Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2021, 01:55 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,216,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Update...119 wildfires now burning in BC.
Well that’s just great news…..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 04:20 PM

61 posts, read 65,340 times
It seems like west coast (BC) will be warmer than east coast (ON) this summer.

Toronto (Normal high: 27C) is 5 degrees warmer than Vancouver (Normal high: 22C) in July on average, but it's possible that Vancouver will be even slightly warmer than Toronto due to the position of jet stream this July. According to the latest temps forecast, Toronto will only reach a high of 21C on July 7 and continue to be cooler than seasonal late next week. Temps in Vancouver will be above seasonal (22C) for at least a week.

Old 07-02-2021, 05:01 PM

5,738 posts, read 3,513,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoca33 View Post

Toronto (Normal high: 27C) is 5 degrees warmer than Vancouver (Normal high: 22C) in July on average, but it's possible that Vancouver will be even slightly warmer than Toronto due to the position of jet stream this July. According to the latest temps forecast, Toronto will only reach a high of 21C on July 7 and continue to be cooler than seasonal late next week. Temps in Vancouver will be above seasonal (22C) for at least a week.
Toronto's not on the east coast. Halifax is.

Old 07-02-2021, 06:51 PM

1,548 posts, read 871,176 times
Quote:
Are you reinventing geography?

Old 07-02-2021, 08:21 PM

35,067 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
Environment Canada confirms it. 49.4 or about 121 in F.
Prior to this weekend the best Lytton has been able to do was 111/44, back in 1941.
The best the entire Dominion has been able to do was 113/45 in Saskatchewan back in 1937.

The U.S. Pacific Northwest and Canada's Pacific Southwest has never seen heat like this since Europeans showed up on the scene and may have never seen this kind of heat since the glaciers went away 14000 or so years ago.
This was a fluke. This may never happen again in the near future. Was the temperature in Lytton helped by a down-sloping wind, akin to a Chinook? Most times in NYC when we have touched 40°C (or once exceeded it on July 9, 1936) this was a factor. Those temperatures almost always feature a northwest or due-west wind.

Old 07-03-2021, 03:56 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This was a fluke. This may never happen again in the near future. Was the temperature in Lytton helped by a down-sloping wind, akin to a Chinook? Most times in NYC when we have touched 40°C (or once exceeded it on July 9, 1936) this was a factor. Those temperatures almost always feature a northwest or due-west wind.
It will happen again, just maybe not in our lifetimes. I'd give it a 50/50 chance of happening again in my lifetime (I'm 28)

Old 07-03-2021, 06:01 AM

1,548 posts, read 871,176 times
Saskatchewan's record stood for 84 years. Being broken by 8F means likely that the record will stay for a LONG time if not forever.

Old 07-03-2021, 07:18 AM

29,531 posts, read 19,620,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
It will happen again, just maybe not in our lifetimes. I'd give it a 50/50 chance of happening again in my lifetime (I'm 28)
I'm sure it happened in the past too when the Western part of North America was in drought several hundred years ago or during the Holocene Optimum when the Northern Plains were much drier and warmer. We might be heading that way again

Old 07-03-2021, 07:48 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,216,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I'm sure it happened in the past too when the Western part of North America was in drought several hundred years ago or during the Holocene Optimum when the Northern Plains were much drier and warmer. We might be heading that way again
Yup, Chicago is gonna become a desert with even a warmer climate in just fractions of a degree warmer than the present Chicago climate. At the very least Chicago will become a semi arid climate should the increase in rainfall the past several decades reverse themselves.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:34 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post

A lot depends on what really happens with climate change in coming decades (or if anything happens). The real question on whether it's a fluke or not is would the temperature have still been 49C if we had the same atmospheric conditions in say 1937 (when the previous record in Saskatchewan happened). When Lytton itself was just a degree below the 1937 record in (I want to say) 1941 was it the same atmospheric conditions as now (and by that I mean jet stream pattern, etc. not how much CO2 was in the air, we already know it was almost certainly less).

Science tells me the record would've still been broken but not by nearly as much, but climate can be so complex its hard to tell and we really can't prove or disprove it.

If I had to bet on it, I'd say it won't happen again in my lifetime (I'm 53) but I do think the original 1937 record will be broken somewhere in Canada more than once during it.

Quote:

Would that be the first time this has happened?

As for the other argument people are giving, yes Toronto is technically not on "the coast" but I think it is meant as such the same as Buffalo and Pittsburgh are part of the US East Coast as a "region". My guess is "east coast" for Canada ends and "Midwest" begins at the Ontario/Manitoba border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather