Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:52 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times

Advertisements

Sarah,

I'll assume that Word Processing means MS-Word and Spreadsheets means MS-Excel.

Those are very specific skills that you should emphasize on your resume. Especially Excel... I see lots of students who can do OK with Word, but don't do well with Excel. So next spring, put a lot of effort into that Spreadsheet course, because it's a way to separate yourself from the average job applicant.

And while you're finishing your certificate this spring, get your job hunt in WV started... maybe take a long weekend and visit some of the cities we've mentioned, contact employment agencies, etc.

Everybody (almost, anyway) eventually has to move out. Don't look at it as a stressor, consider it an adventure, an exploration of a different culture. Give it a year or so, and if it doesn't work out, you can always move back with your parents (right?).

Snorpus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 08:57 PM

95 posts, read 466,517 times
Thanks Snorpus.

Perhaps that is what gives me a little anxiety. I'm not sure they'd let me come back home. I'm dating someone who lives in WV now that my mother in particular couldn't stand, but she's never met him and hasn't ever given him a chance. She wouldn't even let me talk about him before judging him as Satan's spawn. After some thought, I continued to see him, keeping it to myself, wanting to preserve something special somehow. Its lasted almost 2 years (with one break because of distance and other factors), and I am looking for a solution to the problems:

a.) need to move out & become truly 'independent', not burdening my parents (I'm 20)
b.) want to be totally honest about every facet of my life, making mistakes and good choices, learning, without unnecessary reprecussions for failing to follow through on someone's expectations (aka, if my parents strongly disagree with something then I must do it their way or be disowned)
c.) grow up enough to handle these issues responsibly and wisely

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the beauty of WV particularly- the quiet, the small-town feel, lower cost of living, and seeming closeness between people. I have wanted to leave Maryland for a long time, to find something different and adventurous(but that doesn't mean sin city). To leave the nest and take on a little risk.
I just have an accompanying motivation: the love of my life.

hmmm.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:23 PM

413 posts, read 1,845,967 times
Totally off course here, but why WV? Just curious because there are many other states with much more opportunity for someone (myself included) with not alot of college credit. I've been to WV a few times and it doesn't seem like retail is "thriving" there.
**nevermind, I just read your last post. Stupid me. Good luck!!!!

Old 12-18-2007, 06:27 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think WV has one of the highest minimum wages for food servers; in that they are paid $4 something per hour instead of $2. Darn, I don't have the exact amount...but it came with the rise of the federal minimum wage (or will be coming soon). I'm a bookkeeper, and I received a bulletin outlining all of the new minimum wage laws in each state. I remember seeing WVs wage for food server's and being a bit surprised.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:07 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,616,892 times
I served a couple years ago while still in college and I know for fact that I was paid $2.30 an hour (the average restaurant pay), however with tips I usually made upwards of $10.00. The rule generally is that your average earnings have to exceed minimum wage, so 2.15-2.30 was considered what they could pay while factoring in tips and exceed min wage. However I think that with the new federal min. wage laws going into effect it might raise that base pay amount towards $4.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:39 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfronz View Post
I served a couple years ago while still in college and I know for fact that I was paid $2.30 an hour (the average restaurant pay), however with tips I usually made upwards of $10.00. The rule generally is that your average earnings have to exceed minimum wage, so 2.15-2.30 was considered what they could pay while factoring in tips and exceed min wage. However I think that with the new federal min. wage laws going into effect it might raise that base pay amount towards $4.
True; but in other states (like PA and FL) the raise was not as good for tipped employees...like from $2.83.hr and $3.65 respectively.

Oh and http://www.dol.gov/esa/programs/whd/state/tipped.htm#WestVirginia (broken link) is a link I found that shows $5.24 for tipped employees in WV (although I'm sure there may be some stipulations there).

Old 12-19-2007, 06:56 AM

95 posts, read 466,517 times
maybe I could try waitressing.

as many horror stories I have heard I am wary, but if I keep going to college after I get there(somehow) I would be okay when I'm done.

Right now I'm looking for maryland jobs that will help give me more skills to get the better admin assistant type jobs. right now I'm kindn of an in-between person as my qualifications go so I'm trying to step it up.

thanks for the suggestions.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:35 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Here another suggestion, No mater where you want live get an apt baised on income...HUD. Then no matter what your income you will always have roof over your head. Not have to move in with parents or anyone!

Old 05-28-2008, 09:09 PM

531 posts, read 1,744,257 times
I've always thought waiters should get miminum wage and tips should be extra. If it's a slow day $2-$3 an hour is far too low! HUD may be a good option,but in some areas there is a waiting list.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:01 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Sarah if I can offer a few suggestions- for work in maryland you might as well go with a temp agency that underscores what your education track is designed. Consistent resumes are attractive, and the more exposure to an office environment you get the more confidence you'll have on the rest of the interviews down the road. Temp agencies also offer the benefit of allowing you to trip up a bit and not have a big ruckus about it with negative marks on a resume. They know you're new and tend to be more tolerant. You can test your wings safely there IMO. Temp agency will coach you if you ask them.
I did both- temp and waitressing while in college. Waitressing was more lucrative on fri & sat (date nights) and it didn't conflict with school schedule. It also didn't blow me out of financial aid criteria for student loans at the time for making $2 too much (not sure if they've since changed that dumb all or nothing policy). Temp office work is fine for mon-fri when school is out, and on a resume it reads as continuous employment even when you were on/off about it for school.
Boyfriend... just don't forget what you mean to do for yourself. If you can do that one thing, there will be little to regret, and the rest is icing on a cake.
Here's a list of employment agencies.
http://www.westvirginiajobfair.com/
Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia