Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is more ideal?
Honolulu 29 48.33%
San Diego 31 51.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 06:36 AM

5,195 posts, read 1,868,950 times

Advertisements

I'm honestly surprised people seem to like Honolulu so much. It's a full on hot, humid torrid tropical climate, certainly not "mild" as the OP suggests, and worse than Florida, and yet I see many of the same people who vote Honolulu are the same people who would vote against Florida and its summers in any climate battle against a cooler climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 07:23 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Honolulu weather is nothing like Florida's It is much nicer.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Honolulu weather is nothing like Florida's It is much nicer.
Not really. Florida has those refreshing rain showers many afternoons in summer unlike the dry monotony of Honolulu. That makes it much more attractive to me than somewhere that's just hot and dry all day. For someone who doesn't appreciate heat much Honolulu is worse than Florida, it's warmer on average, than most of Florida.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:34 AM

110 posts, read 71,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
Not really. Florida has those refreshing rain showers many afternoons in summer unlike the dry monotony of Honolulu. That makes it much more attractive to me than somewhere that's just hot and dry all day. For someone who doesn't appreciate heat much Honolulu is worse than Florida, it's warmer on average, than most of Florida.
Although I really do think Honolulu is a dismal climate, you should be aware that to people who object to heat, Honolulu is significantly less awful than Florida because of its dryness. With dry heat:
  • Diurnal temperature swings are stronger, so nights may provide relief. One can open up the house at night to get cool air, and take siestas in the afternoon.
  • Evaporation is stronger. It's possible to put water on one's clothes to moderate personal temperatures, or spray mist to cool outdoor areas. Heatstroke is less of a danger.
I've been to Honolulu and to Georgia; in Honolulu I'd be unhappy, yet I could still function. But Georgia was dreadful, and even to contemplate Florida leaves me with a crawling disquiet. There are some places on this earth where Man Was Not Meant to Go.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klimaforscher View Post
Although I really do think Honolulu is a dismal climate, you should be aware that to people who object to heat, Honolulu is significantly less awful than Florida because of its dryness. With dry heat:
  • Diurnal temperature swings are stronger, so nights may provide relief. One can open up the house at night to get cool air, and take siestas in the afternoon.
  • Evaporation is stronger. It's possible to put water on one's clothes to moderate personal temperatures, or spray mist to cool outdoor areas. Heatstroke is less of a danger.
I've been to Honolulu and to Georgia; in Honolulu I'd be unhappy, yet I could still function. But Georgia was dreadful, and even to contemplate Florida leaves me with a crawling disquiet. There are some places on this earth where Man Was Not Meant to Go.
I guess all I have to go by is stats, and 75°F lows in Honolulu are still really hot for me, many northern Florida places get average lows of 72-73 in the hottest months. Florida has bigger diurnals than HNL almost anywhere, though that's partly due to higher maxes. If the humidity is much less in Honolulu then it could feel better, but I'd really have to try a summer in both places to know for sure. I love thunderstorms as well though and HNL gets barely any of those.

Edit: I've looked at some data for July in both places and seems the real difference is in the humidity levels. Humidity is quite low in Honolulu even compared to parts of Florida with low minima.

Last edited by Eman Resu VIII; 07-23-2019 at 10:01 AM..

Old 07-23-2019, 12:51 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
I have been to Honolulu and Washington DC (comparable to Florida) in summer and Honolulu is so much more comfortable. It's not even close. I would never go to Florida in the summer, have only been there in winter when it's heaven.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:18 PM

I would prefer FLA to HNL because I like humidity and storms and winters are cooler.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I have been to Honolulu and Washington DC (comparable to Florida) in summer and Honolulu is so much more comfortable. It's not even close..
So somewhere with slightly lower average highs, much lower average lows, weaker sun, and lower humidity (Washington DC) feels so much hotter than a place with higher average highs, much higher average lows, stronger sun and higher humidity (Honolulu), that it's "not even close"?

July and August's averages (lows in particular) in Washington DC are somewhat cooler than Honolulu's, with lower dewpoints, according to the 1981-2010 averages for both places.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washin...C_D.C.#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honolulu#Climate

What month/year were you in Washington DC? They can have more impressive heatwaves than HNL, but those would be equally balanced by below-average weather at other times.

On a year round basis (not just selecting summers), Honolulu has the worse climate for people who prefer cooler weather, than most of Florida, as per the stats. HNL still has average highs of 87 and lows of 73 in October. Most of Florida is far cooler than that in October, especially in the north, and, it has far cooler winters. I would much rather live in Florida than Honolulu, as someone who likes more moderate temperatures.

Last edited by Eman Resu VIII; 07-23-2019 at 01:49 PM..

Old 07-23-2019, 02:30 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
I have been to both Miami and Honolulu in summer. Honolulu felt much better due to lower humidity and just as important trade winds that seemed to blow most of the day. Miami seemed to be more stagnant and humid overall in summer.

Old 07-23-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I have been to both Miami and Honolulu in summer. Honolulu felt much better due to lower humidity and just as important trade winds that seemed to blow most of the day. Miami seemed to be more stagnant and humid overall in summer.

Yes, because Miami is one of the few Florida Cities where summers have hotter overnight lows and higher humidity than Honolulu.

Washington DC certainly doesn't! If Botev finds Washington DC to feel much hotter (that it's not even close) than Honolulu despite statistics to the contrary, than either he went when it was much hotter than average, or, some other factor makes Honolulu feel unusually cool compared to its statistics. Wind perhaps?

Also we're not just comparing summers but the entire year. If I wanted more chance of cooler weather I'd live in Miami in winter and not Honolulu. As someone who doesn't like excessive temperatures all year round, Florida is better for me, than Honolulu.

Last edited by Eman Resu VIII; 07-23-2019 at 03:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather