Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 02:56 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,464,547 times

Advertisements

It is not as bad as La Paz though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 06:16 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
La Paz is quite good for its altitude. Coolest season is dry and quite sunny, mid-season not bad either. Just the "summer" part gets the unpleasantness. OK for many of us, but not for the high-temp fan club.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:33 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
La Paz's temperatures are truly abysmal. I don't even know why they would build a city in such a horrible location so high up. Average high in the warmest month is only 59F (15C). Many arctic locations have warmer summers than that! Also, almost every month of the year can have frost at night which would make it really chilly. However, as bad as the temperatures are, what would really get to me about living in La Paz is the lack of oxygen.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:44 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
La Paz is quite good for its altitude. Coolest season is dry and quite sunny, mid-season not bad either. Just the "summer" part gets the unpleasantness. OK for many of us, but not for the high-temp fan club.
La Paz doesn't really have any seasons, in the temperature sense.
If it were Toronto, I'd call it perpetual mid-Spring.

I actually like La Paz better than Bogata.
Neither of these cities have enjoyable daily means. (avg between high and low)
Both of these cities have decent afternoon highs if they happened on sunny days.
La Paz also has 8 months with records between 24-27 C,
while Bogata has 2 months with records at 24 C and the rest of the year cooler.
Just knowing it "can" reach 25 C is a mood booster.
Bogata has better lows, but that would only matter if I needed to be up late and outdoors.
(clubbing would be more comfy there)

Bogata's skies are almost as dismal as Lima's.
But La Paz's cloudiest two months have 5 hours of sun, and the rest of the year probably better than 50% chance of sun.
However Lima is better still, because it's warm enough I could do without additional sun heating.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
La Paz's temperatures are truly abysmal. I don't even know why they would build a city in such a horrible location so high up. Average high in the warmest month is only 59F (15C). Many arctic locations have warmer summers than that! Also, almost every month of the year can have frost at night which would make it really chilly. However, as bad as the temperatures are, what would really get to me about living in La Paz is the lack of oxygen.
I was using BBC Country Guides:
BBC - Weather Centre - World Weather - Average Conditions - La Paz

Highs of 17-19 C but with more sun sound better than perpetual 19 C avg highs with less sun, imho.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:01 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,464,547 times
Hmm weatherbase show much lower temps. But this appears to be at the airport which is located at a higher elevation. (13,123 ft vs 11,942 ft)

Old 02-06-2010, 07:04 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
According to my source the average highs are 17C-19C - many of the people don't live on the Altiplano. You have to take account of the altitude variations within the city. I don't have the "higher temperature" priority, though somewhere warmer than La Paz would certainly be preferred. But sunshine is much more important to me. La Paz over Lima any day. It's appearance is also quite spectacular. Had the experience of catching a taxi to a "nearby" ski field (off-season and no snow) at over 17,000 ft, spent a couple of hours on the upside of 15,000 ft.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:08 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,898,596 times
I just looked up La Paz average temps.

Oh my god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Too high!

Their record high is 24 C, every month has a record low between 7-2 C and their warmest average monthly low is 11 C, which to me means virtually every morning is cold.

Their temps are so chilly, I might even like living in Toronto better.
wow. That is just wow.

Looking at La Paz's average highs and lows, their highs are only 2-3C warmer than Melbourne's average July high year round, and their highest average low is 1C colder than Melbourne's July low. I can't imagine living in such a climate, every night of the year is cold, about 1/3rd of all nights would see frost, and days year round would have somewhat unpleasant windchills if there is any wind.

Last edited by §AB; 02-06-2010 at 07:17 PM..

Old 02-06-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
I just looked up La Paz average temps.

Oh my god.

wow. That is just wow.

Looking at La Paz's average highs and lows, their highs are only 2-3C warmer than Melbourne's average July high year round, and their highest average low is 1C colder than Melbourne's July low. I can't imagine living in such a climate, every night of the year is cold, about 1/3rd of all nights would see frost, and days year round would have somewhat unpleasant windchills if there is any wind.
Actually that post you quoted was about Bogota.
BBC - Weather Centre - World Weather - Average Conditions - Bogota

It's like pick one of the worst summer climates in Tasmania or NZ and repeat for eternity.
The number of days of rain, 3-6 hours of average daily sun, year-round...
all seem typical of the summers you love-to-hate, SAB.

The fact that only three months have a record-breaking high of 24 C
which means that I probably live there for 5 years and never see a high past 22-23 C.
To me, 24 C is just high enough that it can feel warm without sunshine.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 02-06-2010 at 07:44 PM..

Old 02-06-2010, 07:43 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
According to my source the average highs are 17C-19C - many of the people don't live on the Altiplano. You have to take account of the altitude variations within the city. I don't have the "higher temperature" priority, though somewhere warmer than La Paz would certainly be preferred. But sunshine is much more important to me. La Paz over Lima any day. It's appearance is also quite spectacular. Had the experience of catching a taxi to a "nearby" ski field (off-season and no snow) at over 17,000 ft, spent a couple of hours on the upside of 15,000 ft.
That's true that there is quite a variation of elevation within the city. I think I read the lowest neighbourhoods are up to 400 meters lower in elevation than the airport. Even if we look at BBC Country Guides, I think these tropical highland climates like La Paz and Bogota are a complete joke. I certainly wouldn't want to live in a place with a maximum temperature of the warmest month was only 19C. Even Fairbanks, AK has a warmer July max temperature than that and its almost at the Arctic Circle. Not to mention, the lack of oxygen associated with La Paz being at 3600 metres above sea level.

If I had to pick between Lima and La Paz which would be a case of picking between the lesser of two evils, I would still probably pick Lima. Despite the fact that they are perpetually foggy and chilly for the latitude, they are still warmer than La Paz and as a bonus, you have access to the ocean which La Paz doesn't have. I have always liked living around water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather