Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 10:35 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times

Advertisements

ThTE=aeros71;28975101]The coal companies pay a pretty good wage, how is that contributing to creating poverty and hopelessness?

Earlier on in the 20th century, when the coal companies had more control over their workers by housing them in coal camps and only giving them scrip as pay, before the union wars, I can see your argument. I don't see how your argument can hold up now.[/quote]

They give spare change, extract great wealth, and leave a health and environmental mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 05:09 PM

708 posts, read 1,156,992 times
No denying SWV has a drug problem, see it all the time. To call it a war zone may be a stretch. I don't think we have gangs like in Mexico roving the Tug and Guyandotte fighting over turf. The motive for the shooting is still unknown, but I'm goin to stick my neck out there and say its not drug related. As far as drug violence, that only happens if you get ripped or robbed.

As far as blaming coal companies for poverty, idk, on one hand they have provided wages and employment for a lot of people, especially my family, it put food on the table, but also placed us in a disadvantage when Dad was laid off in the 80's, both Grandpas died in the mines in the 60's and 70's as well. Miners who have jobs today are well taken care of, its just they arent any other jobs for people to work at other than service industry. The SWV economy should have been more diversified and not all of its eggs placed on the boom or bust of coal cycles. A lot has been taken out and not nearly enough put back in. Coal has been a double edged sword, it still keeps SWV goin and that's not goin to change.

Hopelessness and poverty are a way of life, genetically passed down from one generation to the next for those who don't leave. McDowell has been labeled the worst county in WV, maybe top 5 in the US. But to talk to everybody you don't really feel like that, there's no sense of change that's goin to happen, so life goes on as is.

On another note, there are two different independent documentary film projects here in McDowell and Wyoming Counties. Hollow, is the name of a film project here in McDowell that is focusing on life, positive change, and the stories of the people here. Oxyana(I kid you not) is based out of Oceana and focuses on drug abuse in that community, I'm sure they will be outrage over it, so be prepared.

Hollow Documentary website below, gives a background of those involved.

http://www.hollowthefilm.com/about/project-team/

Looks like Oxyana in theaters April 19. Per IMBD below

Plot Summary for
Oxyana (2013)

Oxyana is a state of mind, a nickname coined by the press to describe Oceana, West Virginia. Oceana is a rural coal mining town, which in recent years has become riddled with Oxycontin addiction. Oxyana is an unflinchingly close focus on the anguish and horrors of a community that the rest of the country would just as soon forget.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:37 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
If the area was truly becoming lawless and violent, the State would have intervened by now and sent in the National Guard and probably even contacted D.C. for some resources.

Please explain to me how the coal industry is responsible for the drug problem. I don't believe the coal companies are forcing people to take drugs. Are the coal companies responsible for the drug abuse across the entire nation?
It doesn't work like that. It isn't like meth manufacturers walk around wearing signs advertising what they do. It is a huge problem, especially in the southern part of the state, but it is endemic everywhere. Often, in the case of oxycontins, people become addicted quite legally due to incompetence on the part of medical practicioners, but once addicted they turn to illegal use because the addiction is so strong. I know a former police Lieutenant that was in that situation, and he ended up stealing money from his police organization to support his habit. He hurt his back making an arrest and was prescribed the medication. Always try to avoid using narcotic pain medication if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia