Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 10:23 AM

282 posts, read 484,704 times

Advertisements

When I was in grade school we used to get the Tomaro's pepperoni rolls once a month for lunch. They were in the little white paper bags. You could smell the pepperoni as soon as they brought them in the school, and that's all we thought about until lunch.

Country Club bakery's are good too, so I vote a tie for commercially sold rolls. But I don't care much for the individual pepperoni rolls sold in stores in the plastic bags. One, they're too expensive for what they are, and they don't have that good hard crust, which is what makes them so good when they're fresh. So very best is really home made right out of the oven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 09:33 AM

48 posts, read 99,329 times
Thank you and everyone else for the responses.

I'm in West Virginia now and having the time of my life, but I don't know if I'm going to have time to make it to Clarksburg HOPEFULLY on the way back. But right now I'm too enamored with the mountains, rivers, and swimming holes.

My car (well not mine lol) almost didn't make it out of Bull Run!! They told me there were 2 ways to go (one of which the last mile or so is impassable without high clearance) and I thought I had taken the longer route where the road is slightly more improved. As it turns out I was given the wrong information and I took the quicker and less improved road (Bull Run out of Masontown) ... there was nowhere to turn around !! lol I had to scrape the car on the bottom of huge rocks but I finally found a parking spot a mile before the cheat river bridge where I could just barely turn around on the edge of a 100' cliff with no margin for error!

Blue Hole (past the cheat bridge) was spectacular, but the water is definitely not the cleanest, very murky. Long story short cos I'm trying to get back on the road after breakfast is it is almost heaven. In fact it would be heaven if not for the pollution; in the streams heading in down Bull Run the rocks are an almost bright orange. Some locals told me when they used to pollute bad they dumped evertything in the small streams/brooks hoping it wouldn't pollute the main rivers as bad and would get "cleaned" on the rocks, I doubt it did not make it down to the river but then again IS THERE any hard evidence that unusually large levels of iron in the water are detrimental to humans? (they are to small invertebrae we know that.

I couldn't make it to Wonder Falls cos halfway down the road was a big mud bog I thought the car would likely get stuck in and there was nobody around to help (it was late and I was tired/hot from hiking around Coopers Rock (so beautiful) so I didn't hike in but maybe on way back. I would post a couple pics but that will have to wait I have to figure it out but it's too nice out, I'm hittin the road!

Going to either Arden or Bemis today and then maybe down to snowshoe for the 5th to see the Hillbilly Gypsies perform at 8pm maybe catch fireworks at 9:30

I'll check back in somewhere in one of my threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IveHadEnough View Post
The earlier you get there, the better. I've gotten them by like 10 or so in the morning, right out of the oven.

I usually get a couple 3 or so fresh out of the oven (no plastic bag, they just put pepperoni roll in a paper bag) and then grab a couple 3 or so, that are bagged in the plastic bag. The point is, the ones that are in teh plastic bag, will stay fresher a couple days. The "fresh" ones, w/o the plastic bag, get hard in a few hours. Still good, but the bread gets hard.

Eat the "fresh" ones first, then the next day, the ones in the plastic bag.

And Tomaros' bread is awesome too. Italian, hard crust. OMG.

And ignore CTMneer above. CC bakery in fairmont, is weak, compared to Tomaro's.

To get to Tomaros, you get off Rt 50 in downtown Cburg. Take the pike street exit (or main st, I forget which one it's called - either pike or main). As soon as you come through the parking building, hang a right. Then go a couple blocks and u have to make a right or a left, make another right. This takes you back over RT 50. Go across the little bridge, and you are in glen elk (you'll see signs for it over the bridge). Just keep going straight, tomaros is about 2 blocks up on your right. They only take cash, too. So leave the checks and cc's at home.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:01 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IveHadEnough View Post
The earlier you get there, the better. I've gotten them by like 10 or so in the morning, right out of the oven.

I usually get a couple 3 or so fresh out of the oven (no plastic bag, they just put pepperoni roll in a paper bag) and then grab a couple 3 or so, that are bagged in the plastic bag. The point is, the ones that are in teh plastic bag, will stay fresher a couple days. The "fresh" ones, w/o the plastic bag, get hard in a few hours. Still good, but the bread gets hard.

Eat the "fresh" ones first, then the next day, the ones in the plastic bag.

And Tomaros' bread is awesome too. Italian, hard crust. OMG.

And ignore CTMneer above. CC bakery in fairmont, is weak, compared to Tomaro's.

To get to Tomaros, you get off Rt 50 in downtown Cburg. Take the pike street exit (or main st, I forget which one it's called - either pike or main). As soon as you come through the parking building, hang a right. Then go a couple blocks and u have to make a right or a left, make another right. This takes you back over RT 50. Go across the little bridge, and you are in glen elk (you'll see signs for it over the bridge). Just keep going straight, tomaros is about 2 blocks up on your right. They only take cash, too. So leave the checks and cc's at home.
He can ignore me if he wishes, and take your advice, but if he were to do that he would be settling for the scrub team and missing out on the champs. CC Bakery is definitely the best. My wife says Minard's Spaghetti Inn has the best Italian food though (not sure I agree with that assessment), so if he is in Clarksburg rather than getting one of NCWV's backup pepperoni rolls, he might just go to Minard's for some good Italian American food.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringomania View Post
Thank you and everyone else for the responses.

I'm in West Virginia now and having the time of my life, but I don't know if I'm going to have time to make it to Clarksburg HOPEFULLY on the way back. But right now I'm too enamored with the mountains, rivers, and swimming holes.

My car (well not mine lol) almost didn't make it out of Bull Run!! They told me there were 2 ways to go (one of which the last mile or so is impassable without high clearance) and I thought I had taken the longer route where the road is slightly more improved. As it turns out I was given the wrong information and I took the quicker and less improved road (Bull Run out of Masontown) ... there was nowhere to turn around !! lol I had to scrape the car on the bottom of huge rocks but I finally found a parking spot a mile before the cheat river bridge where I could just barely turn around on the edge of a 100' cliff with no margin for error!

Blue Hole (past the cheat bridge) was spectacular, but the water is definitely not the cleanest, very murky. Long story short cos I'm trying to get back on the road after breakfast is it is almost heaven. In fact it would be heaven if not for the pollution; in the streams heading in down Bull Run the rocks are an almost bright orange. Some locals told me when they used to pollute bad they dumped evertything in the small streams/brooks hoping it wouldn't pollute the main rivers as bad and would get "cleaned" on the rocks, I doubt it did not make it down to the river but then again IS THERE any hard evidence that unusually large levels of iron in the water are detrimental to humans? (they are to small invertebrae we know that.

I couldn't make it to Wonder Falls cos halfway down the road was a big mud bog I thought the car would likely get stuck in and there was nobody around to help (it was late and I was tired/hot from hiking around Coopers Rock (so beautiful) so I didn't hike in but maybe on way back. I would post a couple pics but that will have to wait I have to figure it out but it's too nice out, I'm hittin the road!

Going to either Arden or Bemis today and then maybe down to snowshoe for the 5th to see the Hillbilly Gypsies perform at 8pm maybe catch fireworks at 9:30

I'll check back in somewhere in one of my threads.
The reason Blue Hole is murky isn't pollution. We've had some serious thunder storms during the night hours within the past couple of days, and the runoff leads to a muddy appearance. We do have some pollution issues with Deckers Creek due to mine runoff, and they are working on finding solutions for that, but that is not a normal condition for the Cheat.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:07 AM

19,750 posts, read 22,654,259 times
On occasions I've had better at the Bluebird in Clarksburg.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:55 PM

Everyone in NCWV has their favorites. That is the source of the disagreement. But, they are all good.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:41 PM

That is true- they are all good.

I miss pepperoni rolls. In Montana there is this fetish with something similar- a pasty (pron Paa-STEE). It's bland flour dough pocket stuffed with plain ground meat a potatoes. Blech. It's an Irish thing.

Italian mine workers at better than the Irish, for sure!

Old 07-07-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
That is true- they are all good.

I miss pepperoni rolls. In Montana there is this fetish with something similar- a pasty (pron Paa-STEE). It's bland flour dough pocket stuffed with plain ground meat a potatoes. Blech. It's an Irish thing.

Italian mine workers at better than the Irish, for sure!
I don't think I would agree that Italian mine workers are better than Irish mine workers, but I think it is safe to say their wives bake better pepperoni rolls. Still, contrary to popular belief, pepperoni is NOT Italian. They do not have it in Italy. They barely have pizza there, and the variety they do have stinks (way too greasy). Pepperoni is strictly Italian American.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:59 AM

Oops- I meant to write Italian mine workers eat better than Irish workers! LOL..

I know the Irish one's drank better beer though!

Old 07-14-2014, 08:28 AM

48 posts, read 99,329 times
Tomaro's is going to be hard to beat . This coming from a foodie connoisseur from the northeast with exquisite taste ; It's all about the fresh baked (gourmet) roll with quality stick pepperoni with just enough spice . Hard to beat the bread of a famous 100 year old bakery that's stood the test of time even in a place that's undergone economic hardship like Clarsksburg.

I haven't yet tried CCB, but like I said. Tomaro's is going to be EXTREMELY hard to beat.

They even make them different sizes I got the dozen small ones and a bigger roll that I could open up and ad nuff sauce (homemade that I bought in Reedsville) and cheese.

Tomaro's is another real gem and they sell tons of pizza crust too (cos it's good), I wish Clarksburg was a half hour closer to Summersville Lake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia