Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 01:38 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I wish they would tweak their production in an effort to attract new (read younger) buyers. A lamp they offer is the same style and color lamp my grandmother bought... in 1950.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but geez, you've got to adapt and attract to survive.

But Parkersburg is a nice place. Wasn't it jokingly called the city that goes to bed at 9p.m. or something like that?
50's retro style was in. So was victorian (and I think that's still quite popular- sort of like a classic black dress).
They were following market trends. I think the limits to their market are those who can afford craftsmanship vs those who have a walmart budget. Having had both pairs of shoes on in my life, I've come to see craftsmanship as the better value in the long run. Hard to justify a purchase like that when living hand to mouth, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 01:55 PM

19,775 posts, read 22,673,762 times
From what I understand, their production hasn't really variated that much over the years (nor their marketing efforts).

I mean if the VanDykes resotoration crowd is what you're after, then fine, but you can't expect to support a facility like that with that kind of concentration.

It's sad they had to contract, but it is smart. Hopefully they can adjust and make it work. There's a lot of people pulling for them.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:58 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Three commerce is a reflection of what people value, and sometimes they fail to recognize what is valuable. This economy is contracting, they had to be realistic, and I too am pulling for them.
Artistry cannot compete with cheap glass manufacturers, nor should it try. If it were my business, in current economic climate, I think I'd approach this by making smaller more affordable accent pieces or find a way to incorporate utility into the aesthetics (fenton glass with a proprietary logo- drawer knob pulls for cabinetry, increasing value of a home as example). Cheap knock offs will always come around, and limiting editions will reward those who purchased.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,310 times
Hello, I was reading alot of the posts and found them very interesting. I am from NW Iowa and am tired of all of the flat ground and no trees or wildlife anywhere anymore. Would like to find a place to explore. I am use to living on a farm so living outside of a small town isn't a big thing. I own my own painting business and was wondering if there is a call for painters. Any other information anyone can give would be great.
Thank you

Old 01-17-2013, 05:47 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcre View Post
Hello, I was reading alot of the posts and found them very interesting. I am from NW Iowa and am tired of all of the flat ground and no trees or wildlife anywhere anymore. Would like to find a place to explore. I am use to living on a farm so living outside of a small town isn't a big thing. I own my own painting business and was wondering if there is a call for painters. Any other information anyone can give would be great.
Thank you
Depends what you want. WV is full of small towns, is there any other criteria you have?

I dont think there is great demand for painters, WV has plenty of people who dont mind blue collar work, or do you mean you are artist? In the latter case I would either recommend Morgantown, the biggest city in WV by people actually residing there, since it is the most cultural and artsy place in WV, although it is not a small town, or some smaller tourist oriented areas.

Some smaller tourist towns are known for being artsy too, like Berkley Springs or Lewisburg. Places like Canaan also offer lots of tourist and stores that will sell local art. There is also Tamarack in Southern WV which is a big facility for local artisans to sell wares, but I am not sure how you get a spot there.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,310 times
I do house painting interior and exterior. I also do powerwashing. I am looking to live either in a small town or outside of a bigger city. I love hikking, hunting, fishing and camping. So there should be plenty of availability for things like that for me.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:12 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
I do house painting interior and exterior. I also do powerwashing. I am looking to live either in a small town or outside of a bigger city. I love hikking, hunting, fishing and camping. So there should be plenty of availability for things like that for me.
Ok, but still given your criteria that is 99% of WV.

I believe the job market in WV is doing pretty well. I imagine painters arent in high demand though. If I were you I would focus on an area with low unemployment, and high job growth and population growth as you would have more opportunities for work.

You can hunt, hike, hunt, fish, and camp all over WV. So the only thing I can think of to narrow it down is job prospects.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:22 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times
Best bet would probably be to live in Charles Town or Martinsburg areas and commute for painting work in Northern Virginia. You'll be competing, to some degree, with the huge hispanic community in Northern VA which has a lot of painters, but there's quite a wealthy population in Loudoun County, VA who will hire a good painter for their house. Of course, Jefferson County is probably the most expensive part of WV to live in and it also doesn't really give you the same feeling as the more isolated parts of WV.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:23 PM

6,080 posts, read 9,110,796 times
Quote:
A painter could be fine in any town/city in WV. I suppose it just depends on the lifestyle you'd like to live. In my opinion living around the Charleston area is the best place in the state. It is the largest city, but its not huge by any stretch of imagination. There are alot of great restaurants, shopping, and other things to do here, plus you are so close to prime time outdoor venues like New River Gorge, Hawks Nest, and more. The suburbs around the city are nice, plus everything is easy to get to here. hope this helps!

Old 01-18-2013, 05:35 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,295 times
Check out Elkins...

In the past it has been named the 28th Coolest Town in America, 28th Coolest Arts Town in America as well. As well as being one of the 3 certified West Virginia Arts Cities in West Virginia.

It is a Preserve America City, Tree City, and OnTrak Main Street USA Candidate.

The Randolph County Community Arts Center is located here and offers classes, workshops in painting, sculpting, writing, and opportunity to take in an art gallery from time to time.

The Old Brick Playhouse located in downtown has several plays throughout the year as well tours the local schools. The American Mountain Theater and Gandy Dancer are new to the area and provide Branson, Missouri and Dinner theater type entertainment.

The Mountain State Forest Festival is here and literally the City Park and the old D&E gymnasium as well as several downtown churches fill up with arts and crafts and galleries. If nothing its worth a trip to visit that alone. Downtown is bustling with coffee shops, book stores, banks, restaurants, bars, and even a natural food and herbal medicine store as well as many other things an artistically inclined person may enjoy.

Oh, and not to mention the location is beautiful and within an hours drive of Snowshoe Resort, Canaan Valley Resort, Timberline Resort, Blackwater Falls State Park, Seneca Rocks State Park, and is the headquarters of the Monongahela National Forest with countless hiking, camping, swimming, rock climbing, kayaking, etc.

It's worth a look...

Let me know if you have any questions

Augusta Heritage Festival

City of Elkins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia