Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 07:56 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,738,013 times

Advertisements

I was also wondering - has anyone here bought a used wedding dress before?

I am going to view one where I could buy the gown and the slip for about $240 where the cheapest I have ever seen it has been $550 for the dress, $60 for the slip.... right now, it's $600 for the dress.

The one thing I'm nervous about is I would have to take it to have it professionally cleaned myself, probably! I'm trying to justify to myself if the $400 savings is worth it.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 08:33 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
IDK... there is used and there is USED.

Is there some guarantee that there are zero permanent stains and zero rip/tears/split seams?

Old 11-17-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
IDK... there is used and there is USED.

Is there some guarantee that there are zero permanent stains and zero rip/tears/split seams?
I am not sure regarding permanent stains, but I would also be able to go to the lady's home and view it at least? I just wouldn't know how to tell if something would be permanent. My guess is that it might be dirty from dragging on the ground, though I haven't had the chance to go see it yet. I just figure no dress makes it out completely unscathed?! LOL!

Old 11-17-2014, 12:15 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
I've found a few dresses still in the dry cleaner presentation boxes. They were all fine looking... but yowza -- scratchy, from the cheap poly lace...

I sent them to my sister for her daughter's dress up box... My sister ended up doing some surgery on them..... t get rid of the scratchy parts.

Used is fine -- it's not like wedding dresses get hard long wear....

Old 11-17-2014, 02:22 PM

Yes, I was also thinking I might be short enough where a lot of the bottoms might be altered off anyway! LOL!

I will definitely inspect for stains that might be too noticeable or may not come off with a dry cleaning.

Anyone know of anything else I should look for?

I am thinking - I buy a lot of my clothes thrift. And my mind just doesn't want to rectify paying $500-$600 for something I will only wear once for a few hours where it also doesn't seem like there is much of a re-sale value out there for wedding dresses, either. Heck, I've never paid more than 1K for a car! I am just very frugal about things!

Old 11-17-2014, 07:21 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,156,000 times
There's a consignment bridal shop in my area with formal policies for acceptance. You could check to see if there is something like that near you, rather than purchasing from an individual.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
There's a consignment bridal shop in my area with formal policies for acceptance. You could check to see if there is something like that near you, rather than purchasing from an individual.
Yeah, most of the consignment bridal shops in my area are for higher end things that cost more used than what I want is new LOL! I am just too cheap!!! LOL! ;-) I guess I'd rather put more money towards something else?

This is $240 used where I can at least go and try it on:
http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_...dal-collection

This is $150 new with tags for sale from someone's broken engagement where I can at least go and try it on, too:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_...edding-dresses

Old 11-21-2014, 07:50 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,465,484 times
I think you're working a good idea. Shop around and reserve a hundred bucks or so for alterations, if you buy something that's been gently used.

I would have worn my SIL's dress had I gone for a traditional wedding. Instead I wore jeans and hiking boots, which is much more our style.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:06 AM

11,800 posts, read 12,043,246 times
What's your budget for a dress? I planned that out and then shopped with it in mind.

I got a great (and brand new) dress from David's Bridal for $300, on sale from $550. For the hassle of trying to find gently used dresses and then the expense of alterations on top of that, it was easier for me just to go the route I took.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
What's your budget for a dress? I planned that out and then shopped with it in mind.

I got a great (and brand new) dress from David's Bridal for $300, on sale from $550. For the hassle of trying to find gently used dresses and then the expense of alterations on top of that, it was easier for me just to go the route I took.
The thing is - I could afford the dresses new, but I think, "Hmmm... If I can talk that lady down to $100, that's $300-$400 that can go into booze money!" Or then I think, "Hmmm, I'd rather buy an old Volvo for that...."

I haven't seen any good sales on anything in my size. At least nothing I felt thrilled about!

I feel like I will need to alter anything I would get new as well (I have a large chest, relatively narrow waist, and wide hips. For most formal dresses, I have had to purchase it to fit my chest and then have it taken in at the waist) so I wasn't thinking of that as an extra expense.

I do wonder if they have any good Black Friday sales, but so far the sales on things I've liked haven't really been anything to brag about. I could always purchase a sample from them online, but I'm not sure if I'd do that or not since you can't see it beforehand and a lot of the samples at my store in my size have makeup stains, missing beading, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings