Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2016, 02:35 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
It's just that northeast US should get some moderation from the ocean too, no? I think given the latitude and its location on the coast, NYC should have average highs of like 6° or 8° in Janiary, and certaainly much hiher record lows
Parts of eastern Canada and a couple islands in the northeast have oceanic type climates. Very stable climates but still cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 02:58 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Since I've been researching, reading, studying about the sun, it's truly fascinating how it gets ignored too much IMO. One reason is because there is a lag time. People hate to think "what could happen" and rather know what will happen in the near term.

Another is maybe because there's not enough studies. Another is because there's so many other factors that it's hard to isolate 1 thing? Whatever the case is, it's interesting to see how the sun DOES play a role in weather and climate. (more so climate I think)

And to see what we are entering is pretty damn interesting if you ask me. One that shouldn't be ignored but again, back to that thing about how can we be so sure?

Just put this together real quick.. Total number of daily sunspots.... 1970s....low. Early 80s was high.

Just look at the "PEAK" of this cycle.. was much lower than NASA forecasted and much lower than previous cycles.

Yeah, very muttled. Our warmest winter ever happened during a real low sun time in the 1930's. Who knows. I'd rather focus on other connections.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:54 PM

83,524 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Yeah, very muttled. Our warmest winter ever happened during a real low sun time in the 1930's. Who knows. I'd rather focus on other connections.
Yeah, as with anything including your other connections, nothing will ever be guaranteed or 100% correlated.

How about a look at the cycle instead of the daily sun spots?

This was from 2006. Look at what they forecasted for Cycle 24. LMAO. The mean peak was under 100! Down we go! Take a look at your 1970s, the peak was lower then the other peak cycles. That should say something.

Solar Data & Forecast - NASA Science

I wont correlate what happened February 2015 but IMO there's gotta be some relation to that historic never seen before cold happening. While it wont happen every month, perhaps they will happen more than we've seen in past 30 yrs??

Old 08-09-2016, 04:01 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Only if the globe turned the other way. Since most weather patterns and systems come from the west, the Atlantic only moderates the coastal areas, not interior. but even a NW flow from the Arctic can overpower the Atlantic. But you still see the effects though.
And there are times when we get an Easterly flow but next time check out how far in those winds go. Usually cuts off in PA & NY somewhere
PA, That's generous, Milton Mass (Great Blue Hill) gets 20 more inches of snow than Logan, 6 miles to its northeast.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:03 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Considering the prevailing wind direction in mid-latitudes is from the west, and Western Europe has ocean to its west while the NE has land, why would expect it to be the same?
I don't expect it to be like coastal Portugal or Spain, but I think something like Baku or Burgas would make sense for NYC. NYC is in a similar location as southeast Bulgaria. Also I feel like the coastal areas should be warmer than the inland areas like in Spain. For example, Madrid has average highs of 9c in winter, but Valencia at the same latitude has like 16c...I don't get why the Atlantic ocean doesn't hold the same effect on its east coast climates as the Mediterranean does

Old 08-09-2016, 04:15 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,005,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I don't expect it to be like coastal Portugal or Spain, but I think something like Baku or Burgas would make sense for NYC. NYC is in a similar location as southeast Bulgaria. Also I feel like the coastal areas should be warmer than the inland areas like in Spain. For example, Madrid has average highs of 9c in winter, but Valencia at the same latitude has like 16c...I don't get why the Atlantic ocean doesn't hold the same effect on its east coast climates as the Mediterranean does
Because Europe are an Peninsula at the western edge of a giant Continent and because the mediterran are warmer than Atlantic at same latitude,the Coldests places at higher latitude will be always be on East Coast(taking out high altitudes),an example are the Korean Peninsula,even through its surrounded by giant water bodys,it still colder than every place at same latitude on the world,that just because its on the eastern edge of Eurasia,look that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyongy...hy_and_climate this look like an average of a place at 39S and at sea level?

Old 08-10-2016, 04:25 AM

83,524 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
JAMSTEC model updates once a month

Junes update showed warm for all of U.S (left)
Julys update showed cold for Eastern U.S(right)

Should be fun to see this months update for winter.
HaHa! And we're back. August update for Winter.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:52 AM

135 posts, read 90,650 times
My last December was a whopping 10.8 degrees above normal (46.9 F average) , it was ridiculous and depressing... too hot to snow and just cloudy and blah. Basically it was just like two months of November.

January and Feb were a bit better, Jan was only 2 above normal and February 3.5 above normal. I am just hoping we won't have such an above normal December. I will even take 5 degrees above normal but please not almost 11 degrees above normal.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:09 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:

Um, so let's see Europe actually gets a cold winter and we don't. Something up with that. That sure looks like a negative NAO, which impacts us as well as them. How can they be cold and Eastern Europe and Russia warm? Their real cold comes from the east. These long range things are just stupid at this point.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:19 AM

29,535 posts, read 19,626,354 times
Quote:

That's absolutely awful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather