Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2017, 04:09 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,379,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Bilingualism is such an obvious thing in Sweden.

I can't even think of how life would be like not to be fluent in two languages anymore.

How much do you use Spanish in your daily life btw Alex?
Yeah, I honestly couldn't imagine myself not being fluent in two languages neither. It's just second nature by this point.

I use it a lot, this is Miami in a lot of parts it's more surprising finding English speakers if anything lol. Plus, I speak with my family everyday in Spanish.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:20 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,511,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Yeah, I honestly couldn't imagine myself not being fluent in two languages neither. It's just second nature by this point.

I use it a lot, this is Miami in a lot of parts it's more surprising finding English speakers if anything lol. Plus, I speak with my family everyday in Spanish.
Any other languages then? Italian and Portuguese are obviously very similar do you understand those in speech ot speak a bit yourself? Perhaps you challenged yourself by giving it a go while in Italy?

I can understand Swedish, English and the Oslo variety of Norwegian fluently. If a German makes an effort not to speak dialectal I pick up the majority of what's being said as well. Dialectal Norwegian, German and Danish are extremely hard though. If a Dane makes a textbook slow pronounciations I get what they mean though even though some words are lost. That's the difference. I'd say nearly all Norwegians can with a bit of an effort make a random Swede understand them and vice versa.

As for speech, Swedish and English are the only necessary ones living here but I can make my way around a German town with what I've got and especially pronounciation-wise I'm very natural in that regard so they'll understand me. If I really made an effort I could learn to speak Norwegian but the problem with that is that it's essentially a dialect of the same proto-language as Swedish so for that to happen I'd have to be careful with every single word not to fall back into my East Sweden dialect If I use that one... bless them Norwegians they won't understand that much unless they're from Oslo

Old 06-23-2017, 04:31 PM

2,460 posts, read 1,358,623 times
Quote:

How does your family know Spanish?

Old 06-23-2017, 04:38 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,930,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsizat View Post
His family come from Latin America.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Any other languages then? Italian and Portuguese are obviously very similar do you understand those in speech ot speak a bit yourself? Perhaps you challenged yourself by giving it a go while in Italy?

I can understand Swedish, English and the Oslo variety of Norwegian fluently. If a German makes an effort not to speak dialectal I pick up the majority of what's being said as well. Dialectal Norwegian, German and Danish are extremely hard though. If a Dane makes a textbook slow pronounciations I get what they mean though even though some words are lost. That's the difference. I'd say nearly all Norwegians can with a bit of an effort make a random Swede understand them and vice versa.

As for speech, Swedish and English are the only necessary ones living here but I can make my way around a German town with what I've got and especially pronounciation-wise I'm very natural in that regard so they'll understand me. If I really made an effort I could learn to speak Norwegian but the problem with that is that it's essentially a dialect of the same proto-language as Swedish so for that to happen I'd have to be careful with every single word not to fall back into my East Sweden dialect If I use that one... bless them Norwegians they won't understand that much unless they're from Oslo
I speak some Portuguese since my dad lived in Brazil from 1966 until 1971 so he knows a lot and I somewhat picked it up from him. I understand the grand majority of words though, probably about 80% or so. I'd do fine if I were to go to Portugal or Brazil.

Italian is a bit tougher, but I understand a lot of it, probably about 50% or so. I only a know a few words though I would love to learn it, Portuguese also. German, Russian and Swedish are other languages that I wouldn't mind learning, as ugly as German sounds.

Is there a lot of cultural ties between Germany and Sweden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsizat View Post
My family and I are from Venezuela we moved here in 1998 when I was six years old.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:41 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,930,224 times
The best way to learn a language is living among native speakers, no doubt. I have an uncle who lived in west Wales, and after a few years he spoke fluent Welsh, despite never taking lessons.

How did you learn English, Alex? I'm guessing a combination of classes and living among natives, how long did it take before you felt confident speaking to others?

Old 06-23-2017, 04:45 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,556,943 times
Quote:
Bilingualism is such an obvious thing in Sweden.

I can't even think of how life would be like not to be fluent in two languages anymore.

How much do you use Spanish in your daily life btw Alex?
Alex is one of those you don't like that speaks other languages in public...

Old 06-23-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
The best way to learn a language is living among native speakers, no doubt. I have an uncle who lived in west Wales, and after a few years he spoke fluent Welsh, despite never taking lessons.

How did you learn English, Alex? I'm guessing a combination of classes and living among natives, how long did it take before you felt confident speaking to others?
Just by living here I've been living 76% of my life (19 out of 25 years). It's easier to pick up foreign languages as a little kid than as a grown adult or even a teenager, since you spent so much less time in your native country and growing accustomed to only one language.

It only took me like two years I think, I'm not sure. I only really remember struggling with it in 1st and 2nd grade, after that I was quite ok. I remember I would get in fights a lot because kids would make fun of me for not knowing English.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:46 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

I feel like people who come to the country by 7 or so learn English without an accent. It's the border of having the young child-level of learning a language.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Just by living here I've been living 76% of my life (19 out of 25 years). It's easier to pick up foreign languages as a little kid than as a grown adult or even a teenager, since you spent so much less time in your native country and growing accustomed to only one language.

It only took me like two years I think, I'm not sure. I only really remember struggling with it in 1st and 2nd grade, after that I was quite ok. I remember I would get in fights a lot because kids would make fun of me for not knowing English.
But then you said you hear more Spanish than English in Miami, so wouldn't that make it harder to learn English quickly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.