Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 10:30 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
I would just leave him be for awhile and clear out the critters.
Now if you have plumbing downstairs...........................
Let's just say if your having a reading session on the can and you hear a water fart, but it wasn't you. Well, just look down between you legs very slowly
ACK! I just had a mental image there........fear would negate the need for......(trying to keep this clean )

On a more serious note; I respect snakes but do not fear them------at least the smaller non poisonous serpents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 10:39 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
Poor snake! Nobody likes him, beats at him with a shovel if he's seen in public, causes grown men to flee like school girls... As if it's not hard enough to survive without arms and legs! Lord help you if you've been equipped with venom to help you catch vermin! I think the ACLU needs to look into this matter.

I really wonder what it is about snakes that cause the reaction? Maybe that they aren't seen until you're about to step on them, or until you lift up the box they're hiding under. They're almost always looking to flee, never to fight.

I have a resident Black snake or two roaming my property. In my 8 years here, I've never had a mouse in the house. Neighbor kills every snake he sees, and can't keep the mice out of his house. When we bought our place in Hinton, the previous owner had a photo of himself holding up a black snake. This guy was 6'3 or more, and was holding the snake above his head, and it was touching the ground- I would guess the snake was around 6' long. Sadly, the guy had killed it. I bet that snake kept the rodent population in check for quite some time!
I think their is a whole psychology/evolution behind these fears. People tend to not have an appetite for blue, slimey, or green fuzzy things as well. Fear of mice and snakes- disease and painful bites are instinctively avoided.

As snakes go, I would have thought water moccasins would enjoy WV's wet weather and ample streams more than black snake population. I have very limited knowledge of these things, however.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:35 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybilly View Post
Nice try, greg. Didn't phase me one bit. What else you got?
How about this?

Cynthia Mckinney - one of the elected officials here. One of the worst breeds of Pit Viper snakes in North America. In this photo, she has teamed up with the Village People and is prepared to invade the toilets in your basements....

if that doesn't do it, I got nuthin'.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:49 AM

19,751 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Black snakes are great animals. We had a lot of them where we used to live. Same with hog nose snakes- they were neat..

Now this little dude got into my garage one evening. Needless to say he must've been out of his mind to think he would've been welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails
HELP! A freaking snake in my basement.-copperhead.jpg  

Old 06-10-2008, 01:36 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,313,572 times
Greg...if you put up one more pic of Cynthia McKinney...I'll vomit...She's so goofy, the media has a blackout on her...

I look for her to be the new Surgeon General or perhaps, Secretary of State...

and Three-Run...that's a copper head alright...made a belt for the crumb-snatcher I'll bet...I chopped a timber rattler in half one summer and thought about the lovely hide I had ruined...

Old 06-10-2008, 03:32 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times
Sorry to bring this up, but that's not an electric fence in Greg's picture... no insulators where the wire meets the post.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:44 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,224 times
hahahahaha i totally just now realized that was cynthia mckinney in that photo!

Old 06-10-2008, 06:24 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
How about this?

Cynthia Mckinney - one of the elected officials here. One of the worst breeds of Pit Viper snakes in North America. In this photo, she has teamed up with the Village People and is prepared to invade the toilets in your basements....

if that doesn't do it, I got nuthin'.
Geez Greg,
I come to the WV thread to try to forget that I live in Atlanta.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:50 PM

312 posts, read 1,059,530 times
OK, Greg, I lied * about the snake pic not phasing me. so you can stop now.

Actually I thought it was Mick Jagger until I took another look.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:21 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Sorry - didn't mean to cause nightmares over Cynthia. She still does you know (she's running for President even today).

I'm lucky. Back home (Charleston area) we never saw snakes in the yard from what I can remember. But then we lived right IN the city (West Avenue when it was a good neighborhood in the 70s, and on Noyes Avenue in Kanawha City later on). My sister however, lives in an area known as Port Amherst which isn't real far from where Campbell's Creek is and more rural - and she found a baby Copperhead in front of her house last year.

Here I live 25 miles outside of Atlanta and I've seen more here than back home, but (knock on wood hard) they've all been non-poisonous so far in my yard. I have three 100lb dogs though who go outside on a regular basis, I have no creeks nearby, and I keep my grass short, so that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia