Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 05:11 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Is there a long break between the wedding and the reception? Any of those dresses would be fine for a church wedding, it's the reception that will be formal. If there are a couple of hours in between, many women will probably change into dressier clothing before the reception.
Maybe I run in the wrong circles, but I've never heard of nor seen anyone changing outfits between the ceremony and the reception. At least to be more formal. If people change at all it's to be more comfortable eating and dancing.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 04-22-2018 at 05:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 05:23 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Is there a long break between the wedding and the reception? Any of those dresses would be fine for a church wedding, it's the reception that will be formal. If there are a couple of hours in between, many women will probably change into dressier clothing before the reception.

This is how you can differentiate between the black tie, formal, and semi formal invitations:
https://www.brides.com/story/wedding...code-explained

Do not, please don't, resort to casual shoes for a formal affair, it will ruin the entire look. I have never attended a wedding where seating was a problem, and I've been to many. Wear your best jewelry. Again, I have never heard of anyone losing their good jewelry at a wedding.
Strange, but all the weddings I’ve attended were formal for the ceremony and relaxed at the reception. The reception is the time to relax and kick off the shoes for some fun. Problem is some people drink far too much alcohol and ruin the fun for everyone else.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:26 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Maybe I run in the wrong circles, but I've never heard of nor seen anyone changing outfits between the ceremony and the reception.
I’ve seen some who do depending on if they rented the outfit for the wedding or if the reception is held at an outdoor venue. If young kids are brought the parents will sometimes change their outfit before the reception, especially if they were part of the wedding party and their official photos have already been taken.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:43 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Strange, but all the weddings I’ve attended were formal for the ceremony and relaxed at the reception. The reception is the time to relax and kick off the shoes for some fun. Problem is some people drink far too much alcohol and ruin the fun for everyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I’ve seen some who do depending on if they rented the outfit for the wedding or if the reception is held at an outdoor venue. If young kids are brought the parents will sometimes change their outfit before the reception, especially if they were part of the wedding party and their official photos have already been taken.
Are you talking about the bridal party or the guests?

I have never heard of guests wearing formal wear to the ceremony and then changing to casual clothing for the reception. I have seen brides and - very rarely - bridesmaids change out of their ceremony outfits for the reception but in those cases, all the guests were casually dressed for the ceremony in the same thing they wore to the reception.

I'm especially struck by your comment that "all" the weddings you've attended were this way. Honestly, that seems quite odd to me, and I've been to at least two or three dozen weddings as a guest and been a bridesmaid in another 10 or so.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:17 PM

560 posts, read 453,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
OP, I'm not sure how old you are, but in case this isn't too far in the past for you, if this is really a formal wedding, try thinking of something that you'd wear to a formal prom as the concept, not just a pretty dress. Long, with an interesting neckline, maybe a bit of bling.

Something like this would work

https://www.lulus.com/products/glamo...html?rrec=true
It’s not too far in the past but I never went to prom or homecoming. I worked all those events at my hostess jobs I had in high school. Thanks for the link, but all the formal dresses are way over my budget that I’ve seen so far . I am moving into a new apartment and my dog is having an expensive dental surgery. I just had a major surgery...I’m getting too stressed about a dress, so I’m not sure I can get a dress that will be “formal” enough to wear.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:

This is how you can differentiate between the black tie, formal, and semi formal invitations:
https://www.brides.com/story/wedding...code-explained

Do not, please don't, resort to casual shoes for a formal affair, it will ruin the entire look. I have never attended a wedding where seating was a problem, and I've been to many. Wear your best jewelry. Again, I have never heard of anyone losing their good jewelry at a wedding.
I don’t have the invite out right now because I am moving, but the wedding is around 2 and I believe the reception is around 7. I was planning on wearing black heels that I’ve only worn a few times to go with the dress, but now I’m not sure that dress will even work and I don’t have a lot of money to keep looking for new ones as that was at the top of my budget because I want to be able to get a nice gift still.

Thanks for the link

Old 04-23-2018, 07:47 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
I don’t have the invite out right now because I am moving, but the wedding is around 2 and I believe the reception is around 7. I was planning on wearing black heels that I’ve only worn a few times to go with the dress, but now I’m not sure that dress will even work and I don’t have a lot of money to keep looking for new ones as that was at the top of my budget because I want to be able to get a nice gift still.

Thanks for the link
Check out consignment stores or a thrift shop. Most of the dresses you'll find will have been worn only once, and priced at a fraction of their original cost.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:09 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Check out consignment stores or a thrift shop. Most of the dresses you'll find will have been worn only once, and priced at a fraction of their original cost.
Yes, I was going to make the same suggestion. You could also try David's Bridal if you have one near you - they have prom dresses and bridesmaid dresses and sometimes they have some stuff on really cheap clearance.

Or even try asking around to see if you can borrow something, if you have any friends who wear the same size as you.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:50 AM

Hi everyone!

So I asked about my dress and was told it was fine to wear and that it was pretty. So I’m going to stick with it.

Thanks for all the help

Old 04-24-2018, 08:00 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
Hi everyone!

So I asked about my dress and was told it was fine to wear and that it was pretty. So I’m going to stick with it.

Thanks for all the help
Woohoo! Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings