Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 05:12 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times

Advertisements

At the request of Sen. Joe Manchin, the National Park Service is undertaking a preliminary study of the possibility of creating a 700,000 acre "High Allegheny National Park and Preserve".

The area under study stretches from the Blackwater Falls / Canaan Valley area in the north, east to Franklin, south to Green Bank, and west to Elkins and Cathedral State Park. Much of the region is already part of, or adjacent to, the Monongahela National Forest, the George Washington National Forest, or various state parks and forest lands.

Full story in the Pocahontas Times (http://www.pocahontastimes.com/news/story/nps-study-includes-pocahontas-county/206174 - broken link)

Friends of High Allegheny National Park and Preserve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 05:31 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,104,352 times
It would be great and could do alot for the state, but I feel its just an attempt by Joe to bring pork into the state. Not complaining, but just pointing out the obvious.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:30 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,632 times
Shepherdstown could also become part of the National Park system.

Public comment sought on Shepherdstown’s inclusion in national parks - A House Divided - The Washington Post

Old 02-16-2012, 06:58 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
It would be great and could do alot for the state, but I feel its just an attempt by Joe to bring pork into the state. Not complaining, but just pointing out the obvious.
Well the state government is hoarding all the pork so someone needs to provide for the rest of WV. Byrd realized this, and hopefully Joe will be as successful.

Im rooting for this, but I dont see this passing because the government is broke, and the trend among the Republicans is to sell of national parks to private companies for resources so I imagine they would be against this.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:14 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
Yeah, I don't see this happening this decade. Things are just too much of a mess in Washington now. Joe is just posturing politically. I think he realizes he will be in for a tough fight to keep his job in the next election. John Raese promises to be competition again, and he is a highly respected and successful businessman. One thing about him is he will try to run a clean campaign, and that is rare in politics these days.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:27 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,313,572 times
Just a little political wind in the air....Our National Park System is a disgrace.....

Joe is taking a page from the old Teddy Roosevelt political play book.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:24 AM

423 posts, read 1,237,488 times
[quote=David Kennedy;23020942]....Our National Park System is a disgrace.....
QUOTE]

Sorry ... not to take issue with your thought here .... but it's a disgrace compared to what? National park systems in other countries?? I'm not much of a world traveler and quite honestly I've never given much thought to other countries having national park systems. So I'm just curious ....

Old 02-17-2012, 05:54 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,313,572 times
When the budget cuts came, the parks were the first to get 'no money.
Facilites are 'broken down and in need of much repair. The 'pay as you go system has not generated enough money to keep them up.
In places like Yellowstone, Gettysburg and Yosemitie the damage and pressure from humans have placed a limit on how many people can see them.
It costs a lot to keep up the National Parks and Washington has not put up the money to fix them

MoJo's federal study to expand them will only become that.

The State of Wv certainly does not intend to cultivate the gas reserves in the national interest, harvest the forests or protect this vast area, (and they almost have the money to do this too).

This press release is just political posturing.
Looks good....like being a protector of the enviornment or something like that.
Maybe protecting this vast watershed or something like that. ha ha ha

Don't be offended, nothing is done in politics unless money can be gathered in...that's the truth!

Old 02-17-2012, 07:33 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
The parks are a awesome national treasures, but they are seriously underfunded. With inadequate funding in place for existing resources, don't look for Photo Op's proposal to gain any real traction at all.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:01 AM

282 posts, read 484,768 times
This has been talked about for many years. I'm sure none of us alive today will live to see it happen, but it's good to see some push now behind it. These areas are not just state treasures, they are national treasures, and very unique in the eastern U.S. Blackwater Canyon itself could be a small national park. You should not be standing on Lindy Point in the Blackwater Canyon, our version of Zion Canyon or Yosemite, and seeing logging roads all over the place. I can still remember when I was young going deer hunting with my dad in Canaan Valley, and how unspoiled and undeveloped nearly the entire valley was back then. Unbelievably, at one time there was even talk to dam up the Blackwater River in Canaan to build a large lake for electric power. I would love to somehow go back 150 years and see what this entire region looked like back then before it was logged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia