Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:17 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experience with Direct Buy? I am looking to save $$ on kitchen cabinets, flooring, etc. Discovered there is a Direct Buy store opening in Cross Lanes in about a month.

Checking Direct Buy out on the internet I have found extremely conflicting experiences by consumers. One thing I did find repeatly mentioned by satisfied and nonsatisfied members and nonmembers is that when you go to the store (guess you have to have an appointment) you have to decide on the spot whether to join and there is a hefty membership fee. Some posts say that if you don't join on-the-spot they were told you can't go back into one of their stores for 7 years.

Others also said you can get better prices at retail stores after you figure in shipping, etc. and many had problems with shipping, returning defective products, etc. According to some posts the sales staff was very high pressure. But then there are a lot of satisfied customers who saved a lot of $$ and had no problems.

The having to sign on-the-spot makes me want to just avoid the whole thing. I'm really leery of companies like that. On the other hand, I am looking to save $$. In the past we have run into shipping and other problems with box stores and other suppliers so figure that is fairly par for the course.

Anyhow, wanted to know if anyone here has had any experience with Direct Buy?

Also, anyone have experience with Lumber Liquidators?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 08:52 AM

385 posts, read 1,920,237 times
My in-laws went to check out their local Direct Buy in Columbia, MD. They were looking to do some home renovations and thought maybe Direct Buy would be a good think to join.

They were aghast at what they saw. They discovered that the "showroom" is nothing but a warehouse full of catalogs! Customers have to make decisions on products using only photos of the products, not THE actual products.

They also got the distinct impression that they were not of the correct demographic to join (apparently annual income and age are factors). They are in their seventies and the representative 'discouraged' them from joining... at least that's how they felt.

They were told they had to pay $7000 up front to join. And they were told that they indeed had to make the decision to join right then and there (and they do say that if you decline, you can't come back for several years).

I don't know. I know they are found all over the country, and they come off like a reputable company... but something still feels like a scam. No way I'd get involved with them.

Last edited by 7th Direction; 09-18-2008 at 09:24 AM..

Old 09-18-2008, 09:00 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
And what would happen to your up-front ($7K!!! wow!!!) if they were to go under, which with the current credit crunch isn't that far-fetched a possibility?

At least with LL, you can go pick up your flooring the same day.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:46 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,377,022 times
Here's a couple of links that have already been discussed. To me it sounds like a rip off.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/house...irect-buy.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...irect-buy.html

Old 09-18-2008, 12:17 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
It is a rip off. Direct Buy does not deal with name brands. If you quality you should buy from a company that represents solid brands.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 8,031 times
Thumbs up Pro DirectBuy

Hi,
I realize this is an old thread but had to straighten some things out.
I just joined the DirectBuy here in Cross Lanes, WV. Yes, their finally open.
As for the anti-directbuy propaganda, it doesn't cost One Cent for people to come in and find out about them for themselves. I don't understand how people can listen to these horrible things about a company and not take the time to actually see how DirectBuy works first hand. They were very upfront and nothing seemed like a scam.
They DO NOT charge 7000 dollars to join, nothing close. Now you may pay 7000 bucks for a membership in Southern California, but not here in West Virginia. And UP FRONT is certainly not the only option with membership, it can be paid in installments which is what I'm doing. As for the elderly people being turned away, they seemed to have several Senior Citizens joining up when I was.

They're just trying to help people live better on their hard earned money. Now of course there are a lot of negative things out there, I read them before I went for an open house but decided I should think for myself and make my own mind up. I also wondered how many of those negative things spread about directbuy were actually started by Retailers, I can certainly understand why the retailers and middlemen wouldn't like directbuy cause directbuy cuts mark-ups and middlemen out of the purchasing picture.

I would say if your planning on building or remodeling soon, get to DirectBuy ASAP! They will save you a bundle!
And your membership lasts for 10 YEARS! Truly I don't know how people can afford not to join!

People, make your own minds up, find out for yourself... the knowledge is free. Yea, it is a same day decision kind of thing, but its not like its a surprise. They inform everyone coming in to an open house of that information long before they get there. And as far as not carrying main brands... they have over 700 manufactures, like GE, Whirlpool, Moen, Ashley, Toshiba, Barcalounger, Sony, Klaussner, etc. etc. etc. I know for a fact they carry some of the most solid brands on the market cause I've seen them.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:26 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
"Yea, it is a same day decision kind of thing" -- that is what has kept me from following up and going to the Open House. We are going to be doing a major remodel. I'm not going to an Open House until I decide I definately want to join but not sure if that day will ever come. My major concern - having to deal with delays in shipping, returns, etc. We remodeled our cabin and I know the headaches you can run into with shipping delays, etc. Not sure I'd get the service I would get elsewhere (which can be pretty bad itself). Also, I like to see samples or the products not just pictures.

Thanks for the info though.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:27 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
I spent hunting season with a good friend in Hampshire county. He built a really nice Barna log cabin on 80 acres.. Anyway- they joined for $7,000 and generally- they were disappointed.

They got hickory cabinets, granite counter tops, some appliances and flooring and they didn't even come close to making their money back. In retrospect he could have had good Kitchenaid cabinets and custom WV milled flooring for less. Much less. Like almost to the tune of their initial investment. And he's a damn forester, lol. I gave him the number to the mennonite mill that made our flooring in our last house and he came to figure out he got hosed.

Unless you are going to be a major, and I mean major user of high end construction materials, I would opt for other sources quite frankly.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpshamrock View Post
Hi,
I realize this is an old thread but had to straighten some things out.
I just joined the DirectBuy here in Cross Lanes, WV. Yes, their finally open.
As for the anti-directbuy propaganda, it doesn't cost One Cent for people to come in and find out about them for themselves. I don't understand how people can listen to these horrible things about a company and not take the time to actually see how DirectBuy works first hand. They were very upfront and nothing seemed like a scam.
They DO NOT charge 7000 dollars to join, nothing close. Now you may pay 7000 bucks for a membership in Southern California, but not here in West Virginia. And UP FRONT is certainly not the only option with membership, it can be paid in installments which is what I'm doing. As for the elderly people being turned away, they seemed to have several Senior Citizens joining up when I was.

They're just trying to help people live better on their hard earned money. Now of course there are a lot of negative things out there, I read them before I went for an open house but decided I should think for myself and make my own mind up. I also wondered how many of those negative things spread about directbuy were actually started by Retailers, I can certainly understand why the retailers and middlemen wouldn't like directbuy cause directbuy cuts mark-ups and middlemen out of the purchasing picture.

I would say if your planning on building or remodeling soon, get to DirectBuy ASAP! They will save you a bundle!
And your membership lasts for 10 YEARS! Truly I don't know how people can afford not to join!

People, make your own minds up, find out for yourself... the knowledge is free. Yea, it is a same day decision kind of thing, but its not like its a surprise. They inform everyone coming in to an open house of that information long before they get there. And as far as not carrying main brands... they have over 700 manufactures, like GE, Whirlpool, Moen, Ashley, Toshiba, Barcalounger, Sony, Klaussner, etc. etc. etc. I know for a fact they carry some of the most solid brands on the market cause I've seen them.
Just curious since this is your first posting.... who do you work for, exactly?

http://bestsmileys.com/eating1/16.gif (broken link) (popcorns smells like "DirectBuy")

Anyway.....

Nothing but negative comments from anyone I've known over time in the Atlanta area who have used them. Of the 5 million people in the metro area here, I think maybe oh, four people, have joined.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 8,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Just curious since this is your first posting.... who do you work for, exactly?

(popcorns smells like "DirectBuy")

Verizon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia