Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 02:08 PM

348 posts, read 1,051,727 times

Advertisements

>>>Hollers used to be (and to some extent still are) the most desirable ground. Gardens and crops grew well, water was easily accessible, terrain was a bit easier to follow..<<<

Really! Thanks for your explanation. Yep, my grandfather's farm in Tyler County must have a holler. My dad told me that in 1930's an small airplane got a problem in finding a flat land for landing so its pilot spotted this holler and then landed it He walked to my grandfather and gave some cash for landing fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 02:34 PM

620 posts, read 1,839,001 times
Thanks!! I'll look into all those places. Unfortunately, yes I'm always on a budget so I never go with an expensive place to stay but like it be be at least clean. Also, can you tell me how many miles it is from Huntington to Elkins? Thanks. I can only come for a week so that's why I'm really, really taking the time to plan this trip and I thank each and every one of you who has helped. (I am SO glad I ran into this site!!)

Old 07-19-2008, 02:52 PM

4,959 posts, read 8,955,150 times
It's just under 200 miles from Huntington to Elkins and takes about 3 hours, give or take a few minutes depending on how you drive. The majority of the trip is interstate, taking I-64 to I-79 and following this to exit 99 where you will then take US 33 toward Elkins. Very easy trip and a good one to show how much the terrain varies in different parts of the state.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:03 PM

Thanks! That sounds good!!

Old 07-19-2008, 05:28 PM

38 posts, read 112,854 times
I'm going with snorpus! Lewisburg is a good mountain town. My roots are there and it has the ameneties of a city but the mountainous small town feel! if its to much to handle since the state fair is there look into Ronceverte, White Sulphur Springs, Rainelle, and Rinic! I'm sure you'll find what your looking for!

Old 07-20-2008, 11:06 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecen View Post
Hi: I'd like to do that Tygart Flyer - that looks great - any recommendations on motel in Elkins or surrounding areas?? Thanks.
I recommend doing the Tygart Flyer in/out of Elkins during the day then doing the American Mountain Theater that evening. (I would skip the all day Flyer out/in from Belington - I did a part day trip before and that was enough).

I highly highly recommend that you stay in Canaan Valley rather than Elkins or stay in Elkins one night for the activities there then head up to Canaan for the rest of your trip (takes about 45 min from Elkins to Canaan).

Info on Canaan is at Visit Canaan Valley - Blackwater Falls - Tucker County, West Virginia

The houses/cabins in Old Timberline in Canaan Valley can't be beat. They have the most beautiful surroundings you can imagine. To check some out, goto Welcome to Timberline Resort Realty, Inc. (http://www.timberlinerealty.com/trr6.html - broken link) If you click on a place and go it its webpage, be sure to click on Additional Photos/Floor Plan. When on the next page, click on Interior/Exterior/etc.

If that is not in your price range, check out Canaan Village Inn in Canaan Valley, Bright Morning Inn in Davis, or Fiddlers Roost (at the Purple Fiddle) and
Tally-Ho both in Thomas (Davis and Thomas are considered Canaan Valley). Also check out the State Parks - Canaan Valley Resort or Blackwater Falls Resort (they aren't fancy resorts like the word resort inplies). Most of these run between $50 - $100 per night.
http://www.canaanvillage.com/
http://www.brightmorninginn.com/
http://www.purplefiddle.com/
http://www.tallyho-tel.com/tallyhote...lodgespecs.htm
http://www.canaanresort.com/summer/
http://www.blackwaterfalls.com/

Also, Timberline Four Seasons Realty (not to be confused with Timberline Resort Realty - there's a long story attached to that) has condo rentals right beside the slopes. They are called Herzwood. (They are also building a motel - hope it's not like the bunker houses they have). Their site is harder to navigate - you have to go through the actions like you are booking to get the price. Looks like it is about $100 per night.
http://www.t4sr.com/rentals.asp

On the Canaan website you can also find others. Will be glad to tell you what I know of them.

Last edited by vec101; 07-20-2008 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: Cut self off before finish

Old 07-20-2008, 04:03 PM

Thanks much. I will check out those sites! It's all unchartered territory for me so I appreciate the suggestions. Yes I was thinking of doing the part-day trip and the theater at night. After that wasn't sure where to go next - thanks.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:27 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times
The AMT Show ends about 10:00~10:30pm, so you probably want to have a room around Elkins that night... driving to Canaan Valley late at night can be a bit of a challenge, if you're not used to the road.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:01 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
The AMT Show ends about 10:00~10:30pm, so you probably want to have a room around Elkins that night... driving to Canaan Valley late at night can be a bit of a challenge, if you're not used to the road.
I agree. After the show, we drove back to our place in Canaan and just beat a heavy storm. Sometimes it can get pretty foggy. Also, you always have to watch out for the deer. Hubby can drive it blindfolded but, while it's not a life or death situation driving it in the late PM, it can be a challenge if you aren't used to the road. Personally, I am a coward.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:27 AM

19,770 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Bah- just remember throttle on oversteer and you're good!

Just don't do what this guy did, lol
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for interesting "mountain towns" in West Virginia-tokyodrift.gif  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia