Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2017, 07:12 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times

Advertisements

High today was 40.6°C, which was average.

Currently 39.4°C with a dewpoint of 8.3°C at 6pm Pacific Time

Old 08-06-2017, 07:37 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,776,023 times
Lows of 84F and 83F (record setting I believe) the past two days at MIA along with highs in the lower 90's, stifling heat really. I do have to wonder if there's something fishy going on with the readings there though, ever since last December that station has recorded temperatures that are, over a period of months, record breaking. This july being a perfect example of that with 30/31 days recording a high temperature above 90F, something that has never been seen before. Normally I would just chalk it up to being a remarkably warm year but other stations in the area, while being above average, have not been notably so especially during the summer months. Very odd...

Mean temps this July:

Miami Beach: 83.6
Hollywood: 84.2
Key Biscayne: 83.4
West Palm Beach: 84.2
Ft Lauderdale: 83.7
MIA: 85.7(All-Time Record)

Old 08-06-2017, 07:43 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Lows of 84F and 83F (record setting I believe) the past two days at MIA along with highs in the lower 90's, stifling heat really. I do have to wonder if there's something fishy going on with the readings there though, ever since last December that station has recorded temperatures that are, over a period of months, record breaking. This july being a perfect example of that with 30/31 days recording a high temperature above 90F, something that has never been seen before. Normally I would just chalk it up to being a remarkably warm year but other stations in the area, while being above average, have not been notably so especially during the summer months. Very odd...
There's been similar lows in FLL and HWO. I don't think there's anything "fishy" besides the UHI is just growing stronger over the years. As someone who spends a lot of time out at nights, especially in the weekend, I can personally attest that I'm surprised it's even dropped below 85 F the past few nights. It's been ridiculously stifling.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
There's been similar lows in FLL and HWO. I don't think there's anything "fishy" besides the UHI is just growing stronger over the years. As someone who spends a lot of time out at nights, especially in the weekend, I can personally attest that I'm surprised it's even dropped below 85 F the past few nights. It's been ridiculously stifling.
I added some stats above. There's no question that it's been warmer than normal and the last couple of days have been exceptionally bad. However, when you look at the stats over a long period of time with stations that theoretically should report almost identical temps (as I have demonstrated above) you'll see what I'm talking about.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
I added some stats above. There's no question that it's been warmer than normal and the last couple of days have been exceptionally bad but when you look at the stats over a long period of time with stations that theoretically should report almost Identical temps (as I have demonstrated above) you'll see what I'm talking about.
MIA has a bad combination of being in the UHI and inland. It's not that surprising. The difference in temps from other stations is literally only a degree or two.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
MIA has a bad combination of being in the UHI and inland. It's not that surprising. The difference in temps from other stations is literally only a degree or two.
The UHI and location can't have changed much from the last couple of years, and if you loo at a summer like 3013 temps were both eay cooler and very similar to temps from surrounding stations.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:22 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
The forecast doesn't look that much below normal. It's mostly just cool during the day and normal at night. I don't see any lows below 68 in my NWS 7 day forecast. And we need the rain (some trees have yellowish leaves I've noticed). We've only gotten about 2.5" of rain the past six weeks, while the normal for the time period would be around 7".
Yes! I have seen some crispy trees indeeed. WE NEED RAINFALL. It does to me using TWC, mostly stuck in low 80s this morning... they bumped some days back up... i need to quit using TWC even for here, arent their forecasts essentially the model outputs exact? Also i have noticed since July or so forecasts most days have been off by a couple degrees, we hit 94 a couple days ago for instance when we were not forecast that... so i have a bit more hope that continues and these forecasts are undersone on the highs...

About yellow trees, every year sycamores start turning yellow... same thing happened last year. I drove up to Richmond and the forests next to the highway were filled with yellow sycamores... i dont understand why.

Whats different this year is im seeing more tree species that dont normally start getring crispy in July such as certain hickories, and EVEN some Crape Myrtles. The flowering of the Crape Myrtles this year was the worst i ever saw lol!

Old 08-06-2017, 08:27 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
August currently running 1.2 degrees below normal... soon to be as much as 3... 0 rainfall so far. Average high dropped below 90 on the 5th i believe, average for today is 89/70. By end of August it will be down to around 86/67.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:29 PM

85 F with a 77 F dew point here as of 10 PM. This seems to be a pretty common OBS the last few days lol. Low is predicted at 80 F, I predict we won't drop below 82 F.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:42 PM

696 posts, read 905,363 times
It has been a really cold and overcast summer here in upstate ny. I actually had to wear a hoodie today. Coldest summer I ever felt in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather