Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 01:57 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,776,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Yeah Houston is a little hotter in summers, but point is they will most likely feel the same (humid steamy hot). Add that The Villages are a bit inland... which further should compound the misery. Can't a bit of sea breeze be traced in Miami during summer et cetera?

As for the OP I'd advise the person to try and go to Winnipeg and see how he likes March mornings there. Or that today was the first day of the year that reached the high of Ocalla's average low in January.

Consider that
Where I live and other areas near the immediate coast yes, but it doesn't really help all that much. You end up with 88/79 instead of 92/75, something that happens when your ocean is a bathtub lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 02:27 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,506,777 times
Here sea level rise isn't even a thing. Can't speak for the whole world obviously, but I live very near the Baltic Sea and there have been zero instances of flooding during my lifetime.

I think it's also a grand delusion that Greenland and the Antarctica would melt. Have those people even seen a weatherbox of Vostok or the South Pole or not to mention the Eismitte recordings of interior Greenland? Sure the planet might get pretty warm but sea levels rising would take thousands of years in most places.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eismitte#Climate

Alex and AJ for example ain't going under water anytime soon Swedish state-run television for kids actually said that Florida would cease to exist back in 1997, probably to brainwash the millenial kids into far-leftism (they had great success, my generation in Sweden is full of political idiots). That was ludicrous. Both denialism and excessive fearmongering need to be combated in equal measures. They essentially said that Florida would have to be evacuated by 2030...

What is interesting is that Linköping was actually warmer in 1991-2001 in January than in 2002-2016. That is also one weird anomaly. The 90's saw a sudden rise of temps in Sweden that since then have stabilized. The warming has decreased even though averages go up all the time. So there needs to be some sense and caution to the wind here.

Last edited by lommaren; 03-14-2017 at 02:40 PM..

Old 03-14-2017, 02:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Here sea level rise isn't even a thing. Can't speak for the whole world obviously, but I live very near the Baltic Sea and there have been zero instances of flooding during my lifetime.
Scandinavia has a natural sea level decrease from glacial rebound, more than any rise from global warming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-glacial_rebound

Quote:
I think it's also a grand delusion that Greenland and the Antarctica would melt. Have those people even seen a weatherbox of Vostok or the South Pole or not to mention the Eismitte recordings of interior Greenland? Sure the planet might get pretty warm but sea levels rising would take thousands of years in most places.
The edges of the ice sheet touch the sea, where the air and and sea is mild enough at times to cause melting.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:40 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,506,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Scandinavia has a natural sea level decrease from glacial rebound, more than any rise from global warming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-glacial_rebound
The post-glacial rebound is dormant in north-central Sweden, not really here. The ice sheet was not that strong here naturally because of the lower latitudes.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:41 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
The post-glacial rebound is dormant in north-central Sweden, not really here. The ice sheet was not that strong here naturally because of the lower latitudes.
wikipedia map shows it's still high in southern Sweden

Old 03-14-2017, 02:49 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,693,663 times
Quote:

The edges is melting, not just due to rising air temperatures but also because the ice there meets the sea. In addition, melting ice on top of the ice sheet results in water running down to the bottom of the glacier in cracks, and there they "lubricate" the bedrock as it meets the ice, one reason the ice has speeded up towards the sea, which in turn results in more melting as more of the ice moves and get in contact with water, which give space for more ice running towards the sea...its a positive feedback.

Also, increased bush vegetation on the arctic tundra results in more of the suns heat being absorbed, giving earlier snow melt. Same with melting sea ice giving less albedo and more sun warmth being absorbed by the sea...another positive feedback.
Even the decreased aerosols in the air, giving less dimming of the sun (and more sunhours) in the Arctic is a driver for higher temperatures.
And then there is the methane, a greenhouse gas much more powerful than CO2. A little more warming might give huge methane-bursts from the sea bed into the atmosphere.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:55 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,776,023 times
Quote:

Alex and AJ for example ain't going under water anytime soon Swedish state-run television for kids actually said that Florida would cease to exist back in 1997, probably to brainwash the millenial kids into far-leftism (they had great success, my generation in Sweden is full of political idiots). That was ludicrous. Both denialism and excessive fearmongering need to be combated in equal measures. They essentially said that Florida would have to be evacuated by 2030...

What is interesting is that Linköping was actually warmer in 1991-2001 in January than in 2002-2016. That is also one weird anomaly. The 90's saw a sudden rise of temps in Sweden that since then have stabilized. The warming has decreased even though averages go up all the time. So there needs to be some sense and caution to the wind here.
We usually get tidal flooding (which of course can be associated with sea level rise) a few times a year here in the low-lying areas.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:17 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Kelvin View Post
It's utterly fascinating that this thread pops up after TWO years of freakishly above average cold-season months, with November 2015, December 2015, January 2017 and February 2017 all being so far above average that it's not even funny. And those were hardly the only well-above average months in the U.S.; they're just the ones that stick out in my mind--we haven't had a below average month since January of last year where I live. Yet there were hardly any posts saying "GLOBAL WARMING CONFIRMED" during those months. This just seems to be the type of tactics used by these people: ignore all the record-obliterating warm months and wait for temperatures to dip slightly below average so that the same tired argument can be brought up again and again.

Perhaps we should look to overall trends instead of individual months when discussing global warming and the climate change that results from it.
You need to talk to this guy about it, as he is the one that said it today from Auburn, MA:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Cantore

Old 03-14-2017, 06:58 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
Wait: let me pop some popcorn. . . this discussion is gonna be good.

(And for the record, when I was in elementary school in the. . erm. . . 1960's, it was all about the next impending ice age, believe it or not).

Old 03-14-2017, 07:08 PM

The 1970s scientists thought global cooling was coming as they talk about global warming is a myth. There was discussion on it, but certainly not a consensus on it. The wikipedia article on it makes clear

Academic analysis of the peer-reviewed studies published at that time shows that most papers examining aspects of climate during the 1970s were either neutral or showed a warming trend

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global...970s_awareness

it does list some scientific works arguing cooling may come but most described plenty of uncertainty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather