Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 10:57 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
watered down.

Someone has succeeded in having the marriage vow to "love, honour and obey" altered.

I re-heard the "vows" and it's not quite there.
When I was married I used the traditional vows. To me it is the ultimate promise that you give your mate.

To me, anything less is a slap in the face. Of course, many people do not feel this way. Many people feel that it's just "words". To me it is the most solemn of events and should remain that way.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 11:24 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,491 times
This is not a serious thread, is it? I mean, really, who in this day and age wants or expects the wife to "obey" her husband? (I am sure there are some husbands who might kinda like it, but seriously, would not expect this as part of the vows).

I would neither marry or want to be with a man who demanded that I obey him. Turn the tables, men who want this, would YOU ever say you would obey your wife?? betcha the answer is NO.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
This is not a serious thread, is it? I mean, really, who in this day and age wants or expects the wife to "obey" her husband? (I am sure there are some husbands who might kinda like it, but seriously, would not expect this as part of the vows).

I would neither marry or want to be with a man who demanded that I obey him. Turn the tables, men who want this, would YOU ever say you would obey your wife?? betcha the answer is NO.
Obeying is something that is freely given out of love - much like respect and honor. Nobody can "demand" these things.

My vows were "love, honor and obey". By vowing to do this I am demonstrating that I love him to the degree that I am willing to put him first in my heart. It's kinda what marriage is all about.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-30-2011, 11:48 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,305,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Obeying is something that is freely given out of love - much like respect and honor. Nobody can "demand" these things.

My vows were "love, honor and obey". By vowing to do this I am demonstrating that I love him to the degree that I am willing to put him first in my heart. It's kinda what marriage is all about.

20yrsinBranson
Just curious 20yrsinBranson,

Do you have a voice in your marriage? When a wife promises their obedience to their husband, in essence they are saying, "Whatever you say goes, regardless of what I want or feel."

Is that how it is in your marriage? Is your obedience unconditional?

Old 04-30-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
Just curious 20yrsinBranson,

Do you have a voice in your marriage? When a wife promises their obedience to their husband, in essence they are saying, "Whatever you say goes, regardless of what I want or feel."

Is that how it is in your marriage? Is your obedience unconditional?
Pretty much.

My husband always asks my opinion out of respect and deference, but usually I just tell him that "whatever he chooses is fine with me". Because it is. I am a very easy-going person and there isn't much in life that I get rankled up about. Our life consists of relatively few "big" decisions anyway.

In the past there are a few issues that I might have had him handle differently, but having a disagreement about it was not worth it, IMHO. I am all about keeping the harmony of the happy home and the last thing I want to do is cause a disruption. If something was a "life or death" situation, then I suppose I might be a tad more assertive, but until that happens we are both quite happy with the status quo.

As I mentioned, he does value my opinion and I do put in my two cents when it is appropriate. For instance a month or so ago, one of my kitties was not feeling well and I said to my dh "can we take the kitty in to the vet because I don't think she is well?". He listened to me and considered it and found my assessment valid and so she went in. But I did not have to stamp my little foot and shake my finger and say....."The cat IS going in TODAY", because my husband knows that when I DO say something, it is usually important and worth considering.

Again it is just all about mutual respect and love and appreciation. There is no conflict or "power plays", like I see in many marriages these days.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-30-2011, 12:52 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,491 times
20Yrs, glad it works for you. It would not work for me at this point in my life. Maybe years ago as a young bride it would have appealed to me, not now.

The example of the kitty sort of startled me. Why on earth would you need to ask permission to take the cat the vet? See, that is where you and I are different. I might have made a statement like "The cat is not feeling well, he needs to be seen by the vet, so I am taking him today". Where is the power play in that? Any reasonable spouse wouldn't even feel he needed a vote.

Again, if it works for you two, GREAT! It is simply not for many of us who are single but considering marriage later in life. I feel I have earned autonomy mixed with mutual respect for my partner.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:01 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
I have a marriage with no power plays and very little conflict as well. I however, am a working woman and I do not defer like a wilted flower to my husband. I am equal to my husband as he is equal to me. If I want something I do not ask his permission. I can't imagine living in a 1950s marriage. It would never work for me. I have had a lifelong belief in equality as the basis for a good marriage and that is what i have taught my daughters.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:07 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,305,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Pretty much.

My husband always asks my opinion out of respect and deference, but usually I just tell him that "whatever he chooses is fine with me". Because it is. I am a very easy-going person and there isn't much in life that I get rankled up about. Our life consists of relatively few "big" decisions anyway.

In the past there are a few issues that I might have had him handle differently, but having a disagreement about it was not worth it, IMHO. I am all about keeping the harmony of the happy home and the last thing I want to do is cause a disruption. If something was a "life or death" situation, then I suppose I might be a tad more assertive, but until that happens we are both quite happy with the status quo.

As I mentioned, he does value my opinion and I do put in my two cents when it is appropriate. For instance a month or so ago, one of my kitties was not feeling well and I said to my dh "can we take the kitty in to the vet because I don't think she is well?". He listened to me and considered it and found my assessment valid and so she went in. But I did not have to stamp my little foot and shake my finger and say....."The cat IS going in TODAY", because my husband knows that when I DO say something, it is usually important and worth considering.

Again it is just all about mutual respect and love and appreciation. There is no conflict or "power plays", like I see in many marriages these days.

20yrsinBranson
I don't doubt that you and your husband's marriage works very well for you both, maybe even better than most. It's great that in your marriage he asks your opinion and you willingly defer to him to make every decision. There's much to be said about picking and choosing your battles, but obey conveys that you do not battle at all, ever.

So what would you have done if he had said to you that he doesn't want you to take the cat to the vet? How long would you have stayed quiet if the cat would have become sicker?

Old 04-30-2011, 01:09 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I have a marriage with no power plays and very little conflict as well. I however, am a working woman and I do not defer like a wilted flower to my husband. I am equal to my husband as he is equal to me. If I want something I do not ask his permission. I can't imagine living in a 1950s marriage. It would never work for me. I have had a lifelong belief in equality as the basis for a good marriage and that is what i have taught my daughters.
I agree to this and I also when married was an equal partner as was he. My daughter I've raised to also be a equal partner to her husband.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:14 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
Maybe some of you missed it but she said she discussed it with her husband.
I don't believe she said she had no say so in the decision.
No one likes ultimatums.
Not pushing your husband is a way of honoring his position in the marriage, just as he honors you by consideration.

Sorry 20, can not rep you, seems I often agree with you in various post.

All we are doing with our husbands is giving without expectation of receiving, but interestingly enough it usually is reciprocal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings