Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 07:35 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,562 times

Advertisements

I have been with my fiance for 8 years. We will be getting married in the fall. We were perfectly happy the way we were, but we do want to start a family and feel it's time. I just don't understand why so many people had to judge us before, for not being married. Why do they care so much? Even a nosy coworker the other day felt the need to say "Oh I'm glad you're getting married, I thought you guys were going to break up." Some people have literally cut me off mid sentence when I'm saying "We are just happy the way we are," to say "Well you should be married, it's just a piece of paper." It's just so obnoxious to me. I guess some people are just old fashioned, and/or religious. I am neither. I shouldn't care, but unfortunately I let it get to me sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 09:11 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
She is not a fiancé unless there is a ring on the finger and you have set a date. If you ever referred to her as your fiancé in those 8 years you would just sound stupid. If you started referring to her as your fiancé after you set a date all is well.

Normal behavior is not old fashioned just because you disagree with it. At least your getting married before you have children. It's cruel when children are called bastards but it happens.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:27 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,120,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
It's cruel when children are called bastards but it happens.
Does this still actually happen? Well, I've never been called so I guess that's why it would seem odd to me.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:26 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
Most relationships either end in marriage, or break up. Look around and see how many have lived together as an unmarried couple for 20 or 50 or 60 years. Probably not many. Instead of feeling so threatened by other people, take a moment to think that maybe by wishing you marriage, they are saying they want you two to have a happy and lasting relationship instead of a breakup. Or, maybe they know that your gf has not been as content, but she's been hanging in there, putting up with the live-together arrangement when she was been wanting marriage, and you are the only obvious one who can't see that.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:32 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
I have been with my fiance for 8 years. We will be getting married in the fall. We were perfectly happy the way we were, but we do want to start a family and feel it's time. I just don't understand why so many people had to judge us before, for not being married. Why do they care so much? Even a nosy coworker the other day felt the need to say "Oh I'm glad you're getting married, I thought you guys were going to break up." Some people have literally cut me off mid sentence when I'm saying "We are just happy the way we are," to say "Well you should be married, it's just a piece of paper." It's just so obnoxious to me. I guess some people are just old fashioned, and/or religious. I am neither. I shouldn't care, but unfortunately I let it get to me sometimes.
It really shouldn't matter to you what others think, but people have a tendency to opine and judge the lives of others. However marriage isn't just a piece of paper, and it isn't old fashioned to get married versus just live together.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:37 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,120,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Most relationships either end in marriage, or break up. Look around and see how many have lived together as an unmarried couple for 20 or 50 or 60 years. Probably not many. Instead of feeling so threatened by other people, take a moment to think that maybe by wishing you marriage, they are saying they want you two to have a happy and lasting relationship instead of a breakup. Or, maybe they know that your gf has not been as content, but she's been hanging in there, putting up with the live-together arrangement when she was been wanting marriage, and you are the only obvious one who can't see that.
The OP is a woman by the way. So, I'm assuming she's talking about her bf.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:48 AM

770 posts, read 1,177,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
She is not a fiancé unless there is a ring on the finger and you have set a date. If you ever referred to her as your fiancé in those 8 years you would just sound stupid. If you started referring to her as your fiancé after you set a date all is well.

Normal behavior is not old fashioned just because you disagree with it. At least your getting married before you have children. It's cruel when children are called bastards but it happens.
Being obnoxious and sticking your nose in other people's business is normal behavior for you? You must be a joy to be around.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:06 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
Being obnoxious and sticking your nose in other people's business is normal behavior for you? You must be a joy to be around.

Normal behavior is not defined by any one person. It is also not made up as you go. Society has norms. By the way I am a joy to be around, but people outside the norms will never have to chance to be around me.

Other peoples business is usually no one else's business. If it is behavior that contributes to the breakdown of society, such as illegitimacy , it is the business of all. When you remove the stigma on wrong behavior it becomes common place.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:25 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
I know a lot of people who just like that. Perfectly nice people who are joys to be around....

Humans on the whole are pretty judgmental.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:58 AM

332 posts, read 435,965 times
Because they want you to be as miserable and trapped as they are. They envy your freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings