Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 09:34 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Lol! I have never heard them referred to as string beans! I'm a midwesterner by birth, and it's always been green beans to me. Local pronounciations of words is something else that gives away the area of the country some people come from. In most of the midwest people call it pop, everywhere else they call it soda. In most northern states it's called car-mel, in most southern states it's called care-a-mel. Many such words.
Oh yeah, String beans tends to be a northeastern thing, you might hear it in Ohio on occasion. :P

The Carmel/Caramel thing reminded me of this. My family pronounces Cayuga lake as "Cyuga", after living here I now say "Ca-yuga". They made a point of that one when they heard it. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 07:10 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
It should be noted though that in my opinion accents are fading fast in this country among the 30 and under groups. Some people still have their regional accents and some have slight traces of accents but I've noticed accents are on the way out. People are more mobile and move around so much, and we grew up with a lot of tv.
I agree with this. In fact, the younger set all over the country have something I call the youth accent. It is different than that had by older people anywhere. It might come from tv?

Old 02-01-2013, 09:22 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I agree with this. In fact, the younger set all over the country have something I call the youth accent. It is different than that had by older people anywhere. It might come from tv?
TV has been around for over 50 years now...try again.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:50 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
Yeah, but to my generation TV was the babysitter... We spent way too much time plopped down in front of it.

I'm not saying that this is why the millennials seem to be accent-less... but I'd say its a factor for sure.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Lol! I have never heard them referred to as string beans! I'm a midwesterner by birth, and it's always been green beans to me. Local pronounciations of words is something else that gives away the area of the country some people come from. In most of the midwest people call it pop, everywhere else they call it soda. In most northern states it's called car-mel, in most southern states it's called care-a-mel. Many such words.
Stringbeans and green beans are two different beans I thought...

Old 02-03-2013, 05:23 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Yeah, but to my generation TV was the babysitter... We spent way too much time plopped down in front of it.
That explains a lot about you.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:44 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
Quote:
Nope. At least not according to Wikipedia. Although there is a wide variety of green beans, including some that are stringless.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:40 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
I always thought that there were several varieties of green beans. I remember hearing of wax beans, string beans, half runners, pole beans, etc. I thought that string beans are the kind that you have to cut off the ends and remove the strings before cooking.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I always thought that there were several varieties of green beans. I remember hearing of wax beans, string beans, half runners, pole beans, etc. I thought that string beans are the kind that you have to cut off the ends and remove the strings before cooking.
Yes! That is what I thought. That's what my grandparents do with them. They are cut and the strings removed before cooked where as I guess green beans are just cooked? I don't know.. I don't eat them. Perhaps they're different beans all together or perhaps they the same bean with different varieties.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:52 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
"Green beans" is a broad term. I think Wikipedia said over 130 varieties. Some of these are the common pole beans and bush beans that I remember having to sit out on the porch and "snap" the beans to free the string, and then break into chunks of 1-2" long. These are also known as "string beans" and "snap beans".

Lots of other green beans have no string. They're still green beans, but they're "stringless green beans".

Pole beans, bush beans, half-runners, etc. refers to how the plant grows. Most green beans come in both pole bean and bush bean versions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia