the South is warmer in winter and doesn't get those very anomalous cold winter blasts. The problem is the lack of a northern ocean or high mountains blocking or modifying the cold air.

A better solution would have been the US buying Baja California to give us a fantastic long coastline far more dramatic and beautiful than the current warm and boring one (East Coast), or the cold and dramatic one (West Coast). Baja CA wraps it all up in a nice package.

How is this for gorgeous beaches with warm water:

https://goo.gl/maps/uTfHiuvVjRQ2

https://goo.gl/maps/xPZoyhXnBUC2

https://goo.gl/maps/yeedZ2tUXZK2

https://goo.gl/maps/b4YjNyjUEmp

If Mexico ever got its act together it would be a fantastic place to retire to for winter. Who knows, maybe someday the US and Mexico will be in a kind of European Union arrangement with each other and Canada and then we can all enjoy the kind of climates we like.
The other day you were saying that PR should be let loose because we don't speak English, yet you want a union with Mexico....

Old 07-20-2016, 12:23 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
What North America needs is a Rocky Mountain range running parallel along the territorial and provincial borders in northern Canada. But then I think we'd have a climate similar to China, maybe? How much is the cold air from the Arctic responsible for giving the eastern half of the US and southern Canada the Xfx Koppen designations?

The other day you were saying that PR should be let loose because we don't speak English, yet you want a union with Mexico....

Lol, not a union like PR being a state. Since when is the EU one country? I mean a union with open travel borders and where each nation shares pretty much the same standard of living. Never happen in our lifetimes, but nice to dream.

As I said, the US almost got Baja during the Mexican War, but was given up by US forces as it was considered barren and worthless. If we had gotten it, Baja would be the pretty much the same standard of living as California and would be lined with beautiful towns from one end to the other, and the Sea of Cortez would be our own little Med.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:25 PM

17,306 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Oh hell no. No interest in living below 45 degrees north. In the Portland area we still see some days above 100 degrees and I'm ready to move to Alaska. The south is the source of "weather problems". You can always bundle up in cold, only so much you can do to cool off. I'm miserable above 75 degrees. 50-70 is my ideal range and the pacific northwest has the mild climate to provide the most of those days.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:27 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

Why would a huge mountain range spanning the US-Canada border create a China like climate?

Old 07-20-2016, 12:28 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
No. Low latitude doesn't mean more benign weather.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:11 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
No. Low latitude doesn't mean more benign weather.
Why does it seem though that Florida gets way more hurricanes and tornadoes than the East Coast of Australia and South America at the same latitude?

Old 07-20-2016, 01:17 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Isn't "global warming" going to take care of all that if we live long enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
What would happen where I live, as all the cities listed as examples are at sea-level (or close; Atlanta, I think is at

1,100ft).

I live in Colorado Springs, CO; elevation 6,500ft. Our elevation actually ranges from 5,500ft to 7,300ft, depending on

which neighborhood you are in at the time.

Would we just be hotter with no additional humidity?
It would basically become Mexico City or Quito (Ecuador).....check out their interesting climates......basically imagine a tropical climate of little temperature variation only the temps are in the 50s-70s every day of the year so perhaps in summer it would actually be cooler (at least in the daytime)! Quito has only been over 90 degrees once in it's entire history despite being less than 1 degree latitude south of the Equator (mostly due to being 9000 ft. above sea level)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather