Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 10:09 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,930,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochmoigh View Post
is it worth moving into Florida right now, or with the economy is it fighting a uphill battle?
Of course the economy is still fighting an uphill battle. Whether it's worth it or not depends on what field you work in, how much money you have in the bank, and if you can find a high-paying job in your field...

Where are you moving from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 12:02 PM

132 posts, read 371,784 times
TN, currently work in the IT field, I do have sales expierence as well as management exp. have to sell my home here in TN as well

Old 11-17-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochmoigh View Post
TN, currently work in the IT field, I do have sales expierence as well as management exp. have to sell my home here in TN as well
Probably a good move, since a mass exodus of malcontents from this part of Florida are coming to bring our problems to you...

I'm not even sure that it is dramatically more expensive here anymore due to influx of said malcontents, although property taxes and (obviously) homeowners insurance are much higher. That being said, I would NOT buy a home here unless I wanted to lose a lot of money for no reason. Make sure you have around 800 a month or so to rent a decent 1 bedroom in an area you would want to live in. If you are daring, a 2,000 square foot home in a good area is running in the mid to high 200s right now, but I think will fall a LOT more.

Unless you happen to live near Nashville, probably a better job market too, although still not great. Latin American IT in Dade County is booming, although the centers of the IT industry in South Florida are around Boca Raton and Fort Lauderdale. Some people will say your crazy for wanting to go from TN to FL, but if you are open minded and can score a decent job, I don't really see the supposed objective "quality of life" factors being much different and there still being tradeoffs, I.E trade cleaner air here for less traffic there (which is ironic), crime is about the same although nobody wants to admit it, schools are probably better here although nobody wants to admit it, "rude people" is subjective. Different? Yes, much different in every way, and not for everyone by any means. It all depends on what you want.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 11-17-2008 at 10:53 PM..

Old 11-18-2008, 06:59 AM

132 posts, read 371,784 times
Thanks for the input.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:47 PM

727 posts, read 1,838,938 times
"Probably a good move, since a mass exodus of malcontents from this part of Florida are coming to bring our problems to you..."

TN aint never seen the malcontents like we have here. They could move up there for yrs and it still wouldnt compare. Ask around in the TN forum about that move, and see what kind of answers you get, especially those from FL originally.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post

TN aint never seen the malcontents like we have here.
Of course they haven't, because they aren't all there yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
Ask around in the TN forum about that move, and see what kind of answers you get, especially those from FL originally.
Give most (not all) of them about five years...

Old 11-21-2008, 04:20 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,768,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Probably a good move, since a mass exodus of malcontents from this part of Florida are coming to bring our problems to you...

I'm not even sure that it is dramatically more expensive here anymore due to influx of said malcontents, although property taxes and (obviously) homeowners insurance are much higher. That being said, I would NOT buy a home here unless I wanted to lose a lot of money for no reason. Make sure you have around 800 a month or so to rent a decent 1 bedroom in an area you would want to live in. If you are daring, a 2,000 square foot home in a good area is running in the mid to high 200s right now, but I think will fall a LOT more.

Unless you happen to live near Nashville, probably a better job market too, although still not great. Latin American IT in Dade County is booming, although the centers of the IT industry in South Florida are around Boca Raton and Fort Lauderdale. Some people will say your crazy for wanting to go from TN to FL, but if you are open minded and can score a decent job, I don't really see the supposed objective "quality of life" factors being much different and there still being tradeoffs, I.E trade cleaner air here for less traffic there (which is ironic), crime is about the same although nobody wants to admit it, schools are probably better here although nobody wants to admit it, "rude people" is subjective. Different? Yes, much different in every way, and not for everyone by any means. It all depends on what you want.
Good synopsis of the situation.

Latin American IT jobs are centered around Boca and Ft. Lauderdale? I have seen a lot of Latin sounding technology related businesses in Coral Gables and along the Coral Way commercial corridor (think banyan trees). I don't know exactly what they do, although I know they are technology related and probably staff only Latin Americans as the names of some of these businesses are very hard to pronounce.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:53 PM

727 posts, read 1,838,938 times
"although I know they are technology related and probably staff only Latin Americans as the names of some of these businesses are very hard to pronounce."

Probably only staff Latin Americans? Geez. Wouldnt some folks have a problem with that? You gotta be Latin and/or know spanish to work there?

Old 11-21-2008, 05:59 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,768,652 times
Let's just say you won't find many "office space" characters at some of these companies in Miami.

Are there any tech jobs in Lake Worth? I wouldn't think the vast majority of people in Lake Worth would have a chance at tech/IT jobs, people who marinate themselves in urban/hip hop culture usually have a hard time getting hired.

Last edited by big mean bear; 11-21-2008 at 07:00 PM..

Old 11-22-2008, 05:55 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,153,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Unless you think you might move to Florida and decide to move somewhere else very quickly, I don't agree with that advice. You can get homes with bigger square footage cheaper than that (I've got one under contract at the moment . . . just keeping my fingers crossed that it goes through), but I look at it this way. If I rent instead, say at $800 per month, then in one year I have a guarantee that I just lost $9,600, two years, I just lost $19,200, and in five years, I've lost $48,000--there's no doubt about that, it's a guaranteed loss. If I buy a house for 150k, while there's a possibility that I would only be able to get 102k for it in five years (and yes, possibly even less), there's no guarantee that I'll lose that much on it--there's a good chance that I'll make a bit over what I owe when I sell it. And at 150k, your payments (including property tax, etc.) are not going to be that much more per month than you'd be paying in rent anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach