Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 07:33 PM

7 posts, read 30,469 times

Advertisements

How many people have been harrassed or discriminated against by the law enforcement officals in Hampshire County, West Virginia? I for one am sick of being discriminated against just because I happen to be a "gypsy". I have been told by one cop and I quote "you should go back to where you came from". That was when I first moved here and they have tried their hardest to push me out, but I refuse to be harrassed by these backwoods hicks they call cops. I just recently found out that the West Virginia state police have a CB code for the "gypsies". Don't believe me? Here's the web site..go check it out for yourselves. RADIO CODES & SIGNALS - WEST VIRGINIA Now I ask you...is that discrimination or what? I don't see one for African Americans...or Jews...or Mexicans..it flat out infuriates me. What can I do about all of this? Someone help me!!

Old 07-18-2007, 08:06 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
I can not prove this but after I was harrased by the Hamshire Co cops [1992] the cop killed 2 of my collies. He actually beat my male to death with his club.
Thats redneck country move as soon as you can!

Old 07-18-2007, 10:44 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,661 times
I'm sorry, but NO ONE would beat my dog. I don't care if it is a cop. He would have to shoot me because I'd be all over that!!! Why do people treat animals like objects instead of living, breathing, loving, creatures!??!?!?!

Old 07-18-2007, 11:08 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,331 times
So sorry to read about the harassment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
I'm sorry, but NO ONE would beat my dog. I don't care if it is a cop. He would have to shoot me because I'd be all over that!!! Why do people treat animals like objects instead of living, breathing, loving, creatures!??!?!?!

I was just cruising through the different forums and happened upon this thread...I agree with you...if anyone were to harm, injure or kill my dogs, my adrenaline, would be all over that!

Old 07-19-2007, 05:48 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
I was not home at the time but 3 different neighbors told me the same story, but would not go to court. I also had a lawyer said that by law dogs are only property my 10 year old baby was not worth much if anything.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:32 AM

7,012 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Interesting enough, I have heard from people that their are quite a few gypsies in Hampshire County. I don't know if by "gypsy" they mean a Roma person or what, but that is what they say. Do you know if there is any truth to that?

Old 07-19-2007, 08:14 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Gypsies are small nomadic communities that set up temporary residence on
properties without the consent of the owner. Squatters are more individualistic. You're likely to find that gypsies engage in other activities that squatters do not, such as maintaining a family with children, engaging in some unsanctioned business activities, keeping livestock or farm animals, and so on.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:44 AM

7 posts, read 30,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Gypsies are small nomadic communities that set up temporary residence on
properties without the consent of the owner. Squatters are more individualistic. You're likely to find that gypsies engage in other activities that squatters do not, such as maintaining a family with children, engaging in some unsanctioned business activities, keeping livestock or farm animals, and so on.
Is seven years in the same place temporary? I've lived in the same place with my girlfriend and two children for over 7 years. I say the word "gypsy" cause that's what the law calls us. I'm a Roma. My family has lived in Hampshire County for years...people are to quick to judge anymore...I also don't "engage in unsanctioned business activities"....this is what I was talking about...how people put tags on us..just because some of us are bad...everyone assumes the rest of us are just the same.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:52 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,881 times
I grew up in a a small town right out side of Philly and
police beatdowns and harrasement were a way of life.
I was brutally beaten by five of them for ........reporting
that I found the person who had been stealing and cashing
checks of mine..........Yes, thats right...twice victimized.
What the thief did hurt a lot less than the cops though...
Later, in my 40's, we lived in a small town in Lancaster
Co. We questioned / protested the development that was
crushing that area. The supervisors saw to it that police
cars followed us and pulled our kids over and questioned
and intimidated them regularly. To sum this up.....the more
you complain, the worse it will get. You cannot beat them.
They always win, they will 'beat' you one way or another.
The best suggestion I could give is what we did.....Move.
Backwoods territories are often like this, though. If you
werent born there or are 'different' in any way, the locals
will let you know. I would try to go to a larger metropolitan
area where people are a little more diverse in their thinking.

Good luck, I hope things work out for you.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:25 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
"Gypsies are small nomadic communities that set up temporary residence on
properties without the consent of the owner"

You mean tresspassers. Get a job and pay rent like everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
View detailed profiles of: