Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: West Virginia Residents: What do you think of the big Cities on the East Coast?
I wish I could get out of West Virginia and move there! 0 0%
I visit them but would never want to live there 12 85.71%
Were losing our best High School Graduates to Washington DC 1 7.14%
I have never been to DC or NYC (why would I? West VA is heaven) 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 09:25 AM

148 posts, read 645,975 times

Advertisements

I love to get out of the rat race and multi cultural jungle here in the Washington DC area and drive out to West Virginia. I love driving in the rural areas and stay in the small towns of WVA, walk around just to soak in the culture. As I stated in another posting, I think many of the rural and small town areas of West Virginia seem like America in the 1950s.

Anyway, if you are a resident of small town or rural West Virginia, do you get over to DC Philly or NYC ever? What do you think as a West Virginia resident about huge crowded, multi ethnic, competitive, exciting (??) places like DC and NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 09:43 AM

19,912 posts, read 22,853,217 times
I'm the reverse- My wife and I BOLTED out of the Beltway right after we got married. After 18 years of seperation from that rat race, I get anxious, nervous and feel generally uncomfortable just thinking about going anywhere south of Frederick MD.

**shudder** The mere thought of DC makes me ill. I'll take Seneca Rocks over the Washington Monument any day..

Old 06-30-2008, 10:31 AM

306 posts, read 901,949 times
I grew up in a suburb of DC...I would not want to raise my kiddo there. IMO it's just too much of everything: too much crime, too many people, too much traffic, too busy, busy, busy. I just prefer a quieter, more relaxed way of life.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:26 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,389,476 times
I grew up inside the Capital Beltway and couldn't wait to move out. I moved to Anne Arundel County and lived there for 17 years. My hubby and I purchased property in WV and loved it so much here that we had a house built and have been here for 10 months.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:34 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,637,128 times
I moved to the DC area from Charleston, West Virginia four years ago (right after college) and wouldn't go back if you paid me. I have fond memories growing up in the state and still very much enjoy going back to visit every couple months but I couldn't imagine ever living there again. Just like the DC area isn't for everyone, neither is WV, I happen to fit into the latter category.

As far as the poll goes, the state isn't really losing most of its high school graduates to the DC area, but college...absolutely. Nearly everyone I knew in my graduating class at the WVU College of Business and Economics bolted the second they got their degrees, mainly for this area, Pittsburgh, and Charlotte. I work for a very large company in Northern VA and three people that I can think of in my division alone are WVians born and raised. Makes for great happy hours at the WVU alumni bars!

Old 06-30-2008, 06:51 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,339,813 times
This is our purpose...to raise our children and give them the gift of hard work and common sense and send them out to ignorant places to bring awareness and goodness to the blinded common folk there...those that are blinded by money, vanity and other shameful soul robbing things...that's what West Virginia is for...and she does her work well.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:22 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,211,406 times
My bio mother lived in Charleston from ca. 1938-50 and her mother stayed there till she passed away in 1968 on Kanawha St.

My aunt left Charleston for DC ca. 1966; her life was essentially a living hell till she met a guy from Baltimore 10 or so years later (ca. 1975) whereupon she left DC to spend the rest of her life in Balto....passed away in 2007.

My point being it takes a special 'breed of cat' to survive let alone prosper in the Wash DC area. I am a native and left in 1978 for Calif then Az-----never been back even for a visit.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:34 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,816,158 times
OP- I'm a native NY'r who chose this state out of all places I've traveled to put down roots. This includes the option of living abroad.

Mtneer- I've got an aunt on dads side-- judy was raised partially in massapequa long island, and the balance in upstate NY rural-- small town called chatham NY--- she rebelled against rural life, ran to NYC, never looked back. She wouldn't be caught dead near 4 legged critters of any sort, diversity and culture keep her hyper intellectual brain alive & blood moving. She's happily childless, happily unmarried, and had enough disdain for what was plain and true about her origins that she never attended to any of her mothers needs in the end. She also didn't bother showing up for the memorial. Oh that southern expression- bless her heart- she'd barely open the door for me when I was attending college 5 avenues away from her apartment, and not so much as a phone call when my dad passed away. Should I wonder if it was because I was a 'hick' from long island? She's my relative, she is who she is, and people may love her but strongly disagree with how she's lived her life. Ultimately none of it matters with exception to our individual relationship with our maker IMO.

DK I think boomerang effect will occur when youthful endorphines wear off, but I think cleaning up politics (if what you've indicated on other threads is 100% true) must happen to facilitate WV's health overall as a state. Elevating education standards is paramount as well. Same is true of america as a whole on federal level. It never occurred to me to let go of my american citizenship until bush was elected. I wasn't alone in that notion, as canadian immigration phone was ringing off the hook for weeks after elections. Guess it all comes down to how FUBAR this country is, and if we're going to seriously commit to fix it or continue with same plan of perpetuating FUBAR.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:10 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,637,128 times
I'm sorry to hear about your aunt harborlady and how she abandoned/treated her family, it is sad that some people choose that path. However, not everyone is like that. The fact that I moved away from WV for better job opportunities and a different pace of life doesn't mean that I could care less about my family. I still go home to visit my parents at least four times a year and they make the trek up to DC at least that many times if not more to visit me. We vacation together at the beach every summer and go skiing in the winter. When my dad was in the hospital last year for heart related problems I took an entire week off of work to spend time with my family and get help make sure he was back up to speed.

I love my family, we will always be close, there is no doubt in my mind. But I'm not going to feel bad for wanting to do my own thing in life. My dad, who is a lifelong WVian by the way, told me from day 1 in college (and maybe even in high school) that WV wasn't the same as when he entered the workforce and if I wanted opportunity in my particular field it was a virtual guarantee I would need to leave. He was right, I graduated, the job offers came from elsewhere and alas here I am today.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:20 PM

306 posts, read 901,949 times
It really is all about what you, as an individual, want your life to be like. I've been in the "rat race"...loved it for a while...couldn't imagine living that way now. People often think the grass is greener...could be some artificial coloring on that turf though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia