Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:50 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

$8000 for 30 people on a cliffside private botanical estate on Maui...with apps, dinner, cake, sodas, wine/beer, ukulele player, photographer, limo, and wedding planner. In 2008. It was awesome...the food was the best wedding food I ever had!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 07:57 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
60K, give or take a few grand.

And for the record, still costing him...I mean, still married.

WOWeeee

Old 12-12-2010, 12:54 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
My wedding cost oooooo I'd say 300 dollers at most, and half of that went to the minister..Me and my mom started cooking a couple of days ahead of time,everyone was welcome to come wearing what ever they were most comfortable in. My dress cost 35 dollers.., and my mom fancied up my hair.I was married in a small country home, not a lot of hoopla, but a good time had by family and friends.It's been 35 years and if I could do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.

Last edited by purehuman; 12-12-2010 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-12-2010, 01:13 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,801 times
First was about 10k and considering I sunk my 6k ring in his lip at the church during rehearsal???? Nuf said. My 2nd I bought a $200 dress and got married at grandmas house where she, the judge, my hubbys best friend and my 4 year old stood was the most special. Afterwords we had a cocktail party for family and friends and paid the first $500 for the bar. We then went home and spent the "honeymoon" in the best palce ever...."HOME".

It was good since my entire sewer line collapsed that morning and all the sewer washed up into tubs/showers/sinks!!! Too funny. But, I think that parents should offer their kids the money that they would spend and let the kids decide on either the wedding or a house down payment! I've seen customers offer the daughter 30k cash and she stupidly chose impressing people versus security for her family. Think about it....your wedding/marriage is between TWO people....fine have a little party...(bbq TX style or such) Noone cares and in the end???? Noone else matters

Old 12-12-2010, 05:46 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times
My first was a five figure wedding. My mother's dream wedding. She took out a second mortgage on their house to put it together. She planned every single thing, down to the flowers and date. I couldn't have cared less. Marriage lasted 2 weeks and 1 day.

Second wedding cost about $40. Some flowers and balloons. I wore a plain dress I'd had for ages. Parents bought a cake. Got married on a public beach. His parents brought a bottle of wine. I didn't want to get married but there were some extenuating circumstances, so I did the basics.

Third marriage was about $1000. The nicest by far. On the deck of a lighthouse on the Gulf Coast of Florida. Bought a nice dress from a well known wedding place, but got a bride's maid's dress. We'd both been married, so I wasn't wearing white. It seemed wrong.

We had basic food at the beach set up under a gazebo. Gorgeous cake topped with pearls and seashells. Honeymoon locally at a hotel with about a dozen of our friends. He and I were best friends for years before we started dating. Best relationship I ever had. Nicest wedding. And spending a weekend with our friends after was wonderful.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:01 PM

438 posts, read 946,976 times
I'm presently planning my wedding. The 'rents are willing to foot most of the bill, thank god, because fiance and I will be forking over loads of moolah to the government for immigration fees and lawyers. Ugh. Immigration paperwork + immigration lawyer is going to be at least 10k.
Got my dress yesterday, which is *perfect* and was on sale for half price, less than $400. Yay. It is loverly. Luckily I got relatives who are djs, caterers, and photographers so that ought to keep the cost reasonable.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:39 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
The price of a marriage license, Tompkinsville KY, 1992. As I recall, it was less than ten bucks. The judge had about 15 minutes before he was due in court, so he did the mumbo jumbo, no charge. We were passing through Kentucky, which (besides Nevada) was the only state that had no waiting periods nor pesky tests, so we did it all in less than an hour. We smelled like campfire smoke. A couple of courthouse office workers, Sheryl and Sheila, holding styrofoam coffee cups, were our witnesses. The county clerk was the judge's wife, or maybe sister, same last name. I'm pretty sure we were not asked for any photo ID---if we were, the info thereon is not on the license.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-12-2010 at 06:58 PM..

Old 05-06-2011, 04:13 PM

7 posts, read 10,427 times
Our budget was so much different then what actually panned out. When we eventually added up everything that we had spent it ended up being around 30-40K. While I loved our wedding, the pictures, and the memories, if we were doing it again....we would elope.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:28 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
My husband and I knew from the get-go we did not want to spend money on the wedding and also wanted only family and very few friends. My mom's friend prepared delicious foods, we had one musician, a flutist.....We married at my parent's home, outdoors....we were very relaxed and happy and had no stress at all. Guests too.

Expensive wedding with loads of stress and rule-following do not IMO enhance the experience. What matters is how you feel and how present you can be in your own event. I have heard some say they did not remember the wedding due to stress and nervousness. So do what makes you happy.....

ps We DID spend money on a great honeymoon!!

Old 05-06-2011, 04:36 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,686,583 times
$100 for a simple ceremony in our backyard with four guests. Then we went to Italy. Still happily married after seven years .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings