Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 02:32 PM

277 posts, read 373,519 times

Advertisements

Well, unfortunately, I have found myself obligated to visit Martinsburg again and I am not thrilled about it, but I want to make the best out of the situation and always look to the positive. I have been to this town several times since I blew out of there. My brother is getting married and I only plan to stick around only for the wedding and that is it.

Don't get me wrong, Martinsburg is a cute little town and the people are generally friendly, but I did live there for over 20 years and I am glad I live in Florida, but this is not meant to bash the town. I had friends there, but I have lost touch with them and I was hoping that someone can tell me if there are any gay clubs or pubs there. I am sure that the town has changed since 1999. I do not want to travel to Washington DC or Baltimore, MD, but I will be happy if there is a cool place to go to while I am up there. Anything in Martinsburg, Winchester, or Hagerstown (Yes, I know about Deer Park in Boonsboro, but I will pass on this)? Anyway, I thought I would ask. I know Martinsburg used to have a place on Winchester Blvd., but that place has long since closed. If anyone drops down to Tampa/St. Petersburg, I can tell you some of the hopping places to go to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 06:50 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
No, Martinsburg has not changed only in the aspect of adding hundreds of homes on what used to be beautiful orchards.
Nothing but a hotel area for DC workers now.

As far as commercial, it has went in the opposite direction. The "Martinsburg Shift" is still alive and well. You know, business on the North Side for 5 years, then moves, to the South side for 5 years, then back to the Central end.
Yeah, the Mall area is still intact, however, the Berkeley Plaza is just a wasteland, and downtown reminds you more each day of something out of The Hills have Eyes movie.

Don't feel like you are bashing, I just call it as I see it.

As with any Martinsburg post I post to attempt to say that this historical, once pride filled town, has the opportunity to be the jewel of the Mid Atlantic by history alone, however, the DC crowd along with the local good ole boys on could care less about this.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
No, Martinsburg has not changed only in the aspect of adding hundreds of homes on what used to be beautiful orchards.
Nothing but a hotel area for DC workers now.

As far as commercial, it has went in the opposite direction. The "Martinsburg Shift" is still alive and well. You know, business on the North Side for 5 years, then moves, to the South side for 5 years, then back to the Central end.
Yeah, the Mall area is still intact, however, the Berkeley Plaza is just a wasteland, and downtown reminds you more each day of something out of The Hills have Eyes movie.

Don't feel like you are bashing, I just call it as I see it.

As with any Martinsburg post I post to attempt to say that this historical, once pride filled town, has the opportunity to be the jewel of the Mid Atlantic by history alone, however, the DC crowd along with the local good ole boys on could care less about this.
Georgia, my aunt and mother still run their business in the northside of town. She actually renovated and moved into a new office building, so I suppose business is going well around Edwin Miller Blvd/Queen St/Williamsport Pike. My aunt's business has always been situated on the North end of town and at one time, for a couple years, she was in Downtown. I like the historical aspects of Downtown. All the old buildings from the late 19th century and early 20th century is still intact. Big business could have came in and took it over, but the city leadership was smart about keeping the historic aspects of Martinsburg. Martinsburg was one of the few towns that changed hands between the North and the South during the American Civil War.

The only problem is the diversity issues there. I was not a happy person when I lived there, but then again, I lived there for much of my childhood, attended Musselman (just south of Martinsburg), and after graduating, living in Hagerstown and moving back, I decided I needed a change. Martinsburg's downtown could grow to attract more minorities. Crime levels have remained the same. It is just a shame that people do not realize how much cheaper it is to live there. Where I lived on King St., I could walk to the train station and be in Washington in less than an hour. Cost of living is kept low and I think most people would be surprised how diverse it could be if they gave it a chance. It could be like Wheeling, Huntington, Parkersburg, or even Beckeley. Those towns have come a far way with diversity and open mindedness and that is where Martinsburg is seriously lacking. I just thought it was ridiculous, when I lived in Martinsburg, that I had to get in a car, drive to Hagerstown, Maryland or Winchester, Virginia because the night spots were better and more accepting of me. Does West Virginia or the city of Martinsburg realize that I was taking my money to another state? It does not help fuel the economy.

Martinsburg Mall is a bust, sadly. When I was living there, we had so many hopes, but the mall is not the best. The Valley Mall in Hagerstown, The Francis Scott Key Mall (which was my personal favorite) in Frederick, Maryland, and the Apple Blossom Mall in Winchester, still gains most of the business from Martinsburg. That is sad too. People do not realize that they are paying sales taxes to Maryland and/or Virginia.

The sales taxes are also cheaper.

West Virginia needs to consider something that we do here in Florida. We have a sales tax holiday for a full week. Maybe West Virginia has this, but during the Back to School rush, in August, sales taxes are suspended for one week. Big ticket items like laptops, school clothing, school supplies, software programs, and any other electronic learning items are not taxed.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:26 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times
Quote:

West Virginia needs to consider something that we do here in Florida. We have a sales tax holiday for a full week. Maybe West Virginia has this, but during the Back to School rush, in August, sales taxes are suspended for one week. Big ticket items like laptops, school clothing, school supplies, software programs, and any other electronic learning items are not taxed.

WV does have this, or at least they did when I was in school. I graduated in 2005 though, this could have changed... But when I went through that policy was in effect. However, I always bought my stuff the week before anyway because I couldn't deal with the lines and crowds of people! I went ahead and paid a few extra dollars in taxes in exchange for the peace of mind from smaller lines, people being a**holes, etc.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
WV does have this, or at least they did when I was in school. I graduated in 2005 though, this could have changed... But when I went through that policy was in effect. However, I always bought my stuff the week before anyway because I couldn't deal with the lines and crowds of people! I went ahead and paid a few extra dollars in taxes in exchange for the peace of mind from smaller lines, people being a**holes, etc.

West Virginia has changed immensely since I was in school then. Then again, I sound like an old timer, even though I graduated in 1996. LOL

Old 07-31-2007, 02:37 AM

ha ha yea, it goes fast. In 1996 I was in 3rd grade ha ha. I'm a Junior @ Marshall U now. ha ha

Old 07-31-2007, 04:24 AM

Quote:
ha ha yea, it goes fast. In 1996 I was in 3rd grade ha ha. I'm a Junior @ Marshall U now. ha ha
Now I am trying to pay off all those student loans. If you think college is fun, wait til you spend the better parts of your 20s and early 30s paying off those loans. In 2 more years I should be paid up for school. I graduated from Sheperd in 99. It stinks that I am still paying on the student loans though and I went to a cheap school. ;O)

Old 07-31-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireballFL View Post
Now I am trying to pay off all those student loans. If you think college is fun, wait til you spend the better parts of your 20s and early 30s paying off those loans. In 2 more years I should be paid up for school. I graduated from Sheperd in 99. It stinks that I am still paying on the student loans though and I went to a cheap school. ;O)
Luckily I have no debt from school. My parents cover it all, tuiton, books, fees, and my rent, and everything. THANK GOD... props to ma and pops right? I would be screwed otherwise.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:34 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Fire you must be hardup that you can not attend a wedding without welll.
I know that 15 years ago that 2 gay guys owned a bar on Rt 11, but weather it was gay bar or not I do not know as I have never been in any bars! & no I do not know if the guys still own it.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Luckily I have no debt from school. My parents cover it all, tuiton, books, fees, and my rent, and everything. THANK GOD... props to ma and pops right? I would be screwed otherwise.
Nah, you would have found a way though. The federal government and the state of West Virginia helped me with college loans. So there are some things that are good in West Virginia. The state sees the vital need of having people, from within the state, of furthering their education.

My loans are through The United States Department of Education and I did not have to start making payments until I graduated and found a career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia