Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:09 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,744,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
where is the best all around weather in the world not to cold not to hot just right.

Anywhere within 10 degrees of the equator between 3000 and 5000ft in elevation. Highs in the low to mid 70's and lows in the mid 50's all year round!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 06:59 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,070,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I just looked then up. They look good. Didn't know such a place existed

But do they have enough sunshine? I don't mind lots of rain as long as it's sunny most of the time. At least 2500 hours?

The main reason I want a place with lots of rain is so that it would look green and lush, and I imagine that requires > 40 inches of rain. Or at least, I live in a place with 45 inches of rain so I assume much less would be drought like. But I might like Meditterean vegetation as well.
Sunshine in those places would probably be a bit marginal. I think Norfolk Island has around 2400 - 2500 and the other two are probably similar as is Sydney and places with a similar climate on the coast of NSW.

As for 'lushness', I think it depends more on potential evapotranspiration than raw rainfall. These subtropical islands have mild summers (Norfolk Island has a record high of only 83 F), so they could probably get away with less rainfall than places that average 90+ F during summer like the American South or much of the Mediterranean.

It looks as though you're in a double bind as high sunshine generally implies low rainfall (or at least a substantial dry season). The sunniest subtropical islands tend to be those influenced by cold ocean currents whereas Norfolk Island and the like are dominated by the warm East Australia current. Warm water gives off moisture more readily and this moist air, originating from warmer water, has a higher dew point than what you would get from cooler water, hence it condenses more easily and you get more cloud and rain.

I share your preferences for lush vegetation and high sunshine (preferably around the 3000 hr mark) but it does seem like we need to compromise somewhere. My preference would probably be around the central east coast of Australia -- somewhere like Coff's Harbour, the Gold Coast, etc. However you can still have the problem that winter dry spells can lead to parched grass, etc.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:30 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Quote:
where is the best all around weather in the world not to cold not to hot just right.
Is there a vacant lot in your neighborhood? All I need is a house like yours and a place to fish. Temps would be fine year round.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:34 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,732,343 times
Norfolk Island , and to a lesser extent Lord Howe Island, would have to have one of the most monotonous climates on the planet.
Australia's Offshore Islands - Daily Weather Observations
These are subtropical islands, free from extremes, but minimums consistently above 14-15C with humidity and high dew point, can be quite a clammy climate.
The low diurnal ranges, and lack of real seasons would get to me after a while.
Climate statistics for Australian locations
Strange that the highest rainfall is during the winter months, as this does not correspond to similar latitudes on the mainland.
By the way ChesterNZ, most Kiwis living on the Gold Coast find the heat much more than they bargained for.
I personally would not live any further north than Port Macquarie, probably around Forster is ideal.

Last edited by Derek40; 11-05-2010 at 04:44 AM..

Old 11-05-2010, 05:53 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,070,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Norfolk Island , and to a lesser extent Lord Howe Island, would have to have one of the most monotonous climates on the planet.
I don't know about that. There is significant seasonal variation. Somewhere like Singapore is much more monotonous in my view.

Quote:
These are subtropical islands, free from extremes, but minimums consistently above 14-15C with humidity and high dew point, can be quite a clammy climate.
Do you think one could do without air conditioning in these places? Perhaps for sleeping it might be necessary.

Quote:
Strange that the highest rainfall is during the winter months, as this does not correspond to similar latitudes on the mainland.
Yes, I wondered about that. This is also true of Lord Howe and Raoul islands. Any idea why this is?

Quote:
By the way ChesterNZ, most Kiwis living on the Gold Coast find the heat much more than they bargained for.
I personally would not live any further north than Port Macquarie, probably around Forster is ideal.
Well, I've only been during winter. But when I was in Samoa I experienced warmer and more humid conditions than what the Gold Coast sees in summer and it wasn't too bad (provided I stayed in the shade). I didn't even have air conditioning in my room. I dealt with it by taking cold showers (although the 'cold' water was quite warm) and sleeping on top of the sheets. It was reasonably comfortable on the whole, but it was quite annoying in that there was a very narrow window during which I could comfortably exert myself during daylight hours. My uphill walks had to take place between 7 and 9 AM.

So I think I could handle a Gold Coast summer provided I'm not doing heavy labour. Of course, a lot of people couldn't take it (like my parents, who insist on wearing cardigans / jerseys no matter how hot it is). My uncle lives there nine months of the year and lives here during summer because he finds it more comfortable (our summer is like a Gold Coast winter).

For me anywhere between Sydney and Rockhampton would be fine.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:04 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,036,479 times
Quote:
San Fransisco, if you don't mind earthquakes, the weather is phenomenal.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:52 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post

Do you think one could do without air conditioning in these places? Perhaps for sleeping it might be necessary.
It would be completely unnecessary for me. The days never get really hot so it doesn't get that hot inside. Good ventilation would help too.We probably had some humid summer days similar to the island's averages and the houses stayed rather comfortable, a bit more than most of the summer. Anyone living there for a while would probably get used to the humidity but the lose the ability to stand any amount of cold.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:23 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times
San Jose, CA

*Real* summers (unlike San Francisco) that are not too hot (unlike southern CA)

Mild winters as well.

I prefer "boring" weather like this

Old 11-05-2010, 01:42 PM

150 posts, read 561,053 times
The more I read…the more I think Bermuda Island is as close to perfection as you can get:

the 33 latitude ensures a sunny climate and not the dark winters of the higher latitudes –
Real summers, unlike coastal California, where you shiver on the beach amid the fog and clouds in summer –
The island location ensures a breezy hot season unlike the interior southern USA –
No frosts, and very few nights under 10 C (50 F) –
Daily highs in summer normally less than 87 F (30 C) –
Few bugs/snakes/and critters

Old 11-07-2010, 03:58 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,735,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Is there a vacant lot in your neighborhood? All I need is a house like yours and a place to fish. Temps would be fine year round.

ya they got some lots for sale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather