Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be happy with a re-gifted engagement ring?
Sure, why not, it's just a piece of jewelry 2 7.14%
Oh, HECK NO! 19 67.86%
No, he should sell it and buy me a ring with whatever he gets 1 3.57%
No, he should sell it and put the money towards an equal or better ring. 6 21.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:05 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times

Advertisements

I am not the marrying type, but I do believe in the process of engagement. I think there should be a certain feeling of excitement that comes along with it. And part of that excitement is picking out an engagement ring just for her. It's a sentimental thing - knowing that he saw it and thought about you, that it was perfect for you, that he was thinking about only you when he picked it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 11:08 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,366 times
OMG! Please tell me that men don't really do this?! People cannot be this stupid!

Old 08-20-2009, 04:34 AM

1,741 posts, read 4,576,070 times
Too bad there isn't a vote for Oh HELL no!

Old 08-20-2009, 05:22 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Absolutely not. The ring was bought for her. Giving it to me makes me an afterthought.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:38 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
yeah, but how about the mattress???

For some reason I couldn't deal with sleeping on the same mattress my spouse slept on with his former spouse or fiancee'. That just grosses me out
Yep! Creepy it is. When I got my divorce, a new mattress was one of the very first new things I bought!

Old 08-21-2009, 07:55 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
Yep! Creepy it is. When I got my divorce, a new mattress was one of the very first new things I bought!
same here, I also got a new bed. During the divorce settlement, I did NOT want the bed, and the ex-husband did, so he got to keep it. He kept it through a few girlfriends until he re-married, and the new wife insisted on a new bed. She said she didn't sleep well on the mattress but my guess is she didn't want the bed from the first marriage.

Get this, the ex-husband still did NOT want to get rid of it, he really liked it, plus he didn't want the new wife telling him what to do in his own house and it became a battle of wills. So he gave it to one of our sons, who was quite happy with it because it had been his mom's, and it stayed in the son's bedroom at his dad's house.

Well then I guess the argument re-surfaced when the son moved out of dad's house and went to college. The second wife INSISTED that the bed go (reminder not only of the ex-wife, but of her NOT GETTING HER WAY in making hubby bend to her will to get rid of that bed). Which by the way was not only a wedding present from the first marriage, but a wedding present from the first wife's parents (my parents). So the story ends with hubby still refusing to get rid of the bed, but he did chop it up into firewood. Now for all I know the firewood is still sitting there stacked on the property, because they both HAD to get their way.

I am sooooooooooooo glad i got out of that marriage!

Old 08-21-2009, 08:05 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
yeah, but how about the mattress???

For some reason I couldn't deal with sleeping on the same mattress my spouse slept on with his former spouse or fiancee'. That just grosses me out
And the bed frame the mattress was laid on.
And the room the bed stood in.
And the house that the bedroom was in.
And the pots in the kitchen the previous girlfriend cooked in.
And the floor she stepped on...

I voted for NO ring, but now I don't know where to stop?

Last edited by nuala; 08-21-2009 at 08:13 AM..

Old 08-21-2009, 10:42 AM

985 posts, read 2,601,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
And the bed frame the mattress was laid on.
And the room the bed stood in.
And the house that the bedroom was in.
And the pots in the kitchen the previous girlfriend cooked in.
And the floor she stepped on...

I voted for NO ring, but now I don't know where to stop?

And the lips she kissed.... and the **** she ******, and the.....well, I could go further with that but I won't Just face it gals, he's used goods by the time you get to him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings