Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 03:11 PM

670 posts, read 1,044,658 times

Advertisements

I live in humid heat, and it is terrible. I'll take the dry heat any day. When I visit friends in SoCal, it is so easy to take the weather...no perspiration. Normally, I drip in our SE heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 03:14 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,806,576 times
dry... not that we get that much heat here to begin with.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:16 PM

83,531 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Will never forget being in Vegas in late spring and looking at the outdoor thermometer. It said 103F! I was shocked because it didn't feel like it.. It was much more tolerable then when I went to Florida in the spring when it was 90F and humid. Oppresive air is like sucking oxygen right out of you.

So yeah.... Dry heat wins over humid heat in my books. We have more humid heat days here I wish was opposite. I might actually tolerate temps over 80 better if we had dry heat here..

Old 04-04-2014, 04:31 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,215,983 times
I have dry skin issues in spite of using lotion, so humidity is a must. I don't like heat at all, regardless of type. But if given the option, I would go with humid heat. I can tolerate sweating better than my skin being tortured in bright sunshine.

Ideally, summers in Upstate NY are more or less to my liking. Some humid days, intermixed with dry days from time to time. Arizona was pure hell, and Chennai, India was a disgusting steam bath where any deodorant fails.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:53 AM

854 posts, read 1,483,456 times
I find them equally miserable.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:40 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,851,378 times
Default Absolutely prefer dry over humid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
From my experience, dryheat is a bit overrated.

At the same temperature, dry heat is more comfy than humid heat. But if it is hot enough, it can be equally unpleasant just in different ways.

Very hot desert heat is actual heat; surface feel hot too touch, the air feels hotter than you and kinda oven like. I remember being outside in 110-115F degree heat in Arizona and it felt kinda scary.To me, humid heat (at lower temperatures) is more irritating if you're moving around, but doesn't feel as dangerous and it's more just sticky and a bit annoying. Also, dry heat tends to suck water out of you and you can very quickly get dehydrated without realizing. I remember going through a liter of water in half a day without moving around much in 90-95 degree dry heat.

But if it's only moderately hot (low 90s or less) dry heat feels a lot more comfortable than humid heat (just be careful to drink lots of water). But I'd take Florida heat over a desert heat. Though it's kinda like the choice between an oven and a steam bath...

You nailed it! I lived in Tucson,AZ for two years as a teen,and loved it,but did get heat exhaustion one day outside during P.E.,and strong sun has bothered me ever since.I start feeling nauseous if I don't get into the shade.

However, after living in the humidity of Ohio,which I detest,when my husband and I visited family in Spokane,WA, in summer,even though it was 90 degrees,we felt great and didn't even sweat! Even low 80's with the humidity here,you feel like a slimeball,and can't even pull your underwear down to pee,if you aren't in constant AC!
Winters in Spokane are too long and severe to consider living there,though.

Now, I would prefer not too hot [not over 85, is perfect] or too cold[not below 32].A Mediterranean climate would be perfect,such as San Diego,CA, or Medford,OR.

Could not stand the 9 months of overcast drizzly/dreary days of Portland or Seattle,though the temps would be great,but 'could' take the occasional highs and lows of southern Oregon.
Medford, is my second choice after San Diego.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:59 AM

610 posts, read 1,102,503 times
I would want to experience dry heat once in a while. There's only humid heat over here. A RH below 50% is only achieved when the temperature is above 35c (95f).

Old 07-06-2014, 01:08 PM

266 posts, read 286,724 times
Dry heat is better than humid heat because if it's hot out and the humidity is low, sweat evaporates more so your body has a better cooling effect. It's better to have 115 degrees with lets say 5% humidity than 90 degrees with 70% humidity. When the humidity is higher, sweat doesn't evaporate as much so it reduces the cooling effect on your body, which is why it feels much hotter than what it really is. This is known as the heat index.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:12 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,833,754 times
Some people think so. It depends on one's climate preference. But wet heat is definitely different than dry heat.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:14 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
There is no evaporation in a humid atmosphere thus sweating does not help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather