Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 08:50 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,617,612 times

Advertisements

Nice deck in the pic. Needs potted ferns, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 03:15 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,996,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Nice deck in the pic. Needs potted ferns, though.
Hmm.. I love ferns! We have natural ones growing around the bases of our non coniferous trees. But I don't really know about them on the deck. We have huge ferns hanging from the ceiling on the front deck. I don't think my parents really care about the back too much. ha ha

Old 10-18-2008, 05:38 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,384,361 times
GHO, I have been wondering where you have been.....

Well.....I believe a marriage should be between a man and a woman......with that said I still believe that they should have a legal partnership between a gay or lesbian couple. I just think it should go under another name...be it a partnership or some other name. I think that a gay or lesbian couple that chooses to go that route like us that get married should have the same recourse when it is good or not . I have always felt that a gay or lesbian couple needs to be able to have rights when it comes to visitation at hospitals and such since they don't have the option to get "married". I think if they want the rights as heterosexuals than they should have the option to make that choice or deal with the consequences like the "ones" that choose to stay single.

The only reason why I think it should have another legal name is because of the children.....if this comes to be a reality than a child needs to learn that if someones parents are married than they have a mother and a father and if someones parents are (let's say a partnership) than they will know that they have 2 parents of the same sex. It would be our job as a parent to make sure that they understand. I myself have no problem explaining because I feel that it is not a choice.

I just feel that there should be a difference in terminology but the commitment is the same, as so should be the consequences .

With that being said, I could also tell you.....be careful.....very careful what you wish for .

Old 10-18-2008, 08:35 PM

Well I understand there are issues with religious institutions saying marriage is between a man and a woman. Which I don't personally care about. Because both me and Jake are atheist/agnostics, despite being raised in Catholic and Baptist households. But I have many gay and lesbian friends that are Christian, Jewish, and Hindu that still respect their religious guidelines... aside from that one..ha ha

Personally, I don't think that is a good idea to single out a child because his or her parents. I just don't see the need. I think as parents we should teach our children to embrace differences and understand we are all not the same and should respect other peoples lives.

With that said... I don't want a religious marriage. I want a state marriage. I want it called marriage because separate but equal is b/s. My parents were married at the courthouse basically back in 1978. They didn't have a church wedding because that was just not something they wanted. Then nine years later I came along... ha ha Which is pretty much how me and Jake want to go about things. We don't want a wedding in a church or something. We just want the title, the legal benefits, and perhaps a small reception with family and friends once we get back to WV, (we're planning on getting married in San Diego, CA)

The only way around this issue is to do away with marriage recognition within the government and to keep marriage a religious act (like christening or a baptism and create a whole new term for both heterosexual and homosexual couples to recognize the relationship. Or to allow any two loving people the same right to enter into marriage as everyone else. Those are really the only two options that are fair to the gay/lesbian community.

Look at it from my perspective. Hypothetically, gay marriages are legal and heterosexual marriages are banned for whatever hypothetical situation. But you are given the option in 3 states to be married to the person you love, and in about 7-8 others you can have a civil union. Wouldn't you have lots of questions? Like why is my love not treated the same as others? Why am I being treated like a 2nd class citizen? any many others...

Old 10-18-2008, 08:56 PM

31 posts, read 165,218 times
GHO, you might want to wait on buying that ticket to CA. Prop 8 is getting a lot of support all of a sudden.

I wish that someone could walk me through the steps to explain how me marrying my girlfriend would devalue or lessen my neighbours' straight marriages. If you don't want to call it a marriage, fine. Let me have some sort of state/federal recognition of our relationship so that I can protect my gf in case I die far too soon.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call me Tres View Post
GHO, you might want to wait on buying that ticket to CA. Prop 8 is getting a lot of support all of a sudden.

I wish that someone could walk me through the steps to explain how me marrying my girlfriend would devalue or lessen my neighbours' straight marriages. If you don't want to call it a marriage, fine. Let me have some sort of state/federal recognition of our relationship so that I can protect my gf in case I die far too soon.
Well there is always Massachusetts and Connecticut

more to come later

Old 10-19-2008, 08:37 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,383,037 times
Couldn't help but wonder, from a Mom's perspective - hope you have both come out to your parents already. If not, you may want to remove the picture.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Couldn't help but wonder, from a Mom's perspective - hope you have both come out to your parents already. If not, you may want to remove the picture.
He came out to his parents in high school... I came out to my parents about a year ago... sooo I think we're safe. What do you mean from a moms' perspective? I don't really care who finds out. I'm not ashamed of my love or relationship

Old 10-19-2008, 03:15 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,383,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
He came out to his parents in high school... I came out to my parents about a year ago... sooo I think we're safe. What do you mean from a moms' perspective? I don't really care who finds out. I'm not ashamed of my love or relationship
You get too defensive sometimes. From a Mom's perspective means that as a Mom, I would want my child to tell me - I wouldn't want to find out from looking at a site on the internet. That would be very hurtful - I've always hoped my kids can talk to me.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
You get too defensive sometimes. From a Mom's perspective means that as a Mom, I would want my child to tell me - I wouldn't want to find out from looking at a site on the internet. That would be very hurtful - I've always hoped my kids can talk to me.
I'm not being defensive... I'm being straight forward, and I'm also a natural blonde so sometimes I don't get what people are saying? Which is why I asked you to clarify. I only get defensive if I feel I'm being attacked verbally or physically. Which I was not being towards you... I thought the smiley face would signify that. ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia