Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 05:57 AM

276 posts, read 135,923 times

Advertisements

Extreme bitter cold. Never experienced before. People wearing shorts at these types of polar temperatures are morons

Old 02-24-2019, 06:13 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob93 View Post
Extreme bitter cold. Never experienced before. People wearing shorts at these types of polar temperatures are morons
I've had friends who have wintered at Amundsen–Scott South Pole Station (I've never been there, yet!) and there's a thing called the "300 Club". What they do is crank up the sauna in the station to 200°F/93°C and it has to be -100°F/-73°C outside or colder and people run from the sauna out to the actually South Pole marker and back to station.

Seems simple enough, but here's the catch, you have to do it with just boots, gloves and a hat, everything else completely naked and every year the actual Pole is moving 30 feet (9 meters) away from the station due to the 2 mile thick ice cap moving toward the ocean.

If you complete the task you get a t-shirt and become an official member of the "300 Club". Some winters at Pole, it doesn't even make it down to -100°F/-73°C, so no chance to join the club. Many people also take a "hero shot" when they get to the Pole marker during their attempt. Definitely lots of shrinkage for the guys!

Here's a picture of me at Palmer Station, Antarctica in the so-called "banana belt" of the continent in shorts, proud member of the moron club!

Old 02-24-2019, 08:47 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,459,091 times
^Yeah the 300 Club is what I show people who clearly don't understand a damn thing about extreme or even moderate cold, when they spew nonsense like "omg -50 C that's like immediate death within 1 minute omg blah blah blah..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TXevL17UDg

The same guy has a vid where he CAMPS outside one night when it hits -75 C.

One can only dream of getting to winter over down there.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:36 AM

276 posts, read 135,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I've had friends who have wintered at Amundsen–Scott South Pole Station (I've never been there, yet!) and there's a thing called the "300 Club". What they do is crank up the sauna in the station to 200°F/93°C and it has to be -100°F/-73°C outside or colder and people run from the sauna out to the actually South Pole marker and back to station.

Seems simple enough, but here's the catch, you have to do it with just boots, gloves and a hat, everything else completely naked and every year the actual Pole is moving 30 feet (9 meters) away from the station due to the 2 mile thick ice cap moving toward the ocean.

If you complete the task you get a t-shirt and become an official member of the "300 Club". Some winters at Pole, it doesn't even make it down to -100°F/-73°C, so no chance to join the club. Many people also take a "hero shot" when they get to the Pole marker during their attempt. Definitely lots of shrinkage for the guys!

Here's a picture of me at Palmer Station, Antarctica in the so-called "banana belt" of the continent in shorts, proud member of the moron club!
That’s pretty cool! There’s definitely a difference to doing that for that reason and leisurely wearing shorts outside at -20c In general for longer periods of time though. I can’t imagine anyone being comfortable doing that

Old 02-24-2019, 09:39 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,880,867 times
-4f is about our ave. Temp.around 1am every night inJan.& Feb.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:41 AM

152 posts, read 96,122 times
Extreme cold. Polar hell. I prefer 40°C/104F by far.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:47 AM

250 posts, read 182,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Usually, but not always, the humidity is highest at sunrise, when the temperature is at its lowest and as the sun heats the air throughout the day the humidity will drop as the air "dries out" and be its lowest around 2-3 PM in the afternoon, when the temperature is near its highest.

Humidity and temperature are usually, but not always, inversely related, overnight/early morning = high humidity and low temperatures, noon/afternoon = low humidity and high temperatures, it's just physics!

So, if the humidity was 100%, I highly doubt the sunrise temperature (basically the low) was 113°F/45°C, that would be some record high low there!

The coldest I have ever gotten to experience was -40°C/-40°F in September 2011, when I was living and working at McMurdo Station in Antarctica, with the wind chill it was -63°C/-81°F, that was cold.

My hottest was in June or July in Arizona one year when it was 49°C/120°F. So if my lifetime, I've gotten to feel a 201°F (-81°F to 120°F) maximum difference in temperatures!
Which temperature was more intolerable for you?

Old 02-24-2019, 11:52 AM

2,413 posts, read 1,040,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan001 View Post
Extreme cold. Polar hell. I prefer 40°C/104F by far.
I prefer -20°C to even 25°C

Old 02-24-2019, 11:52 AM

7,217 posts, read 3,091,145 times
Yugoslavian Partisans in January 1942 were in offensive on Igman (Bosnia) on temperature of -32c https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igman#World_War_II
A lot of them died of freezing.

Igman is place where is recorded the lowest temperature in the Balkans -43c (-45 F) in January 1963 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igman

Old 02-24-2019, 11:53 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
When I delivered pizza...

I once came out of my house to find that my rear brakes had frozen and would not release. I had to take the wheel off and free the drum brakes manually. It was so cold sitting there that I had to go inside every ten minutes or so to warm up - even though I was wearing thermal underwear, heavy jeans, a couple sweaters and a heavy coat. Hat and gloves of course were also needed although I had to remove the gloves occasionally for fine control.

It was ~(-5) degrees outside that afternoon and I thought it was the absolute coldest I could ever experience. Worst, I was scheduled to deliver that night and I was not looking forward to the colder night.

When time came to start work, the temperature had dropped to ~(-11), and since nobody else wanted to go outside, the phone at the deli was ringing off the hook. After about a hour or so of delivery in the cold, I had stripped off the heavy coat and I think one of the sweaters too and I worked that way from the rest of the night. I was running too hard to have the cold really bother me. I was also lucky to have two or three wool caps because I could exchange them every half hour or so, so that the sweaty ones had a chance to dry.

It's all relative.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 02-24-2019 at 12:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather