Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 07:26 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times

Advertisements

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) refers to episodes of depression that some people have that occur every year during fall or winter, when lower light levels and cooler air become more common in middle latitudes. Symptoms usually build up gradually in the late autumn and improve in spring and summer months.

Over the past several weeks the weather has been basically sunny and warm across many parts of the USA. This is typical in late April/early May. From the Southwestern States (AZ, CA), through the southern Plains, eastward to the Gulf/South Atlantic states, temps have been in the 80’s now for several weeks. This time of year, the Thermal Low in the Southwestern USA, as well as the Bermuda High/Southeast Ridge will really start pumping heat/higher dew points into the southern tier. Climatically, there seems little chance that any cool air will get a foothold till late October again (this is climatological).

The Southwestern Thermal Low:

The South Atlantic Ridge/Bermuda High:

People who suffer from SAD in the Northern Hemisphere seem to start to get the symptoms of SAD in November. In a strange way – some people seem to get the same symptoms in late April/early May as the heat starts building in parts of the USA. In the coming days the heat will really start building in the southern tier of the USA. This week should again see hot temps, and in some areas, rising dew points as the tropical flow out of the Caribbean/southern Gulf of Mexico tightens:

Do some people find maps like the ones above depressing…is there such a thing as reversed SAD?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 11:08 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,562,736 times
I think SAD is mostly about daylight and sunshine, not about temps that much. I'm a big SAD "victim" and I'd take a long 17°C sunny day over a cloudy tropical day with a 6pm sunset. There is definitely a reverse SAD. My grandma's most hated day in the year is the change to summer time as she gets depressed by long and sunny days.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:57 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Yes, the opposite does exist, though in a much smaller percentage.

I know someone who hates bright sunlight and warm temperatures, even mild ones (though he said he'd take desert extremes over tropical if he had to choose). He was raised in Buffalo, NY, and likes it COLD. Can't say that I ever noticed him "down" in warm sunshine but he did complain that he didn't like it.

So now he lives in ~ you won't believe this! ~ Viet Nam!!!! Long, sad story to that one, but let's just say that he HATES the cllimate conditions. And he's stuck there awhile.

I have to admit that I have trouble understanding this rare side of SAD, since I suffer terribly from lack of sunlight (and warmth). I'm one of those who could live in the sun 365 days of the year.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:32 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Yes, the opposite does exist, though in a much smaller percentage.

I know someone who hates bright sunlight and warm temperatures, even mild ones (though he said he'd take desert extremes over tropical if he had to choose). He was raised in Buffalo, NY, and likes it COLD. Can't say that I ever noticed him "down" in warm sunshine but he did complain that he didn't like it.

So now he lives in ~ you won't believe this! ~ Viet Nam!!!! Long, sad story to that one, but let's just say that he HATES the cllimate conditions. And he's stuck there awhile.

I have to admit that I have trouble understanding this rare side of SAD, since I suffer terribly from lack of sunlight (and warmth). I'm one of those who could live in the sun 365 days of the year.
Well if he picked a tropical climate at least he picked a relatively cloudy one.

For me, I can get SAD in our sunny summers when we can go two weeks without a cloud in the sky and no rain in sight. Especially if it's like high 30s and too hot to really do anything. I can't say a nice 24C sunny day ever depresses me, though, especially the way a cloudy winter day does. Even as someone who believes Perth is too sunny I still get a little down on those stormy, grey winter days, but sometimes in a good way! It actually makes me a bit more creative than usual being stuck indoors with the melancholy grey sky as a backdrop to my thoughts and feelings.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:11 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
Maybe I'm taking things too literal and missing something by that, but since SAD stands for Seasonal Affective Disorder, does it necessarily imply that the person's depression will arrive in the winter season in particular?

Or any particular season's arrival and duration (sunny, hot, rainy, wet, what have you) that triggers the condition?

Old 05-07-2011, 10:35 PM

678 posts, read 1,205,412 times

This is a lot SAD to me. No cold front on the way, and high pressure right over my town. I'm gonna cry.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:36 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
I hate the sunlight.
I hate the burning, sweating, exposing, dehydrating, annoying hot.

I hate working in the heat.
I hate getting out of work and walking in the heat, going to my car and it's even 10F degrees hotter

Warmth is overrated.

I'm stuck inside with the AC.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:28 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
Who needs "Summer SAD" when you can still get "Winter SAD" in summer in Buxton?

Old 05-08-2011, 06:05 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
I'm definetly SAD in the summer. And I mean that litterally. Its depressing needing to find A/C and not being able to enjoy the outdoors.. (above 80).. because bugs and bees are attacking me.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:09 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,547 times
I certainly don't suffer from SAD here, or in a place like Sydney, but definitely suffered it during my time further north (which was near the Qld border).
When the summer starts with the first hot spell in October, and there is no southerly changes, and it doesn't let up until Easter, then you've had a gutful. I hated it with a passion.
My mood became a feeling of Learned Helplessness, especially with no air-con for the first and last summer there.
I knew people who over-reacted and moved to places like Tasmania as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather