Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 05:06 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,627,270 times

Advertisements

I just moved to the Seattle area a couple months ago from the bitter cold Midwest (Nebraska), so this January has felt AMAZING to me! :-) We have flower buds coming out already on some of the landscaping in our front yard- unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 10:17 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I just moved to the Seattle area a couple months ago from the bitter cold Midwest (Nebraska), so this January has felt AMAZING to me! :-) We have flower buds coming out already on some of the landscaping in our front yard- unbelievable.
While this winter has indeed been even milder than normal, even a normal Seattle winter will hardly seem like winter to you. As a long time resident here (but having lived in numerous other places - including the Midwest) I consider winter to be generally over on Feb 1st. I have to say that I don't QUITE consider that the beginning of spring (I consider March 1st to be that date) but February is not really winter here either (not that winter is usually very rough anyway). February is generally a kind of "in between" month - not really winter anymore but not QUITE spring. This year however, it's likely to BE spring. I predict the daff's will be blooming in my yard before the end of February this year. Already the Indian Plum bushes - which make up much of the understory foliage in the area - are ALREADY opening their leaves (an event which typically happens in mid-February). In fact, this year the were opening their leaves during the last week of January.

Ken

Old 02-03-2010, 03:58 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Truckloads of snow dumped on melting Vancouver mountain | Reuters

Old 02-03-2010, 08:00 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Let's hope they get Cypress ready in time. They had to close it to the public several weeks earlier than expected in order to make extra preparations because of the warm weather we've been having. Are you coming up for the games?

Old 02-04-2010, 07:07 AM

175 posts, read 324,129 times
Yeah. What I love the most about winter in Seattle (or the Pacific Northwest region) is the fact that the coldest period of the year is late December to early January rather than a month later. It begins warming up around mid-January already, though admittedly, the temperature variation during the winter months is minuscule.

The rain can get depressing though, and temperatures can be pathetic in the summer (especially early summer where it would sometimes struggle to break mid sixties and seventies), but IMO, it's got some of the best weather in the United States with both its mild winter and summer (and it's really dry in the summer). I really can't wait to go back already

Old 02-04-2010, 09:48 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,020,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbereth View Post
The rain can get depressing though, and temperatures can be pathetic in the summer (especially early summer where it would sometimes struggle to break mid sixties and seventies), but IMO, it's got some of the best weather in the United States with both its mild winter and summer (and it's really dry in the summer). I really can't wait to go back already
Heh. Try living in England. Sometimes it doesn't get out of the 50's in early summer, and we get about 40% of the max possible sunshine in "summer". Last August in my hometown Buxton there was a maximum temperature of 54 degrees and we had 22% of the max possible sun.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
Heh. Try living in England. Sometimes it doesn't get out of the 50's in early summer, and we get about 40% of the max possible sunshine in "summer". Last August in my hometown Buxton there was a maximum temperature of 54 degrees and we had 22% of the max possible sun.
Actually, speaking as someone who spent time in England as kid (and who's mother is FROM England) I can say pretty securely that Seattle's climate is pretty similar to England's in many ways. England IS cooler of course - but then again even Southern England is NORTH of the Canadian border so that WILL have an effect on the climate. Overall, though the two climates are more alike than they are different and anyone coming from England will feel pretty much at home here in regards to weather.

Ken

Old 02-04-2010, 09:57 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,020,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Actually, speaking as someone who spent time in England as kid (and who's mother is FROM England) I can say pretty securely that Seattle's climate is pretty similar to England's in many ways. England IS cooler of course - but then again even Southern England is NORTH of the Canadian border so that WILL have an effect on the climate. Overall, though the two climates are more alike than they are different and anyone coming from England will feel pretty much at home here in regards to weather.

Ken

I am pretty sure they would notice how much cloudier and wetter it is in summer in England than Seattle or vice versa. London gets approximately twice the rainfall than Seattle in June, July & August and about 30% less sunshine (rainfall stats from worldclimate.com).

Old 02-04-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I am pretty sure they would notice how much cloudier and wetter it is in summer in England than Seattle or vice versa. London gets approximately twice the rainfall than Seattle in June, July & August and about 30% less sunshine (rainfall stats from worldclimate.com).
Yeah, they are not identical, but in general they both have the same mild climate (relatively cool summers (Seattle's are some of the coolest in the US) and relatively mild winters). London for example DOES have more rain in the summer (though not drastically more) but the temp are only about 5 degrees cooler and winter temps are virtually identical (but with Seattle getting more rain).

As I said, overall the similarities far outweigh the differences. Both have what is referred to as an Oceanic Climate.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...ocid2=USWA0395

Oceanic climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ken

Old 02-04-2010, 10:11 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Toronto is occaisionally prone to very-late ending springs,
which would probably rival some of the UK's worst summer conditions.

In 1996 our trees waited until mid-June to start budding-out, because our highs remained mostly in the 50's F until then.
There were probably occaisional highs in the high 40's F at least until late-May, if not one in early-June.
Starting in May would only see highs peaking at the low 60's F for a day or two, once every 1-3 weeks.
I don't remember how cloudy it was, but cloud-cover played a big role in keeping the temps down most days.

It was nearly July 1st before we had "full-green", (in about 10-12 days; rather rapid change, imho)
due to our weather patterns returning to more seasonal values mostly in the 70's F.

I think I got a few nasty sunburns since I wore a coat everyday in May, and most days in early-June.
So by the time it started being warm enough to be out in a t-shirt, the UV level was 9.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather