Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:43 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,378,007 times

Advertisements

Okay, I just got my first personal and real estate tax report and I don't know what to do. Do I just list vehicles or do I have to list everything in my house? How am I suppose to know the value of these items, I have no idea what my car is worth, I don't even remember how much I paid for them.

Also, since we owned land and a mobile home in another part of WV do I have to list is on this form even though we pay our property tax on it?

They really don't give many instructions and there is no number to call for help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 10:00 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,650,289 times
What county are you in? Can you scan the blank form and post it here on the forum?

Here's my advice (from living in both Jefferson and Berkeley counties prior to here)

Yes- list your registered vehicles. If you own any farm machinery- list it as well.

If your home is a mobile and registered- list it. However DO NOT list it if it is included in your county property tax assesment (usually if it's on a permanent foundation, it's a single family HOME, if it's on blocks and skirted and still has a title- it's personal property).

Do not list personal effects inside the domicile.

If you own cattle, livestock- list it. You used to have to list your dogs, what sex and breed. Not so sure about that anymore.

If you own a mobile somewhere else and you already paid personal property on that- DON'T LIST IT. Check that form again if it wants personal property from outside your county, if so, and you didn't pay PP taxes on the mobile in the other county, then list it.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:10 AM

For the real estate owned it states to give description on land book or from tax ticket which I haven't received yet. I know the assessor was just here to assess our house this week but we haven't received a tax bill yet.

Do I just put down what I think the cars are worth? I won't list our other place since that is a different county and we pay property taxes on that.

I got the form to send in for the dog tax and there is a spot on the form for it as well.

BTW, this is for Berkeley County.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:14 AM

385 posts, read 1,920,502 times
Good thing you asked!! I got the form the other day in the mail and was puzzled too...

Together, we have two registered vehicles... however my H has several additional vehicles.

He has one registered car and an unregistered car over his brother's house in MD. He also has an additional unregistered car that he got for free and is in the process of putting back together (it does not have an interior or a roof) in WV (taking up the whole garage... grr).

Do we have to claim them? It says on the document that even unregistered vehicles need to be included... does the 'partial' car count???

Also, my H has an unregistered moped (given as a gift, though not in working order yet) as well. From what it looks like, that should also be included on the form.

Also, in general, how much does personal property tax cost? Our two registered vehicles were purchased new in MD several years ago. One is a 2002 Saturn SC2 with 180,000 miles and a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 with 35,000 miles (we drive it even less now!!). Do we have to go to an assesor? I don't know how much we paid for either of these vehicles.... I think they were both around 18K when purchased (not including interest).

We live in Jefferson County...

Old 07-02-2008, 10:29 AM

For vehicle values I always used N.A.D.A. Official Used Car Guide Company , look up used cars, enter the appropriate data for your vehicle and then (and this was just me) I entered the trade-in value of the car or the poor condition value. I never had a problem doing it that way for over a decade.

As for the real esstate (Janipoo)- you should have the description of your land in your deed (which you should have back in your possesion). If you do not, I would call the assesors office for it.

7th direction- if the other vehicles are registered in MD but owned by a WV resident, technically you have XX number of days to go to DMV and have them registered in this state, regardless of where they are physically located. That's the law.

Whether or not you want to claim the items as personal property on this go around is up to you. That's a contentious issue in the Panhandle, so be forewarned.

The cost of the tax really isn't that much. There should be a posted schedule of the rate either on the form, or you can google each county office and they should have it on their website under the assesors office.

Edit- and 7th direction- if you have title to the vehicles then yes- I would list it. However if it's a junker I would put a really, really low value on it. But again- if it's not physically in the state or registered in the state, let your conscious be your guide.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:32 AM

One other thing- do not lose the receipt of payment or proof of payment for your personal property taxes. When it comes time to re-register your vehicle, you have to provide DMV with proof that you satisified the prior year(s) property tax or you ain't gonna get a new shiny sticker for your plate!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:34 AM

385 posts, read 1,920,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
7th direction- if the other vehicles are registered in MD but owned by a WV resident, technically you have XX number of days to go to DMV and have them registered in this state, regardless of where they are physically located. That's the law.
The registered car in MD is partially owned by his father, which makes things even more confusing.

I believe it is 30 days.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Direction View Post
The registered car in MD is partially owned by his father, which makes things even more confusing.

I believe it is 30 days.
Is the title in both of their names?

Old 07-02-2008, 10:37 AM

I guess this won't be so bad. I was told before that we had to list all our furnishings and such.

Threerun-thanks for the link I will use it.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
I guess this won't be so bad. I was told before that we had to list all our furnishings and such.
Ohmygoshno!

Link to all the WV tax codes- ENJOY!! Tax Codes (http://www.state.wv.us/taxrev/ptdweb/misc/taxcodes.html - broken link)

Quote:
§11-3-9. Property exempt from taxation.

(24) Household goods, which for purposes of this section means only personal property and household goods commonly found within the house and items used to care for the house and its surrounding property, when not held or used for profit;
(25) Personal effects, which for purposes of this section means only articles and items of personal property commonly worn on or about the human body, or carried by a person and normally thought to be associated with the person when not held or used for profit;
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia