Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 07:17 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,723,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curleriren View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christchurch

You’re a ****ing liar Joe.

You can ignore the data all you want, but the tables show that Chicago is warmer than Christchurch, often much more so, for 5 months of the year, has similar temperatures for 2 and is colder for 5.

Summer (F)

Chicago average highs:

81, 85, 83

Christchurch:

70, 73, 72

Winner, Chicago, 3 months.

Autumn

Chicago:

77, 64, 50

Christchurch:

69, 64, 58

Tie - Chicago/Christchurch both 1 month.

Winter

Chicago:

38, 33, 37

Christchurch:

53, 53, 54

Winner - Christchurch 3 months.

Spring

Chicago:

48, 60, 72

Christchurch:

59, 62, 67

About a tie. 1 month warmer CH, 1 month about the same, 1 month warmer CHI

Do I need to break it down any more for you Joe? You continually lie about American climates because you have some kind of anti-American inferiority complex on the topic. And you display a degree of anti-Americanism in the other forums on City-Data.

No, Chicago does not have “cool to cold majority weather”. You need to accept this, stop lying, be an actually honest person, and start looking at climate from a global, objective perspective, rather than from an ignorant “northern South Island New Zealand” perspective.

Winnipeg is a continental climate dominated by cold, as is Moscow, or Duluth, Minnesota. Hence, the Dfb classification, the Siberian continental subtypes, or the subarctic/subarctic continental climates.

You are egregiously wrong, and you continue to lie. I’d like you to apologize and admit how you wrong you are. Please and thank you.
Yep, well there are warmer stations for Christchurch, and colder stations for Chicago. 7 months warmer in the mid South Island and lower South Island, just like my northern South Island location .... which being the place I actually live in, is really the only place I'm interested in for this discussion.

My climate is cool/warm majority weather, and Chicago is cold/cool majority weather - can't see how this can be denied.

I'm very well known for my strong anti American views - I'm actually the treasurer for the local anti American club, and at present am organising a New Year sausage sizzle as a fund raiser, so the club can buy some new US flags for a flag burning ..... actually a sore point with me - many folk in the club are enthusiastic enough to turn up for a flag burning or embassy siege, but where are they when we're doing a sausage sizzle, or a car wash etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 08:13 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,679,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
And yet Christchurch still manages to be almost a full degree Fahrenheit warmer over the course of the year and can grow things that Chicago can only dream of.
The Lincoln Park Conservatory in Chicago grows things that Christchurch can only dream of.

Old 12-29-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
A palm tree amidst summer greenery is supposed to make me think Christchurch is an evergreen subtropical paradise?
Pretty much every species in that photo is an introduced species, except the duck.

Christchurch is naturally evergreen in a way that probably only southern Floridians and Hawaiians can relate to.

Christchurch ain't subtropical, or a paradise, but it is most certainly evergreen in it's natural vegetation.

Old 12-29-2021, 08:51 PM

5,749 posts, read 3,531,809 times
Quote:
You keep cherry picking as per usual, and your argument fails because you keep ignoring facts to claim that the south is inferior in ecology in some inexact way because there’s deciduous canopy forest in the “warm temperate moist forest” eco region of the inland south.

Ive illustrated and explained how the forests you keep cherry picking winter deciduous pics of belong to the subtropical ecology and climate zone, and I’ve similarly shown that you can cherry pick photos of the same dead, deciduous winter landscapes in any comparable location of subtropical southern China.

You never respond to these posts because you simply don’t have an argument.

The US south is like any comparable subtropical region in East Asia. Sorry, I have to tell it like it is:
TBH, I've never been a huge fan of the Asian subtropics either. I prefer the Southern Hemisphere ones.

Quote:

Also, it wasn’t claimed that this December wasn’t warmer than average for parts of the country (it has yet to be seen if it is “the warmest ever December” for the lower 48, which is just…not looking like the truth, lmao).
Time will tell, but it certainly was shaping up to be the warmest ever a couple of days ago.

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/...922442243?s=20

Quote:
It was stated that Chicago has been warmer in the winter than it has been this week, and that this week’s temperatures weren’t higher than average.

But you keep making strawman’s, for some reason.
We'll never know what you said because your posts keep getting deleted but I don't recall you saying anything about "this week". Regardless, it has actually been above average in Chicago every single day this week, sometimes significantly so.

Source: https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/sites/locate.php

Old 12-29-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Lmao, no. Christchurch is not naturally evergreen to anywhere NEAR the same extent as the tropical regions of south Florida and Hawaii and you can take your troll posts out of here, please.

This is Christchurch in winter:

That’s “evergreen”?! You’re comparing that to south Florida and Hawaii? Joe, you’re a liar.
I would suggest posting photos of the natural environment, but there isn't really any left around Christchurch.

I would say my region is even more evergreen than Florida, as Florida does have spring deciduous species.

Old 12-29-2021, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Chicago’s average December high is 38, and this week, the average highs ranges from 19 to 45, with most days in the 20s and 30s. Average.

Chicago’s mean maximum for December and upcoming January is 58 and 53, respectively. Hasn’t been reached this week.

Chicago’s daily December and January means are 32 and 26…this week meets those averages.

Chicago’s average low for December/January: 25 and 20.

This week’s lowest temperatures: 7 and 9. Most frequently in the 20s and 30s.

So explain to me how Chicago has been at all “above average” this week, and in this forecast?
Did you not see the mesonet graphic? High temperatures at O'Hare last 7 days were: 46, 57, 55, 43, 47, 37, 36 Fahrenheit. Minimum temperatures equally above average. The lowest temperature was 26°F on the 26th. Nothing remotely close to 7 degrees.

Every single day this week above average.

Every. Single. Day. This. Week. Above. Average.

Is there another Chicago? Maybe you're taking about the musical???

Old 12-29-2021, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post

I would say my region is even more evergreen than Florida, as Florida does have spring deciduous species.
Actually Florida has winter deciduous species too. Even South Florida has a few. This image was taken January 2, 2014.

Cypress swamp Everglades
Fredlyfish4, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Old 12-29-2021, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Your graph is a lie:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago

Compare that to the forecast for this week. Not. Above. Average. Unless you think Chicago is arctic in the winter.
The data come from the NOAA and the NWS. They're lying now? Surely you can do better than to resort to tinfoil conspiracies.

Anyway, the forecast the NWS next seven days for Chicago compared to normal maximum for that day:

30th: 39 (Normal 33)
31st: 42 (33)
1st: 34 (32.9)
2nd 17 (32.7)
3rd 27 (32.6)
4th: 35 (32.4)
5th: 37 (32.3)

So 5 out of 7 days above normal and the average for week also above normal (slightly--it's basically a draw).

Why are you arguing about weather that hasn't even happened yet? None of this changes the fact that for the past week and the past month Chicago, along with most of the lower 48, has been way above average.

Old 12-29-2021, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Actually Florida has winter deciduous species too. Even South Florida has a few. This image was taken January 2, 2014.

Cypress swamp Everglades
Fredlyfish4, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons
Wow, that is something that NZ doesn't have.

Quote:
Joe, that is a clinically insane thing to say:

No, your region is nakedly, obviously more deciduous than subtropical and tropical Florida, and it isn’t remotely a comparison:

Florida obviously has less deciduous ecology as a proportion than the South Island. Stop lying please.
This is the natural environment in my area. As you can see, it still evergreen in the middle of winter.

Old 12-29-2021, 10:08 PM

Quote:

I didn’t say it didn’t have deciduous species. It clearly has a lot less in proportion to its evergreen species than South Island New Zealand does.

Joe will be able to answer better than me but I believe most of those deciduous trees in your photos of Christchurch are not native. As for native flora in New Zealand:

Quote:
Approximately 28 species (4.8%) of the New Zealand woody flora have a marked loss of leaves in winter. Only 11 species are consistently fully winter deciduous (adults are entirely leafless, or nearly so, towards the end of winter) although juvenile plants in some populations may retain significant foliage during the winter. ...
Source: https://www.nzpcn.org.nz/flora/vascu...iduous-plants/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather