Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 11:42 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,949 times

Advertisements

I skimmed this thread. People do realize the first three weeks of September in the Northern Hemisphere are in Summer....And it always feels that way in many locations in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 11:59 AM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
I skimmed this thread. People do realize the first three weeks of September in the Northern Hemisphere are in Summer....And it always feels that way in many locations in the US.
Meteorologists consider summer to be either June,July and August, or the 90 days with the highest mean temperatures. In the case of the Northeast that's generally June 6 to September 6. Sorry to say, summer is over everywhere except perhaps coastal California, where temperatures sometimes peak in October.

Old 10-01-2019, 04:35 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,949 times
Funny, I thought Meteorologists thought Fall started when it was suppose to. Not when the CDF Meteorologists thought it started.
It was summer until September 23rd this year. About 90 Days after it started.
Again September is mostly a Summer month in the Northern Hemisphere. As June is mostly a spring month.

And surprise, it really feels that way. Might take a week, (Never seems like it at the start of Fall)

Astronomical Seasons
The astronomical definition uses the dates of equinoxes and solstices to mark the beginning and end of the seasons:

Spring begins on the spring equinox;
Summer begins on the summer solstice;
Fall (autumn) begins on the fall equinox; and
Winter begins on the winter solstice.
The beginning of each season marks the end of the last.

Because the timings of the equinoxes and solstices change each year, the length of astronomical seasons within a year and between years also vary.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Funny, I thought Meteorologists thought Fall started when it was suppose to.
If one looks at weather website they all describe summer as "JJA." And June features a lot more 90° days than September. Getting three in a row for an official heat wave is almost unheard of after say September 10. There are quite a few starting in June. 1925 featured a particularly memorable one starting around June 3; 1984 around June 7 or 8 and 2008 around the same time.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:11 PM

1,056 posts, read 726,570 times
Quote:
It's actually somewhat cooler then than in June unless you're on certain coasts, but you're right that U.S. summers tend to feel longer. Subtropical regions (South, Southwest, Mid-Atlantic) tend to have longer, hotter summers and shorter, milder winters by nature, while temperate North American (excluding PNW) regions are often longer/more intense in summer AND winter.

However, don't forget, there are places like Siberia, Iceland, parts of Alaska, parts of northern Canada and parts of northern Europe where leaves actually will change and even drop as early as August. The meteorological definition of a season (Jun-Aug, Sep-Nov, Dec-Feb, Mar-May) is more like a general guideline to warmer/colder temperatures, and the more common definition (NOT the true astronomical one; that would be having solstices and equinoxes as the mid-season) was invented by the Romans because the Mediterranean Sea lags their seasons more.

I've grown to learn that the definitions of seasons are very subjective and can vary regionally, which can make for some interesting discussions (including this one!).

Old 10-02-2019, 01:59 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
I definitely consider september to be a summer month here, at least the first half of it. Summers are long, but then they're also quite hot. I would probably feel differently if I lived in Helsinki, but that's a different climate. Kinda like comparing Duluth with Kansas City.

But yeah I think it all depends on what you're used to, I have yet to meet a Canadian here so he can tell me about how he feels about our winter.

Old 10-02-2019, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
The meteorological definition of a season (Jun-Aug, Sep-Nov, Dec-Feb, Mar-May) is more like a general guideline to warmer/colder temperatures, and the more common definition (NOT the true astronomical one; that would be having solstices and equinoxes as the mid-season) was invented by the Romans because the Mediterranean Sea lags their seasons more.

I've grown to learn that the definitions of seasons are very subjective and can vary regionally, which can make for some interesting discussions (including this one!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I definitely consider september to be a summer month here, at least the first half of it. Summers are long, but then they're also quite hot.
I never thought about the Roman origin of season definition. That is a new perspective and talking point!

Old 10-04-2019, 07:41 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Denial: "Nonsense! It's still summer. Heck, it was 74*F this afternoon. I didn't even wear a jacket today. See? See?"

Anger: "Damn it! Where's that global warming the chicken littles promised? I hope they all freeze to death this winter!"

Bargaining: "OK, fine. At least I didn't have to wear fleece and long johns today. Plus, please, please, keep it above 40*F."

Depression: "I hate winter. I hate outerwear! I hate raking leaves! Life sucks. And it won't stop sucking until June 2020."

Acceptance: "I ate too much at Thanksgiving dinner again. Let me go outside. Maybe the brisk air will freshen me up."

Texas. That's where. Record hottest September for them this year.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
So glad I live in a place that the trees are alive all year long. So glad I can go to the beach or sit by the pool when others are trying to stay warm.

They're alive here year all year long, too, buddy. Do they not teach what "dormancy" is in California public schools?

Old 10-04-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Funny, I thought Meteorologists thought Fall started when it was suppose to. Not when the CDF Meteorologists thought it started.
It was summer until September 23rd this year. About 90 Days after it started.
Again September is mostly a Summer month in the Northern Hemisphere. As June is mostly a spring month.

And surprise, it really feels that way. Might take a week, (Never seems like it at the start of Fall)

Astronomical Seasons
The astronomical definition uses the dates of equinoxes and solstices to mark the beginning and end of the seasons:

Spring begins on the spring equinox;
Summer begins on the summer solstice;
Fall (autumn) begins on the fall equinox; and
Winter begins on the winter solstice.
The beginning of each season marks the end of the last.

Because the timings of the equinoxes and solstices change each year, the length of astronomical seasons within a year and between years also vary.

I still don't know why on a METEOROLOGICAL forum, people are using the astronomical definition. This isn't an astronomy forum.

In most places, the weather for a season starts way before the solstice and equinox anyway. Do you think that on a normal year, we don't see snow til late December? That's ridiculous. Also, what good is studying weather if you don't use fixed dates? The solstice changes, but September 1st is always September 1st. We get fall weather way before September 23rd. Sure, it can still be hot in September, but I'm talking about average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather