Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2013, 10:48 AM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Actually no.

First off schools and cities are 2 different things. This applies to USN&WR ONLY. Not EVERYTHING. Also even if it were true Morgantown has more people than both Huntington and Charleston.

Ranking wise Huntington and Charleston are literally rated as the 2 worst metro areas in the country. Whereas Morgantown has a ton of good reports. In that regard WVU is similar to Morgantown as it is best in WV and Marshal is the very worst in WV.

Huntington:

-2nd worst well being
2nd most obese
-Most poverty stricken area of WV
-worst teeth

Charleston:
-Worst well being
-Most obese
All measures Moegantown wasn't even checked for since it is grouped with small MSAs that don't get rated. Apples to oranges just like comparing national universities to regional ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 10:54 AM

941 posts, read 1,354,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
This has absolutely nothing to do with Huntington or Charleston, or with Morgantown for that matter, but there is not a single measure that I can think of where Morgantown would not compare favorably with those two cities, unless you are talking about the ever shifting opinions of bureaucrats in Washington as they compile there largely bogus lists of "permanent" residents in our various small towns in our state.

There is really no way to compare WVU with the other schools in the state since WVU is the only doctoral level, national school in the state. No other school is even remotely close to that status.
I don't believe that the comparison of cities was the point. Bailey is trying to point out some logic flaws (i.e. a double standard held by individual(s).)

We're all just looking for a little more objectivity, realism, and logical reasoning. Just stating that WVU is the best and saying "look at the national rankings" isn't good enough. For example, Marshall does come remotely close. If it had more doctorate programs and more research then it would be in the same category with WVU. What's the difference in education quality? NO ONE knows except those who have taken multiple courses in multiple disciplines at both schools.

If I had my bias then I would just say go to Marshall but I would never do that because it doesn't seem that is what the poster is looking for, as I stated in my very first post and so I suggested other schools. If the poster wanted a school with doctorate programs then WVU would be my first suggestion and then Marshall (depending on the requested program because Marshall has some but not a lot.)

Everyone needs to remove themselves from their bias and look at it objectively. To say that WVU is the only school in WV that offers a good education is absolutely ridiculous and anyone who reads this knows that. WVU and Marshall should have been out of this thread a LONG time ago because they DO NOT meet the poster's requests (i.e. more individualized attention and cheaper out-of-state tuition.)

I suppose that it doesn't matter though because the poster probably stopped reading this thread a long time ago after seeing useless bickering over a school that doesn't match the description in the OP. That makes this thread useless and helpful to almost no one.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
That is a completely different ranking and comparable.

WVU is still the best in WV. Marshall and the rest are still terrible using any ranking system.

Forbes ranks ALL the universities in the world and WVU is ranked by them in the top 1% I believe.
I don't know nor care what rankings that you are looking at but the rankings I posted clearly says "America's Top Colleges."

Old 07-04-2013, 11:08 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,457,935 times
Quote:
LOL

No school in WV comes near WVU academically.
Nonsense!

Bethany is an excellent school academically speaking.

You seem to be quite a jerk yourself ( Special Olympics dissing) and if you ever attended WVU, then you are a poor example of it's excellence.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 07-04-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
Nonsense!

You seem to be quite a jerk yourself ( Special Olympics dissing) and if you ever attended WVU, then you are a poor example of it's excellence.

Posted with TapaTalk
Bethany is an excellent school, along with Wheeling Jesuit, West Liberty, WV Weseleyn, and Concord. I believe Bethany might be the best of those though.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:22 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,457,935 times
I only mentioned Bethany because it the only one I have any personal knowledge about to refute the ridiculous poster saying there's WVU or nothing.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 07-04-2013, 11:35 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
All measures Moegantown wasn't even checked for since it is grouped with small MSAs that don't get rated. Apples to oranges just like comparing national universities to regional ones.
Yes, that is the way the census works, but it doesnt change the fact that Morgantown has more people in it, nor does it change the fact that Charleston and Huntington are the 2 worst areas in the US.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
I don't believe that the comparison of cities was the point. Bailey is trying to point out some logic flaws (i.e. a double standard held by individual(s).)

We're all just looking for a little more objectivity, realism, and logical reasoning. Just stating that WVU is the best and saying "look at the national rankings" isn't good enough. For example, Marshall does come remotely close. If it had more doctorate programs and more research then it would be in the same category with WVU. What's the difference in education quality? NO ONE knows except those who have taken multiple courses in multiple disciplines at both schools.

If I had my bias then I would just say go to Marshall but I would never do that because it doesn't seem that is what the poster is looking for, as I stated in my very first post and so I suggested other schools. If the poster wanted a school with doctorate programs then WVU would be my first suggestion and then Marshall (depending on the requested program because Marshall has some but not a lot.)

Everyone needs to remove themselves from their bias and look at it objectively. To say that WVU is the only school in WV that offers a good education is absolutely ridiculous and anyone who reads this knows that. WVU and Marshall should have been out of this thread a LONG time ago because they DO NOT meet the poster's requests (i.e. more individualized attention and cheaper out-of-state tuition.)

I suppose that it doesn't matter though because the poster probably stopped reading this thread a long time ago after seeing useless bickering over a school that doesn't match the description in the OP. That makes this thread useless and helpful to almost no one.
It is not a double standard, it is 2 separate things. The only double standard is posters who ONLY believe something when it agrees with their biases and ignore things when it doesnt, and we have a quite a few posters who do this.

Marshall doesnt come close the rankings clearly show that. Not only is Marshall not close it is leagues behind WVU. There is NO reason to ever recommend Marshall unless someone lives in the Huntington area, doesnt want to leave the area, and wants a 4 year degree Bachelor's or grad degree over an associates, although the Associates would teach them more than Marshall.

WVU is the only school in WV that offers a good education, except for some community colleges. It is the only Bachelor and Grad school worth attending. Everything else is a complete waste of money.

The OP asked a question and received a truthful answer. Some people didnt like the truth and keep arguing against it. They have only themselves to blame for this long thread.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
I don't know nor care what rankings that you are looking at but the rankings I posted clearly says "America's Top Colleges."
You brought up Forbes up now and WVU is again ranked very high. Marshall not so much. I am sure you can find some ranking by some guy in a forum who claims they conducted research that will rank Marshall.

However, real publications do not caste Marshal in a good light. To be fair no objective person would.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
Nonsense!

Posted with TapaTalk
Well it is better than Marshall but that doesnt mean a school is good.

Nobody dissed the special Olympics. The only people who are dissing it are the ones that feel being compared to it is a bad thing.

I post the facts. Truth hurts. Some people cant handle it, not my problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia