Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 07:32 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmom87 View Post
I don't think second marriages should have a shower, and I also agree that a donation to a charity is a great idea.

I keep seeing elaborate 2nd marriages, where there are one-three showers and the wedding, but yet most of the time they combined two households.

Only my opinion.
Well we'll both be 40+ by the time it happens and we already have tons of crap. We don't need more crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 03:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmom87 View Post
I don't think second marriages should have a shower, and I also agree that a donation to a charity is a great idea.

I keep seeing elaborate 2nd marriages, where there are one-three showers and the wedding, but yet most of the time they combined two households.

Only my opinion.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:35 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
Yeah I know it's two events...but the purpose of a bridal shower gift is to give the couple something they'll use when they're married, no? And the wedding gift serves the same puropse, correct? So what I should've said was I don't understand the point of giving two gifts for the same purpose. It just makes sense to me that if you give a gift for the bridal shower you'd be exempt from giving one for the wedding...but whatever, tradition is tradition. It's still kind of annoying though.
So don't go to the shower. Very simple solution. I don't go to baby or bridal showers anymore, and haven't for years. If I want to give a gift, I give one separately.

Don't make a mountain out of a molehill.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:15 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
Yeah I know it's two events...but the purpose of a bridal shower gift is to give the couple something they'll use when they're married, no? And the wedding gift serves the same puropse, correct? So what I should've said was I don't understand the point of giving two gifts for the same purpose. It just makes sense to me that if you give a gift for the bridal shower you'd be exempt from giving one for the wedding...but whatever, tradition is tradition. It's still kind of annoying though.
Yes, bridal showers are a tradition, but a tradition that has largely outlived it's usefulness. Gone are the days (thankfully) when a young woman lived at home until she got married, thus needing to stock her first kitchen and home with essentials. My mom still talks about "showering" brides-to-be with little gifts like a tea towel or set of measuring cups. Can you imagine showing up at a shower these days with nothing but a wrapped up set of measuring cups? You'd be a laughing stock. Now brides register for Wii's and and excursions for their honeymoon, because their homes are already completely set up.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:31 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
I think for the bridal shower something more personal for her. The wedding something for them...or some cash in a card.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:34 AM

3 posts, read 2,656 times
For bridal showers I have been giving a Dreamlines wedding dress sketch. If we do more than her wedding dress then I try to get a few others in on it, so we can choose the larger size as well. I have a sketch and love it. I give this whenever I can, as you really can't get more personalized and I love giving the best gift! :-)

Old 08-18-2015, 08:13 PM

809 posts, read 1,331,286 times
My daughter has been married for less than a year. She rec'd 17 wedding frames. (everyone except 1 person added the frame in addition to another gift). Also, all of the frames are wedding themed. There is no way she can use all those frames. She is sort of embarrassed because there is no way she can use all those frames. If people come to her home, they know she isn't using the frames.
As someone suggested in an earlier post- frames are not a good idea- just like candles.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:32 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
My daughter has been married for less than a year. She rec'd 17 wedding frames. (everyone except 1 person added the frame in addition to another gift). Also, all of the frames are wedding themed. There is no way she can use all those frames. She is sort of embarrassed because there is no way she can use all those frames. If people come to her home, they know she isn't using the frames.
As someone suggested in an earlier post- frames are not a good idea- just like candles.
I am assuming that most of the frames are "generic" wedding frames, basically frames with hearts or bells or just nice silver frames. I have seen young couples use frames like that to post other pictures, such as family pictures, pictures from their honeymoon, pictures of their new baby (in the future), pictures from their 1st anniversary, etc.

Of course, 17 frames are a lot of frames, but unless they all are engraved "Mary & John, Married 9-02-14" or say "Our Wedding" I am sure that they will be able to use many, if not all, of them eventually. Wouldn't a cute picture of their two children, age 4 and 6, look wonderful in a silver frame with interlocking hearts (of course, a few years in the future) ?

Perhaps, it has something to do with their circle of friends/relatives, but, I don't believe that my son & his wife received even one picture frame as a wedding gift when they were married four years ago.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:24 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
I received about 3 wedding frames. The rest were non-specific. Based on my own gifts, I'd say dish towels and place mats are not good gifts. I received about 2 dozen place mats and so many dish towels, I'm still using them 15+ years later. I guess everyone has a different story.

ETA, a few years later, I used one of the wedding frames for my sister's wedding photo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings