Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:53 AM

169 posts, read 593,310 times

Advertisements

First, let me say thank you to all the wonderful folks who have been so kind in sharing information in my relocation to West Virginia. I have a couple of questions on changing over from to TX to WV and would appreciate any input.

Driver's Liscense: How long do I have once I arrive, do I actually need to retest and what is the cost there? TDL is $12, good for 6 years and no test required. If you have a valid license from another state, they take your photo and hand you a TDL.

Auto Tags: Do you have one or two & how soon does that have to be done once I arrive?

Vehicle Inspection: How much and it's once a year, correct?

Are there Wells Fargo Banks there in WV?

Thanks so much, LSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 08:58 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,243,365 times
Auto tags are rear only.

I *think* you have 30 days (might be 60) to switch, once you establish permanent residence.

You might want to check the "Newcomer's Guide (broken link)" at the state web site, WV.gov... Your West Virginia Directory!.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:30 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,384,014 times
For your license you don't have to re-test. I paid $10.00 to get mine.

You have 30 days to change your tags. You have to go to the assessor's office to get an exempt form so you won't have to pay taxes when you get your new tags. The tags were really cheap $30. I used to pay almost $100 before.

The main thing is to have proof of residency and birth certificates and such.

My husband still hasn't gotten his license because there is more involved for a commercial license.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:45 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,327,050 times
Acceptable proof of residency is 2 government issued photo ID cards, a voters registration card and a birth certificate.

They will give you a list of acceptable documents at the DMV.
A DL is $30.00, is good for 4 years and I expect because you are out of state, they might have you do an eye test at the facility, but not the driving test.

Annual vehicle inspection is $12.00, at many garages displaying the certification sign.
Boats and MC's are inspected too, but expire on June 30th of each year.

Wells-Fargo was here...but I do not see them in this region now.
Many people keep their original bank accounts in other states and that does not seem to be a problem here with cashing checks or using debit cards. If your pension checks are on automatic deposit, don't rush to change anything.

If you let the residency time period expire, you will be inviolation of the law and could be prosecuted in a local magiatrate court.
They are taking this issue seriously as a safe guard to illegals and prospective terrorists. I'm speaking of North Central WV and cannot speak for the entire state. Our area is a high security area. Drug tests and credit checks for employment and all the other safeguards. This is an effort to keep tabs on everybody in the region.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Acceptable proof of residency is 2 government issued photo ID cards, a voters registration card and a birth certificate.

They will give you a list of acceptable documents at the DMV.
A DL is $30.00, is good for 4 years and I expect because you are out of state, the will have you do an eye test at the facility, but not the driving test.

Annual vehicle inspection is $12.00 at many garages displaying the certification sign.
Boats and MC's are inspected too, but expire on June 30th of each year.

Wells-Fargo was here...but I do not see them in this region. Many people keep their original bank accounts in other states and that does not seem to be a problem here with cashing checks or using debit cards if you pension checks are on automatic deposit.

I think post 9/11 most states are cracking down on most of these things, that is why it can be a pain to turn all this stuff over but I have to say that DMV here was a breeze, before I would of rather pulled a tooth than to deal with the idiots at the DMV, it was an all day adventure.
If you let the residency time period expire, you will be inviolation of the law and would be prosecuted in a local magiatrate court. They are taking this issue seriously as a safe guard to illegals and prospective terrorists. I'm speaking of North Central WV and cannot speak for the entire state. Our area is a high security area. Drug tests and credit checks for employment and all the trimmings.
The eye test was kind of a joke, unless you are really blind you will pass it .

Don't forget the DWI/DUI course you have to take , it consist of them handing you a pamphlet that you have to read about the laws and punishment of drinking and driving. Then you have to give it back. When I read about this before moving I thought I actually had to go to a class, like boaters have to take before getting a license.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:06 AM

Thank you Janipoo...DUI is a very serious costly matter...my nephew was out skinny dipping with his girlfriend one night and had one beer to many...He was just barely over the blood level alcohol limit...
First offense will cost him: $3500 this includes lawyer fees...
job because he cannot attend two days a week...
certain costs for the DUI Classes ($350, I think)
...rated auto insurance until he is 28...
criminal record because he did not fight the issue in court for fear of failing to win..pleaded Nolo Contendrie...

This issue, DUI could be it's own topic...

Old 01-30-2008, 10:07 AM

OK, so I pay $30 for 4 years, don't need to re-test but have to take the eye test and read a pamphlet. Vehicle inspection is $12 annually and my OEM windows will pass inspection. Do I have all this correct? I have the dark limo windows that you can't see into the vehicle but, these are OEM and not really tinted with film.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Thank you Janipoo...DUI is a very serious costly matter...my nephew was out skinny dipping with his girlfriend one night and had one beer to many...He was just barely over the blood level alcohol limit...
First offense will cost him: $3500 this includes lawyer fees...
job because he cannot attend...
certain costs for the DUI Classes ($350, I think)
...rated auto insurance until he is 28...
criminal record because he did not fight the issue in court for fear of failing to win..pleaded guilty and nolo contendrie...

This issue, DUI could be it's own topic...
Yes it could be it's own topic.

From what I read in the pamphlet (yes, I actually did read it) WV is really tuff on drinking and driving. I know in my old hometown paper they listed the people who were busted and they will be on their 3rd or 4th offense and have a $250 fine. Please, 1st time is a big stupid mistake but if you don't learn your lesson from that than there should be no 2nd chance.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:13 AM

You are OK if they are factory...you will not have any real problems...go for it..
If the state was into the 21st century at all, we could do almost all of this red tape over the computer...

Old 01-30-2008, 10:15 AM

I have a friend here in West Texas who just got a DUI about 4 months ago and his total cost when it was said & done was over $9K. That was his first offense and he is now on 5 years probation not to mention the insurance increase and he may lose his job because he's a truck driver by trade. They don't mess around here in Texas with DUI/DWI as well. I think that's pretty much the case nation wide.

I learned long ago to drink my beer at home and not drive. Don't get me wrong, I use to drink & drive in my younger days and I thank God I never had an accident or ever received a DUI. It's just not worth it today on so many levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia