Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2008, 10:58 PM

52 posts, read 143,459 times

Advertisements

Minnesota is my definition of hell
Linda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 12:38 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaDLai View Post
I had to laugh about the wildfires in California and the hurricanes in Florida. Lived in Florida for 20+ years... never affected by hurricanes.. my family still live there... only one member affected by hurricanes because they live in South Florida near the coast. The other family members have never been affected by hurricanes.

I have lived in California for 40 years and never affected by wildfires. never.

Well, that's my two pennies.
Linda

well like IKe and Katrina it only once in a lifetime anjd iot wipoes evryhting out from mostly surge. Florida gets 45% of tropical systems and is why the insurnace especailly on teh coast is high. CValifornioa is that way with a mopjo0r erathqauke. A far as heat;I lvbe ion Txas but i have to sayt aht teh heat in arizona and nevada was beyond anything I have ever experienced. That and the dust from dryness and then if the wind blow its total misery; IMO.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:12 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Our winters are nowhere near the coldest or snowiest... not even close. So why did you choose IL? Nor our are summer temps remotely as hot or as humid as the rest of the country. And to top it off, our ice storms are pretty mild compared to those elsewhere in the country. Ever seen the ice storms they get in MO or OK? Northern TX?

Ok, back on track here.... I think its nearly impossible to find one single place with the worst weather. Every place has its pros and cons. While some have bad winters (ie MN, AK, NH, etc), others have nice winters (ie FL, SoCal, Hawaii). Some states have nice summers (ie MI, NH, etc), others have hell summers (ie TX, AZ, FL, etc). Some states get pounded by hurricanes, others with tornadoes. Some get earthquakes, some get ravaged by fires. Some get slogged with mudslides, others with brutalizing droughts. Some get obnoxiously hot dry heat, others get cooler but swampy humid heat. Every state has bad weather in one form or another, no place is better than the next.
I agree with Steve-O..

Old 12-13-2008, 12:22 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times
Minnesota takes the cake, because they are the coldest in the winter. Minnesota summers aren't exactly good either. Summers in northern Minnesota near Lake Superior are very short and average in the 70s. A lot of places are too cold for comfort, though. Minnesota just happens to be the most extreme.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:21 PM

Ok, back on track here.... I think its nearly impossible to find one single place with the worst weather. Every place has its pros and cons. While some have bad winters (ie MN, AK, NH, etc), others have nice winters (ie FL, SoCal, Hawaii). Some states have nice summers (ie MI, NH, etc), others have hell summers (ie TX, AZ, FL, etc). Some states get pounded by hurricanes, others with tornadoes. Some get earthquakes, some get ravaged by fires. Some get slogged with mudslides, others with brutalizing droughts. Some get obnoxiously hot dry heat, others get cooler but swampy humid heat. Every state has bad weather in one form or another, no place is better than the next. >>>>>>

On the contrary what makes a better climate is if the good offsets the bad. Here in California we get 3 - 4 months of really hot weather ... the rest of the year is really nice. Same thing in Florida. In the midwest and eastcoast, you get 6 months of extreme cold weather, short summers. Even worse, in Portland, you only get 2-3 months of nice weather.

Which is why so many millions of people migrate to Southern California. It's all about the climate
Linda

Old 12-14-2008, 06:12 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,899,491 times
for all round crap weather, I'm nominating Maine.

Pretty much as cold as Minessota and the dakotas during winter, but not quite as warm in summer.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:56 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Yea, Minnesota has to have the worst climate, but this morning I'm also going to give honorable mention to North Dakota and South Dakota. Can get very unpleasant up here.

SAB, Maine's temps may get as cold, but they don't have the windchills the upper Midwest has. Right now it feels 26 degrees colder then the actual temp and it's not isolated. It's by no means an every day occurrence, but it's not unusual.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:55 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times
I have family in Maine and I have to agree that Maine has bad weather. Northern Maine is basically the same as Minneapolis, but with cooler summers. Southern Maine is 5-10 degrees warmer in the winter, but cooler in the summer. I only live 2.5 hours south of them, but sometimes it is much warmer here. They get snow in November every year, we normally don't get any until December. I remember Thanksgiving 2007 leaving Massachusetts and it was 66 degrees (warm for that time of year here, but thats not the point), by the time we got to Maine it was 48. My relatives in Maine act like it's the end of the world when it hits 80. Weather is all a matter of opinion, though. An earlier post said the Sunbelt has hellish summers, but I like long, hot summers. I view the cold winters in Minnesota as a drawback, but others see them as a benefit.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:33 PM

396 posts, read 1,276,256 times
My personal least favorite weather would have to go to the Desert Southwest.

Insufferably hot summers and boring winters. Dry no matter what time of year. I'd have to say it's followed by Florida; hot and humid 9 months out of the year, 3 years of mild temperatures. Hurricanes. The only positive would be all the rain they get.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:28 PM

Default Florida

I'm a native Floridian and have never experienced nine months of hot humid weather; never.
Linda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather