Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2017, 04:29 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Dakotas spike to mid 90s on Friday'
Even this week, huh. See my previous post. Looks like Ridge reoccurring West of Mississippi. Will this be common theme this summer? We'll see. This pattern has to break soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
To be fair, this month was overwhelmingly overcast, with most high temps below normal, so it felt quite a bit cooler than a normal May for us, even if the final average is close to "normal", this month was anything but normal. .

That

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It's definitely an interesting skew; but that's how averages work, and it makes sense that big departures affect the average. Also looking at the chart carefully, because it was cloudy the minimums were near normal, so the averages weren't dragged down quite as much as it felt
If the minimums were near normal and most of the month or highs were below normal what would the departure be? BELOW normal. Well below in this month's case. Not normal. Those 3 days brought us to normal.

Also, Are you saying this is a typical occurrence where 3 or 4 days is the reason for a departure? I quickly looked for May only and didn't find any. May 2013 came close but I hesitate using that month because it looks normal even with only the 7 hot days. I don't think we see this scenario much, would be an interesting thing to look up though.

#MayToRemember

Old 05-31-2017, 04:34 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Our first 7 days of summer will all be above average.

Tomorrow 37.8°C +0.6°C
Friday 39.4°C +2.2°C
Sat 41.1°C +3.3°C
Sun 41.1°C +3.3°C
Mon 40.6°C +2.8°C
Tue 40.6°C +2.3°C
We'd 39.4°C +1.1°C

Old 05-31-2017, 07:22 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
To be fair, this month was overwhelmingly overcast, with most high temps below normal, so it felt quite a bit cooler than a normal May for us, even if the final average is close to "normal", this month was anything but normal. It did get hot for three days, which was nice, but 90% of the month was cool and damp.

I think if anything more rainy and cloudy than normal for sure. From 1986 to 2017 we average 10 days below 70F. This month had 14 which is more than average. We also average over the last 30 years two days under 60F, and this month had two. We average 2 days over 90F, and we had 3. Overall the month was more unstable than usual, but not dramatically so.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:54 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,005,110 times
Cambium passed the whole month trying to make CT seems cooler than it really was, just accept man!

Old 05-31-2017, 08:10 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Sure, average is average but I think Cambium has a point. Just a few days can obscure the general conditions of the month. This month I would describe as cool, wet, and cloudy but looking at it on paper years from now won't give that representation.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:14 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Sure, average is average but I think Cambium has a point. Just a few days can obscure the general conditions of the month. This month I would describe as cool, wet, and cloudy but looking at it on paper years from now won't give that representation.
The lower than average diurnal range and higher than average precip says a lot though of the conditions of the month. Also, the fact that the month was merely average even with a huge heatwave mid-month tells you a lot about how the month went. It's kind of like a mostly warm month being skewed by a huge cold snap.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:29 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
The lower than average diurnal range and higher than average precip says a lot though of the conditions of the month. Also, the fact that the month was merely average even with a huge heatwave mid-month tells you a lot about how the month went. It's kind of like a mostly warm month being skewed by a huge cold snap.
I was more referring to the high temperatures being on the cool side. The last line kind of supports my general point.

How would you describe this month?

Old 05-31-2017, 08:36 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
I was more referring to the high temperatures being on the cool side. The last line kind of supports my general point.

How would you describe this month?
Variable. You indeed did have a good amount of cool days but you also seemed to have a good amount of warmer than average nights. The nights not being exceptionally cool is what's keeping the means up as well. It kind of just looks like a wetter than average month rather than cooler than average.

23 of your 31 nights are warmer than normal while 21 of your 31 days were cooler than normal. Higher precip and higher than normal cloud cover = lower diurnal ranges. Doesn't necessarily mean "cool".

Old 05-31-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:

But it is below normal temp wise, and if NOAA ever bothered to measure sunshine again it would show up as excessively cloudy which is how our local meteo's have described it.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:

The same can happen in winter with an extreme short lived cold blast in an otherwise warmer than avg month. It just seems on this forum the only months called out for it are the months that had a short very warm blast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.