Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate is better? Moncton or Bremen?
Moncton 18 45.00%
Bremen 22 55.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 02:29 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,792,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Osoyoos is a solid climate, most of BC is solid up to 51°
Interesting you say that because there's a huge difference between Osoyoos and Tofino.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 03:05 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,285,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Vancouver: D
Nanaimo: D-
Victoria: D+
Bella Coola: E
Why is Nanaimo D- and Vancouver D

Nanaimo average summer highs are warmer than Vancouver,
Nanaimo airport average august high is 24.3C ...warmer than Vancouver and London, UK

Is it because winter lows are very slightly cooler?

If anything, I would rate Nanaimo's climate slightly better than Vancouver.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:12 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,285,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Interesting you say that because there's a huge difference between Osoyoos and Tofino.
True but even Tofino is good in it's way....very mild winter, much milder than Osoyoos,
gardening zone 9a....higher zone than Atlanta or Charlotte

I think I know why he mentioned BC climates (plural) are solid up to 51N

North of 51N ...BC climates are noticeably much cooler, even on the coast.

There are just few BC climates I like north of 51N,
Terrace (city weather station), Bella Coola,
and maybe Williams Lake (not the airport weather station which is at much higher elevation).

Old 10-09-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
True but even Tofino is good in it's way....very mild winter, much milder than Osoyoos,
gardening zone 9a....higher zone than Atlanta or Charlotte

I think I know why he mentioned BC climates (plural) are solid up to 51N

North of 51N ...BC climates are noticeably much cooler, even on the coast.

There are just few BC climates I like north of 51N,
Terrace (city weather station), Bella Coola,
and maybe Williams Lake (not the airport weather station which is at much higher elevation).
Yes I prefer Tofino because I like rain forest climates and the winters are warmer. Too bad summers there are so cool. That's what I don't like about Osoyoos which is the more chilly winters and overall dryness.

I do have a soft spot for places further north on the BC coast. But summers in these places are terrible.

Quote:

Nanaimo airport average august high is 24.3C ...warmer than Vancouver and London, UK

I believe that Deneb78 usually looks at the average low temperature when judging climates. I will have to say I didn't realize that Nanaimo's summers are warmer than Vancouver's summers, so I'll change my rating.

Nanaimo B+
Vancouver B

Old 10-09-2016, 03:54 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,512,243 times
Personally this is my Canadian climate breakdown:

Moncton: Solid D
Vancouver: Strong C
Nanaimo: Strong B
Victoria: Solid C/ Strong B at uni.
Tofino: F
Bella Coola: Solid D
Osoyoos: Weak C
Halifax: Weak C
Winnipeg: Strong E
Montréal: Solid D
Québec City: Strong E
St. John's: Weak D
Ottawa: Weak C
Calgary: Weak D
Edmonton: Strong E
Toronto: Strong B inside UHI, weak B outside of it.
Windsor: Strong C

My own climate in Eastern Sweden: Weak C for higher sunshine, bright summer nights and higher snowfall moderating the dark in winter than Bremen.
Örebro: Weak C as well, even though cold snaps and apparent heat extremes are somewhat worse.
Bremen: Solid D
Seattle: Strong B

I feel that Toronto and Portland (ME) are the only four-season climates I'd even consider for an A because of the mild winters and the pleasant and the not hot summers. Sapporo albeit similar in temps is too monsoon-y and snowy for that consideration although it meets B criteria. Moncton loses a fair bit of ground because of the excessive snowfall, but is certainly not a disaster.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Personally this is my Canadian climate breakdown:

Moncton: Solid D
Vancouver: Strong C
Nanaimo: Strong B
Victoria: Solid C/ Strong B at uni.
Tofino: F
Bella Coola: Solid D
Osoyoos: Weak C
Halifax: Weak C
Winnipeg: Strong E
Montréal: Solid D
Québec City: Strong E
St. John's: Weak D
Ottawa: Weak C
Calgary: Weak D
Edmonton: Strong E
Toronto: Strong B inside UHI, weak B outside of it.
Windsor: Strong C

My own climate in Eastern Sweden: Weak C for higher sunshine, bright summer nights and higher snowfall moderating the dark in winter than Bremen.
Örebro: Weak C as well, even though cold snaps and apparent heat extremes are somewhat worse.
Bremen: Solid D
Seattle: Strong B

I feel that Toronto and Portland (ME) are the only four-season climates I'd even consider for an A because of the mild winters and the pleasant and the not hot summers. Sapporo albeit similar in temps is too monsoon-y and snowy for that consideration although it meets B criteria. Moncton loses a fair bit of ground because of the excessive snowfall, but is certainly not a disaster.
I'm confuse. You gave Moncton a D because of the snowfall, but yet you gave Sapporo a B when it has twice as much snow as Moncton.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
I'm confuse. You gave Moncton a D because of the snowfall, but yet you gave Sapporo a B when it has twice as much snow as Moncton.
It is about the temps. Sapporo's winters are much milder than Moncton's. It is also a very weak B.

-3/-13 average in January ain't very neat since I want -0/-7 winters or things like that if there are supposed to be any . Sapporo could even be a weak A were it not for the excessive snowfall. The 26/19 August temp is very pleasant for example.

But had Moncton had its summers with Halifax's winters, I'd gladly take it. I wonder though why Sapporo gets so much more snowfall than Halifax, considering similar precipitation numbers and January temps...?

Old 10-09-2016, 05:11 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,725,854 times
Quote:

Because Nanaimo averages almost twice as much snowfall as Vancouver. It also has colder winter lows and record lows than YVR.

Quote:
It is about the temps. Sapporo's winters are much milder than Moncton's. It is also a very weak B.

-3/-13 average in January ain't very neat since I want -0/-7 winters or things like that if there are supposed to be any . Sapporo could even be a weak A were it not for the excessive snowfall. The 26/19 August temp is very pleasant for example.

But had Moncton had its summers with Halifax's winters, I'd gladly take it. I wonder though why Sapporo gets so much more snowfall than Halifax, considering similar precipitation numbers and January temps...?
Sapporo and most of Northern Japan get hit with so much heavy snowfall because of sea effect snow coming off the sea of Japan. The cold and dry Siberia winds blow off Asia in winter and pick up the moisture from the relatively warm sea of Japan and then dump it. It's also I think why Nanaimo has higher snow totals than nearby Vancouver on the mainland.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:

I have to give Sapporo temperatures a plus. It's winter temperatures are quite a bit better than Moncton, not to mention the summer lows. But all of that snow would just turn me off. It's likely heavy snow to.

I'm assuming that Sapporo gets more snow than Halifax due to the temperature dropping when systems come in. I find in Moncton it's like this in the spring, but rarely does this happen in the first part of the winter.

I bet lots of snow lovers would love Sapporo.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:48 PM

I'd love Moncton's summer lows if the climate was a mild 13/4 winter climate

But as it is, when there is a short summer, why not cram as much night heat as possible I think. Those 17 C overnight lows we occasionally get here are quite cool to behold after all, but maybe the frequent 25 C days on those occasions... help.

This summer we even had a few 22 C highs and 17 C lows from my memory...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather