Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 02:14 PM

2,841 posts, read 1,431,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
That's downtown though.
Nonetheless, it applies to those that live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Most humid continental climates have usually overcast and rainy summers. Seasonality for me should mean that the summers should "look" different from winters -- Winters are cloudy and snowy. Summers are just a bit sunnier, but can be cloudy and damp as well. Summer and winter skies don't look that different. Only distinguishing feature is the ground with the snow cover, bare trees and of course the temperatures (although I was focusing on the visual differences). To be honest, a true continental climate are those that have a dry summer (Dsa and Dsb), but nobody cares about those. So, if anything, humid continental climates are rather liked and far from underrated. But that's because many large cities in the world have Dfa climates (NYC, Chicago, Toronto, Bucharest, etc).

Dfa climate's "sunny" summers may indeed be far sunnier than their winters, but they're still not very sunny and are hardly comparable to those of Mediterranean climates which actually have sunny summers. Not to mention, longer days in the summer means more sunshine likelihood, so I wouldn't count protracted summer days which naturally raise the sunshine hours count. My family visited Chicago back in June 2011 and they complained how cloudy and humid it was with some cool nights. I think "true" continental climates with distinct seasons are those with dry & reliably hot summers, occasionally snowy winters and wet springs (notice how every season has its own weather trend, whereas Dfa climates can have rain and clouds anytime of the year!), like these for instance:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishkek#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakk%C...(city)#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tashkent#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabul#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehran#Climate

Swimming is more appropriate in leisure centres in Dfa climates, since rivers and beaches will tend to have cool waters for most people (although that's debatable and it depends on the person). FYI, blooming foliage and fall foliage occur in more milder subtropical climates as well. Deciduous plants are not native here in Sydney/SE Australia and those planted here do excellent in this climate with their stunning autumn foliage!
Can't comment on many other cities, but I've found many days here during summer to be reasonable in terms of sunniness.

Beach water is warm enough for me in Jul-Sep, it may not be so for others however.

Yes, like I said before, subtropical climates do have seasons. They just don't have them at their peak.

I think your comment really demonstrates the subjectivity of how good or bad a climate is, which I started this thread by pointing out.

Old 12-20-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I wouldn't say they are underrated, just too cold for too long.

While winter would be great for skiing on nearby hills, and skating etc. The coldest 4 months of a Toronto spring/autumn are still much colder than my winter, which only leaves the 3 summer months of summer being warmer than my Oceanic climate, and only by an average of 2C - not well balanced imo, but rather just a cold/chilly climate, with a nice summer.
Despite subjectivity I can see why you think so. I've never been living anywhere outside of Toronto, but if I lived in a temperate (be it subtropical, oceanic, Mediterranean, or highland) climate for a signficant amount of time, I wouldn't be accustomed to the non-temperate nature of continental climates.

Old 12-20-2021, 02:26 PM

1,562 posts, read 883,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Nonetheless, it applies to those that live there.
None of the local networks use that station for forecast. Regardless it is the least representative for Toronto. Are you saying the other stations are cold?

Old 12-20-2021, 02:51 PM

I didn't know they didn't use it for forecast. Nor did I know there was more than 1 station, I've only ever seen data for The Annex and never heard of data from elsewhere.

Old 12-20-2021, 02:58 PM

1,562 posts, read 883,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
I didn't know they didn't use it for forecast. Nor did I know there was more than 1 station, I've only ever seen data for The Annex and never heard of data from elsewhere.
You don't think it's okay for Toronto to be too cold for some?

Old 12-20-2021, 03:01 PM

Of course not. I have no problem if Toronto is not to some people's taste.

Old 12-20-2021, 04:22 PM

13,677 posts, read 9,756,845 times
Having escaped from the American Midwest, I absolutely detest humid continental climates. Winters are too cold, too windy, too humid and too long. Summers are stifling hot. Spring and summer are too short and too uneven. The last snow is typically in mid-April, but by early May, air conditioning is already required.

Instead I'd prefer a climate where it is possible to be comfortable in a traditional business-suit year-round: not sweat in summer, not shiver in winter. Set the temperature at 60 degrees, and forget it.

Old 12-20-2021, 04:49 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,908,444 times
I personally love humid continental climates and tend to favor the Dfc/Dfb ones in particular.

My ideal climate is Labrador City or St. John's (Newfoundland/Labrador). I enjoy all seasons but favor winter and fall. I like winters that are cold, snowy and long.

I guess they are underrated since a lot of people like Mediterranean climates or prefer less changeable climates.

Old 12-20-2021, 04:53 PM

102 posts, read 83,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Having escaped from the American Midwest, I absolutely detest humid continental climates. Winters are too cold, too windy, too humid and too long. Summers are stifling hot. Spring and summer are too short and too uneven. The last snow is typically in mid-April, but by early May, air conditioning is already required.

Instead I'd prefer a climate where it is possible to be comfortable in a traditional business-suit year-round: not sweat in summer, not shiver in winter. Set the temperature at 60 degrees, and forget it.
Well summers are not stifling hot compare to humid subtropical climates. Oceanic climates have coolish summers and subtropical/tropical climates have sweltering summers, only humid continental climates have warm to occasionally hot summers with average highs in the upper 70s and low 80s (Southern Ontario, Massachusetts). Similarly, Toronto's summers are only hot for people from Vancouver, cities like Houston and New Orleans have stifling hot summers.

Last edited by Mandy242; 12-20-2021 at 05:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather