Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 04:01 PM
pdw

2,692 posts, read 3,112,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy242 View Post
And the seasonal lag also causes September and even early October to be warm to hot at times in Southern Ontario, 20C+ days are not uncommon in October.
Those months feel like the most wild card months we experience here. October is mostly a cold month, light dusting of snow that doesn’t stick to the ground will happen occasionally, but like you mentioned the 20s happen sometimes too. Highs in the single digits C happen pretty often in September too, but it can also get to 31, 32 or 33 C from time to time. I imagine this is what it must be like living in Alberta or Colorado with such big temperature swings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 04:24 PM

5,753 posts, read 3,540,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Chicago is colder than my climate for 7 months of the year, and colder than the warmest NZ climates for 8-9 months of the year.
I'm not sure how wavehunter thinks they're going to get much traction by trying to prove Chicago to be subtropical.

Old 12-28-2021, 04:39 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,745,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
I'm not sure how wavehunter thinks they're going to get much traction by trying to prove Chicago to be subtropical.
I think there has been a big increase of this sort of thing after the release of Brian Griffin's best seller, "Wish it, Want it, Do it"

Would be interesting to see if positive thinking could affect the movement of air masses and the tilt of the planet.

Old 12-28-2021, 07:56 PM

102 posts, read 83,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Those months feel like the most wild card months we experience here. October is mostly a cold month, light dusting of snow that doesn’t stick to the ground will happen occasionally, but like you mentioned the 20s happen sometimes too. Highs in the single digits C happen pretty often in September too, but it can also get to 31, 32 or 33 C from time to time. I imagine this is what it must be like living in Alberta or Colorado with such big temperature swings
Similarly, spring months are also unpredictable in Southern Ontario. Temps can drop below freezing, but it can also reach 25C in April. It depends on the jet stream, though there are more cold days than warm days in spring.

Old 12-28-2021, 09:19 PM
pdw

2,692 posts, read 3,112,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy242 View Post
Similarly, spring months are also unpredictable in Southern Ontario. Temps can drop below freezing, but it can also reach 25C in April. It depends on the jet stream, though there are more cold days than warm days in spring.
Youre right spring is definitely unpredictable. I remember a few years back when it hit 25C in March and people were heading to the beach to sunbathe. I can’t help but feel though that the maritime influences of the Great Lakes have a disappointing effect. The sun is shining bright and strong but the temperatures struggle to rise because of the cool moist air from the lakes. It could be 20C in Iowa and 5C here on the same day.

Old 12-29-2021, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curleriren View Post
To Joe:

Chicago has a daily average high that shows about half of the year is at least as warm or warmer than New Zealand - 7 months, in fact. And the summer in Chicago is hotter than anywhere in New Zealand. 5 months are colder. 2 are similar. 5 are warmer. We got that?

Chicago sees heat well beyond what Christchurch sees and thus, no, it’s utterly absurd and silly of you to claim that “Chicago/continental climates in general are dominated by cold”. They are not. Chicago is not. And the fact that you have to claim it is by comparing it exclusively to your climate shows that the facts aren’t on your side, and your worldview is laughable.

My South Island climate has warmer highs than Chicago for 7 months, and the warmest NZ climates are warmer for 8-9 months.

Chicago isn't dominated by cold, rather just has cold majority weather.

Old 12-29-2021, 05:02 PM

Quote:
You continue to lie and shift the goal posts.

The South Island is typical of Christchurch, which has 5 months warmer, 2 months similar, and 5 months colder highs than Chicago. On top of that, your climate gets no comparable extended periods of actual heat, unlike Chicago. Auckland and much of the north island, which is borderline subtropical oceanic, is warmer than Chicago for a majority of the year, and yet doesn’t have as hot a summer season.

You’re now reduced to arguing your *particular* South Island New Zealand climate is “warm for x amount of months”, ergo, Chicago is dominated by cold weather, or calling Chicago’s weather conditions “cold majority”. No, Joe. You’re a troll, quite frankly.

Your climate is not warmer than Chicago, period. And “cold majority” means the same ****ing thing as “cold dominant”
Lol - my South Island climate has warmer highs than Chicago for 7 months of the year .... and so does Christchurch. The lower South Iskand also has climates with 7 months warmer than Chicago.

Chicago is classic 4 season that has cool/cold majority weather ..... you need to accept this, and move on.

Old 12-29-2021, 05:39 PM

271 posts, read 296,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeesterJ View Post
They are def underrated, because a lot of posters here live in on of them. Let me tell you that many Europeans would murder to live in in a humid continental climate
A lot of Europe is humid continental isn't it? Or at least Eastern Europe is. Due to the lower standard of living and political concerns in some places, I can understand why moving there would be unappealing for most. But what about Sweden and Finland? They have some humid continental climates, too.

Old 12-29-2021, 06:01 PM

Quote:

I never argued that Chicago was subtropical, you continue to construct Strawman arguments. You are desperate to convince yourself that the Canadian continental/subarctic climate extends all the way down to the Mexican border and around to Florida. You’re mad that Americans have a diversity of climates, including warm ones, and you’re desperate to try to tarnish that. Thus, you’ve taken to spreading fantasies about the “continental climate/ecological fail of the US south, and burst into tears silently whenever anyone posts a picture of the subtropical ecology of the US south or points out the warm temperatures it’s experiencing.

I argued that Chicago is not a “cold city” and that continental climates could not be described as cold. A climate dominated by cold would be Subarctic.
It was you, or one of your alter egos, spreading fantasies about the current historically warm December in the Eastern US somehow being normal.

As for the "subtropical ecology" of the southeast US, it's just inferior. Sorry, but I have to call it like it is.

Coldwater River Marks Mississippi
United States National Weather Service, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

Old 12-29-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christchurch

You’re a ****ing liar Joe.

You can ignore the data all you want, but the tables show that Chicago is warmer than Christchurch, often much more so, for 5 months of the year, has similar temperatures for 2 and is colder for 5.

Summer (F)

Chicago average highs:

81, 85, 83

Christchurch:

70, 73, 72

Winner, Chicago, 3 months.

Autumn

Chicago:

77, 64, 50

Christchurch:

69, 64, 58

Tie - Chicago/Christchurch both 1 month.

Winter

Chicago:

38, 33, 37

Christchurch:

53, 53, 54

Winner - Christchurch 3 months.

Spring

Chicago:

48, 60, 72

Christchurch:

59, 62, 67

About a tie. 1 month warmer CH, 1 month about the same, 1 month warmer CHI

Do I need to break it down any more for you Joe? You continually lie about American climates because you have some kind of anti-American inferiority complex on the topic. And you display a degree of anti-Americanism in the other forums on City-Data.

No, Chicago does not have “cool to cold majority weather”. You need to accept this, stop lying, be an actually honest person, and start looking at climate from a global, objective perspective, rather than from an ignorant “northern South Island New Zealand” perspective.

Winnipeg is a continental climate dominated by cold, as is Moscow, or Duluth, Minnesota. Hence, the Dfb classification, the Siberian continental subtypes, or the subarctic/subarctic continental climates.

You are egregiously wrong, and you continue to lie. I’d like you to apologize and admit how you wrong you are. Please and thank you.
And yet Christchurch still manages to be almost a full degree Fahrenheit warmer over the course of the year and can grow things that Chicago can only dream of.

Christchurch Botanic Gardens 17
Krzysztof Golik, CC BY-SA 4.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather