Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 07:52 PM

6,078 posts, read 9,110,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
It kinda blows my mind that the water source for the entire Charleston metro area is being sucked up downsteam from an outfit like this' chemical storage. What other chemical storage is just upsteam from the intake?? And who is this WV American Water Co.? I thought the municipalities/counties controlled the water, not private companies, at least not in metro areas like Charleston - that's kind of surprising to me.
That is the only plant of its kind on the Elk River, so no other plants are upstream from the water plant. And yes, WV American Water is a contracted outfit that provides Water to the whole metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 08:52 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Thanks, but I am not in WV anymore due to my job. And no it did not change my opinion of the chemical industry in the Kanawha Valley. I think that because of the accident that more safety regulations need to come as a result, but that should happen after every industrial accident. This company should be cited for violations and fined for the costly clean up. But I still support the chemical industry here in the KV because of the impact it has on the economy and the jobs it creates. There has not been an accident before, and one spill by a plant that is not even a major facility is not going to change my opinion.
Nobody is saying to close it all down.

It just needs more regulation, and you admitted as much.

Glad you are not in the area. You went to Florida, I remember now, or at least last time you mentioned it.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:54 PM

708 posts, read 1,157,353 times
Well didn't they find a female body in the Elk River with a death head moth in the persons throat back in the early 90's? I remember the FBI investigated it. I know it's unrelated to the spill but it keeps popping in my mind.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:13 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
The Legislative Session started Wednesday in Charleston but the officials did not meet today due to the water problems. That may or may not be a good thing for this company. I wouldn't think it would be in their best interest to have that many elected officials in Charleston at this time.

W.Va. Gov. Issues State of Emergency for 9 Counties, Water Ban for 100,000+ The link here mentions that the chemical may still be leaking or leeching into the Elk River at this time and that the leak may have been ongoing for some time before the leak was discovered. A press conference is scheduled for 10:30am Friday for an update to the situation.

FEMA is delivering over 50 tractor trailer loads of water to be picked up by a WV Air National Guard C-130 that flew to Martinsburg to load the water. Thousands of residents warned to not use water* - News - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports -

At least at this time, where I live in Putnam county, we receive our water from Hurricane City Water and we have been told that our water is fine because the water is pulled from the Hurricane Reservoir.
It's going to take a lot more than one C-130 to move 50 trailer loads of water. Getting water for a 9 county area will be a massive undertaking, and it will involve getting help from all over the state and region. They're going to need the Guard, fire departments, donations, Red Cross, all sorts of help. At times like this, people learn about the real value of the National Guard. They are saints in uniform there for pitching in during disasters, just like they have been for 250 years, and they get far too little recognition from federal and state governments for the enormous contributions they make. The Guard is American volunteerism at its very best.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:43 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
It's going to take a lot more than one C-130 to move 50 trailer loads of water. Getting water for a 9 county area will be a massive undertaking, and it will involve getting help from all over the state and region. They're going to need the Guard, fire departments, donations, Red Cross, all sorts of help. At times like this, people learn about the real value of the National Guard. They are saints in uniform there for pitching in during disasters, just like they have been for 250 years, and they get far too little recognition from federal and state governments for the enormous contributions they make. The Guard is American volunteerism at its very best.
Good post, I agree. One of my good friends is in the Guard. He spent his entire summer helping with the Boy Scout headquarters.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:33 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
While there are other water treatment plants, you can't simply decide to change water companies. Sure, people can get water in jugs so they have drinking water, water for brushing teeth, and keeping pets healthy. Now, how do I get that clean water company to come pipe up to my shower?
They won't you will have to go get the water yourself.

Many people living in the country have there own well water.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
They do now.

It is a shame that people need to get their water supply destroyed before realizing how stupid they were in the past. This country, and this state, engaged in a race to the bottom and we reached the bottom. Now that people see how bad it is the race is up again.
There water supply is not destroyed,
it has just been contaminated for a short period of time.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
It kinda blows my mind that the water source for the entire Charleston metro area is being sucked up downsteam from an outfit like this' chemical storage. What other chemical storage is just upsteam from the intake?? And who is this WV American Water Co.? I thought the municipalities/counties controlled the water, not private companies, at least not in metro areas like Charleston - that's kind of surprising to me.
Put this title WV American Water Co in Yahoo and you can
read about the water problem from many sites.

This is WV American Water Co. home page

West Virginia Home Page

Old 01-12-2014, 09:03 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,870 times
Those tanks are at least as old as I am, and I'll be 30 this spring. I believe it was owned by Dupont at one point. (side note: swimming near those tanks in the Elk as a child landed me in Women's and Childrens for 18 days with a kidney infection in 93). I grew up on the westside and still have family living in Hillsdale.

I've seen people bemoan the fact that lawsuits are already being filed, despite area businesses and residents experiencing lost wages/revenue due to the gross negligence of Freedom Industries. I've seen the EPA, the water company, even the POTUS blamed for this by Charleston area residents. Insane.

Coal isn't to blame for this, but if you haven't checked google maps in a while you should. They're giving Southern WV a wicked case of geographical acne with all of the strip mining that is readily visible from the satellite images.

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...2C5.410767&z=8

A lot of this has occurred in the last decade. There's always a question of economics vs environment, but what is your heritage worth to you?

Old 01-12-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
Well didn't they find a female body in the Elk River with a death head moth in the persons throat back in the early 90's? I remember the FBI investigated it. I know it's unrelated to the spill but it keeps popping in my mind.
That came from a movie call Silence Of The Lambs.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia