Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:27 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Wellington certainly is windy but I'd hardly call it cold. To me, Wellington's climate is mild year round without temperature extremes. The coldest it's ever gotten in the city is 28F! A cold city to me would be Winnipeg or Harbin.

I think the windiest area in the world is the Antarctic coast and sub-antarctic islands like Kerguelen. I read somewhere that Kerguelen can have windspeeds in excess of 150 km/h with gusts of more than 200 km/h as a relatively normal occurrence. It makes Wellington look rather calm... It's no wonder people don't live there....
The French station Dumont D'Urville in Antarctica has a top wind speed record of 324kph (1956-1992) - and that was recorded in a June. Would be fairly good windchill I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 10:06 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,261,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Wellington certainly is windy but I'd hardly call it cold. To me, Wellington's climate is mild year round without temperature extremes. The coldest it's ever gotten in the city is 28F! A cold city to me would be Winnipeg or Harbin.

I think the windiest area in the world is the Antarctic coast and sub-antarctic islands like Kerguelen. I read somewhere that Kerguelen can have windspeeds in excess of 150 km/h with gusts of more than 200 km/h as a relatively normal occurrence. It makes Wellington look rather calm... It's no wonder people don't live there....
It's cold in my book. Any city where I have to wear a jacket 12 months of the year is cold!

The wind chill can make it feel even colder. I can recall a day in December where the wind chill made it around 6C....

Admittedly I have never experienced the sort of cold weather you probably have so it is largely subjective and relative.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:55 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,898,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Wind doesn't bother me. Ideally though I'd like to be in a climate with at least 2500 hrs of sunshine annually, which rules out NZ towns. Nelson & Blenheim would almost pass. I could stand Ch'ch if living on the hills facing west, well above the dirty smoggy air the rest of the city endures. My house is in a fairly sheltered spot here and it's an easy walk to the city through pleasant surroundings.

Perth would be OK - that preference would disgust a certain erudite resident of Melbourne.
Sorry Rupert, I don't give 2 craps about where you want to live.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Sorry Rupert, I don't give 2 craps about where you want to live.
Nor I you, to be honest. My remark reflected your dislike of Perth as a city.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:17 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,573 times
In Australia, Perth is regarded as the windiest city and Canberra the least. Melbourne gets it's strongest gusts from the N-W and Sydney from the S-SE although winter-spring westerlies can be just as strong.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
It's cold in my book. Any city where I have to wear a jacket 12 months of the year is cold!

The wind chill can make it feel even colder. I can recall a day in December where the wind chill made it around 6C....

Admittedly I have never experienced the sort of cold weather you probably have so it is largely subjective and relative.
I agree. Wellington is one of the most butt fugly foul horror climates on this planet of ours. Summers are barely warmer than winters, averaging only some 18-20C for a high.

Enjoy it Rooppy, it enjoy it my home-boy.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
I agree. Wellington is one of the most butt fugly foul horror climates on this planet of ours. Summers are barely warmer than winters, averaging only some 18-20C for a high.

Enjoy it Rooppy, it enjoy it my home-boy.
Charmed I'm sure! I don't wear a jacket 12 months of the year, or anywhere near that. Your delicate constitution is not my problem. You and you fellow "heat freaks" need to understand that there are people who are comfortable in a much wider range of temperatures. And just for accuracy, sea-level daily maxima in summer average around 21.5C-22C.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:55 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Your delicate constitution is not my problem. You and you fellow "heat freaks" need to understand that there are people who are comfortable in a much wider range of temperatures. And just for accuracy, sea-level daily maxima in summer average around 21.5C-22C.
Even I can adapt to lowish temps (15-19 C/59-67 F) in reasonable comfort
wearing just a bathing suit on a clear day with high sun, even if it's windy.

There's a big difference in the range in temps that I enjoy the weather
and the range in temps I can "...ignore the temps to enjoy being outdoors..."

Sometimes I find my bare skin heats up more in the sun than it would under light clothing, like a t-shirt.

Perspective is a big issue though.
I find I feel cold in the Caribbean when it's below 80 F/27 C after 10 am or before 5 pm.
I also find Caribbean mornings under 70 F/21 C frigid.
I expect to feel near-perfection there; when I'm paying to experience their climate!

Old 05-28-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Charmed I'm sure! I don't wear a jacket 12 months of the year, or anywhere near that. Your delicate constitution is not my problem. You and you fellow "heat freaks" need to understand that there are people who are comfortable in a much wider range of temperatures. And just for accuracy, sea-level daily maxima in summer average around 21.5C-22C.
Sure, I am comfrotable in those temp ranges aswell, but that is rubbish summer weather, not warm enough to go out to the beach that's for sure.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:02 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Do I mind windiness? Yes!
Especially since our annual average mean is 7 C/45 F.

Toronto isn't "windy" per say
but there is usually a certain level of "breeziness"; one usually senses that the air is at least mixing.
(bad when it's already chilly, cold, very-cold or severely-cold )
Calm winds are uncommon in Toronto midday; they are rare treats.

I dislike windspeeds above 10 mph (16 km/h) if I'm not already warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather