Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best largest city climate of the six continents?
Moscow 19 31.15%
Tokyo 10 16.39%
Mexico City 9 14.75%
Sao Paulo 4 6.56%
Sydney 15 24.59%
Lagos 4 6.56%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 10:59 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,405,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Good thing I'm not trying to "prove" anything, lol. What is there to prove lol?
I dont know, its just you have made similiar statements before. Anyways i voted Tokyo.

My top three picks:

Tokyo
Sydney
Moscow/Mexico City (tie)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 11:02 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,922,938 times
I voted Sydney. Moscow's summers are too short, and winters too dark. Tokyo is too rainy and hot in the summer. Mexico City is very nice but very little variation. Sydney has nice temps, sunny, and has some seasonality.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:07 AM

765 posts, read 573,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
How are people's weather preferences so shocking to you? You realize not everybody cares about mild weather or comfort right? To some people, having a big variety IS comfort.

Also, how is the seasonality better in Tokyo when Moscow's range is 26 C while in Tokyo it's only 21 C?
It's not so much shocking that people might like Moscow, but that it's breaking so heavily towards Moscow and just because of the winters and not any other season. I haven't yet encountered a poll on this website that really surprised me like this. It might be selective memory, but Moscow's climate seems to me to be generally not well liked in the forum compared to Sydney say. There's even a rate the climate thread for Moscow that got traction recently and its marks are pretty poor.

As I live in a mild climate, I suppose it can't be helped that I look at Moscow's winters as pretty extreme. A typical winter day there would be colder than any weather I've ever experienced. I'm not judging anyone's preference, it is actual shock I'm expressing.

In terms of Tokyo's seasonality, I'm familiar enough with Tokyo's climate to know that seasonal variation is pretty slight. Unusually cool summers or warm winters are rare. In Moscow (and most other places in the world to be fair) you're much more likely to come across a disappointing season which could ruin it, like this summer.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:10 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,921,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab276 View Post
It's not so much shocking that people might like Moscow, but that it's breaking so heavily towards Moscow and just because of the winters and not any other season. I haven't yet encountered a poll on this website that really surprised me like this. It might be selective memory, but Moscow's climate seems to me to be generally not well liked in the forum compared to Sydney say. There's even a rate the climate thread for Moscow that got traction recently and its marks are pretty poor.

As I live in a mild climate, I suppose it can't be helped that I look at Moscow's winters as pretty extreme. A typical winter day there would be colder than any weather I've ever experienced. I'm not judging anyone's preference, it is actual shock I'm expressing.

In terms of Tokyo's seasonality, I'm familiar enough with Tokyo's climate to know that seasonal variation is pretty slight. Unusually cool summers or warm winters are rare. In Moscow (and most other places in the world to be fair) you're much more likely to come across a disappointing season which could ruin it, like this summer.
It's not a well-liked climate on here, far from it. But I have noticed that a disliked climate can perform well in these multiple choice polls when it's up against a bunch of relatively similar climates.

Moscow is the the only Continental climate on a list that's mostly dominated by climates that have a warm-bias. So inevitably the four season lovers are all voting for it, even if it's not seen as ideal.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
These are the most populated cities of the main, inhabited continents. Which city has the better climate?

Moscow (Europe): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow#Climate
Tokyo (Asia): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo#Climate
Mexico City (North America): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_City#Climate
Sao Paulo (South America): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A3o_Paulo#Climate
Sydney (Oceania): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney#Climate
Lagos (Africa): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos#Climate

Note: Istanbul would've been the largest of Europe if it were entirely in that continent.
I think you should've added Istanbul under the category of transcontinental, it's the largest city to straddle two continents, but no the only one.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:23 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,122,874 times
Weird most people chose Moscow

Old 08-02-2017, 11:33 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,696,046 times
Lagos. The only tropical climate of the bunch.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Weird most people chose Moscow
It' because there is only one option for a snowy city, and many options for mild cities. Cold lovers only have option, hot lovers have many to pick and choose from. If there was another city with seasonality such as NYC it would be a different story.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:03 PM

1,772 posts, read 1,503,808 times
Sao Paulo or Tokyo, depends on my mood.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:17 PM

308 posts, read 225,362 times
Tokyo. I like warm-biased four season climates with rainy summers, and Tokyo fits that to a T. The only thing it doesn't have is a moderately cold winter month (average highs around 0C).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather