Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 03:10 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,404,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Crime is porportional to the population mass....more people more reported crime...Wv has less people and less reported crime, but its still in porportion to the amount of people in any given area and compares to the ratios of bigger metro areas.
I think most of West Vriginia's crime issues of what they are, are in regard to Meth/Ice.
WV has an overall lower crime rate than most, and the increase has been drug related as with many other smaller population / rural states.

I have to disagree with the last sentence in regard to being proportionate to bigger metro areas. West By God will have your meth issues, drunks fighting each other in the bars, some punks doing B&E, with murder and other violent crimes being more here and there.

As a comparison to say, Atlanta where I live there is none.
This area is vastly larger than the entire state, but overall dangerous.
Crime ranges from small drug issues, to random shootings, murders, violent robberies, etc., this on a daily basis. What used to be city based is now prevolent throughout the city and suburb base.
In most of West By God they will still help the little old lady across the street, in Atlanta they will first rob the old lady then hit and run when she is alone in the middle of the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 12:05 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,609,504 times
City water and city sewer - doesn't get much better than this:
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

My summer home in Maine is lower in crime - as in non-existent.

A big difference from the farming community in FL where I was previously.

To use this site to check other cities, just change the 5-digit zip code on the end in your browser bar. You'll get 2 pages of statistics for each zip code you put in.

Last edited by Yac; 03-06-2008 at 06:49 AM..

Old 03-08-2008, 08:56 PM

8 posts, read 40,728 times
Anyone think that the state is so safe has anything to do with race? I mean the state is 95% white, no?

No hoodies, no carjackings, no drive by shootings. No bad race relations.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:12 PM

19,775 posts, read 22,673,762 times
No. not really. As stated before WV is not the 'safest' place to live. We rank in the middle somewhere.

Crime is an equal opportunity endeavor.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:54 PM

8 posts, read 40,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
No. not really. As stated before WV is not the 'safest' place to live. We rank in the middle somewhere.

Crime is an equal opportunity endeavor.

I wouldnt say "equal" at all.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:38 AM

19,775 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Well since we are statistically found in the middle of the crime heap, and our ethnic / race statistics are predominately caucasian, I would comfortably say that race has about diddily to do with it.

I would place all my money on other socio-economic reasons, not race.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:15 PM

6 posts, read 25,462 times
basically not much crime all over WV... really I don't think it is bad. Here is the deal with WV... bad economy and no job opportunities. It is in a decline with people moving out to escape the problems. Also a lot of plants (electric etc) that produce a lot of pollution. I would say bluefield,wv is one of the nicest areas in WV. If you are looking purely for safe and small town- Moundsville, WV or any in the Northern Panhandle are your typical safe small town.. not much traffic. However with that comes not much shopping or variety. Mounsville has some run down areas (but still not much crime) and also the nicer areas... it has a few pretty streets. Now Woodsdale in Wheeling is your upper class area... anywhere around Wheeling Park has very nice homes. Also like I said... jobs are a real problem in the whole state.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:14 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,616,892 times
Live in a major metropolitan area like DC/Baltimore and then tell me crime is bad in WV. Sure there are the occasional problems however from what I have read WV always ranks very low in crime problems. Previous posters are correct however that there is indeed a drug problem in the state namely centered around meth use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia