Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:30 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,404,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
That's totally false Georgia. African-American student population is a little over 20% of the school population.

2007-2008 enrollment data from WV Dept of Edu.
Enrollment Data

The percentage of minorities moving into Berkeley and Martinsburg did not 'drastically outpace' non-minority growth. It was fairly level across the board.
Well, before you get all bent out of shape about it. The black population in MHS increased by 80% over the last census and the total minority percentage is 39.46% to be exact, I err'd in my last writing. But on the other front, yes the minority growth rate in the city limits of Martinsburg did outpace the other, granted Berkeley County as a whole is a different story. When you add the population you have to take into account the annexation of the land north of the hospital and west of Rock Cliff Drive into the city limits, which is inclusive of Martins Landing.

Also, your welcome for the menswear information I provided you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 01:38 PM

19,771 posts, read 22,673,762 times
No, not getting bent out of shape at all, and I apologize if you misconstrued my posting as such. I was only trying to provide the true figure. I would hope that if err'ed in a similar fashion that it would indeed be 'corrected'. After all, this board is supposed to be all about providing information, insights, and other such things to interested parties.

Minority population in Martinsburg City, according to census, stood at 16.8% of the total. I believe the last data set for the City was in the year 2,000. From what I understand, this demograph has been relatively constant, and if it was an increase, it was statistically 'un-important' as compared to overall growth in the county or region for that matter. And this data does not take into account the new developments in the recently annexed west side of the City. That is a massive development and if anything causes a shift- it will be when that side is built out.

But as it stands, I believe the demographic make-up of the city/county was relatively linear in its growth pattern. Not that it's all that important, but being as close to the data can't hurt.

And thanks for the tip. If I need a suit and I happen to be out that way, I'll stop in Winchester. As it stands now I can run to Morgantown now that I live in North Central.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:44 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD35 View Post
Berkeley County has added 23,829 residents from 2000-2007 (From 75,905 to 99,734) and Jefferson County has added 8,642 new residents during that time. There must be major loss of population in other counties for a gain of only 6,100.
That is true, and when you consider the major growth taking place in the Morgantown area in the past three years or so, the losses in other areas have to be very pronounced. It is probable that the State won't have a town as large as 50,000 in the next census unless they artificially create one by expanding boundaries.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:22 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
Very good point CTMountaineer...and this direction is being taking by the County Commissions..under the 'guise of protecting farm land, Mon and Preston Counties are sequestering land from development. What this is doing is preventing son or daughter from taking an acre or two of the old arm and building a home on their families heritage and history..

As this scheme tightens, people will be forced into the condos and apartments to live...easier to control them if they are contained..

If Morgantown annexed Sabraton and the thousands of homes at Rock Forge...took in Cheat Lake with the million dollar homes there in profusion...went west and then south to Goshen Road...a city of about 80,000 would exist overnight...and that would be the answer to their problem...a greater tax base to build the overhead highways that are needed for that city...

Morgantown does a good job with their government...they have weeded out a lot of the crooks of the 70 and 80's...they can be trusted to lead an area and a region...It might be time for the WVU revolt of Garrison/Breash to carry on into the city and do what is needed there...

Old 01-02-2009, 11:36 AM

Found some interesting stats (what else is new, lol)..

1990 Martinsburg High had an African American population of 118 out of 966, or 13%. Total ethnic population was 137 or 15% of the total.

In 2007 African American population was 305 out of 1645, or 19% of the population, an increase of 6% in a little less than 20 years.. Total ethnic population was 26%, an increase of 11% in the same period.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/Threerun533/MHSenrollment.jpg (broken link)

Here are the same trend/stats for South Charleston High-

1990 African American population was 71 out of 670, or 11% of the total. The entire ethnic population was 75...

In 2007, the African American population was 234 out of 1,027 or 23% of the school population. That's an increase of 8% over the same time frame as Martinsburg.

Total ethnic population is 251, or 25% ot the total. It does appear there was some consolidation at S. Charleston in 1991, as the overall population exploded.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:47 AM

And in 2000, Berkeley Counties 'white' population (as measured after accounting for Latino/Hispanic counts) was 91.9% out of 75,905 total persons.

Berkeley County, West Virginia - DP-1. Profile of General Demographic Characteristics:**2000

In 2006 it was 89.4% out of 97,534 total persons
Berkeley County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

You can slice and dice some of the subsets, but the increase of 21,629 residents from the 2000-2006 time frame was pretty linear for Berkeley, with slight increases for Hispanic/Latino and slight decreases for caucasian. And this may be due in some part to the methodology the census used from 2006 vs. 2000.

Last edited by Threerun; 01-02-2009 at 12:02 PM..

Old 01-03-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Very good point CTMountaineer...and this direction is being taking by the County Commissions..under the 'guise of protecting farm land, Mon and Preston Counties are sequestering land from development. What this is doing is preventing son or daughter from taking an acre or two of the old arm and building a home on their families heritage and history..

As this scheme tightens, people will be forced into the condos and apartments to live...easier to control them if they are contained..

If Morgantown annexed Sabraton and the thousands of homes at Rock Forge...took in Cheat Lake with the million dollar homes there in profusion...went west and then south to Goshen Road...a city of about 80,000 would exist overnight...and that would be the answer to their problem...a greater tax base to build the overhead highways that are needed for that city...

Morgantown does a good job with their government...they have weeded out a lot of the crooks of the 70 and 80's...they can be trusted to lead an area and a region...It might be time for the WVU revolt of Garrison/Breash to carry on into the city and do what is needed there...
That's true, and I agree the Morgantown city government does a good job. However, like Martinsburg, Morgantown and the region is not experiencing population loss. In fact, the gains are continuing at a rapid pace in the areas you mentioned surrounding the city. The rest of the State does not have that situation. Population losses in the other areas have been massive over the past few decades. There is an article in today's Charleston paper indicating that the Kanawha area has lost about 1/3 of its population since 1970, and the school system has only half the students it did at that time.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:40 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
That's true, and I agree the Morgantown city government does a good job. However, like Martinsburg, Morgantown and the region is not experiencing population loss. In fact, the gains are continuing at a rapid pace in the areas you mentioned surrounding the city. The rest of the State does not have that situation. Population losses in the other areas have been massive over the past few decades. There is an article in today's Charleston paper indicating that the Kanawha area has lost about 1/3 of its population since 1970, and the school system has only half the students it did at that time.
Then everyone must be driving 2 cars at rush hour!!!!

Is that Kanawha county or the entire area? That does really really surprise me - 1/3 of the pop is huge, I mean HUGE. If it is for the entire area -- then who is living in the thousands of houses that have gone up in Putnam County in the last, what, 15 years.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Then everyone must be driving 2 cars at rush hour!!!!

Is that Kanawha county or the entire area? That does really really surprise me - 1/3 of the pop is huge, I mean HUGE. If it is for the entire area -- then who is living in the thousands of houses that have gone up in Putnam County in the last, what, 15 years.
I didn't know Charleston had a true "rush hour". I know I've never had any trouble getting around there traffic wise. Then again, living in the NYC area any small town's traffic seems light.

The figures in the paper said Kanawha County now has something like 195,000 people and it had 255,000 thirty years ago. That doesn't surprise me, because my hometown area (Wheeling) "metro" has lost even more. They had 225,000 and now have maybe 130,000. Of course, those statistics can be misleading since West Alexander, PA is only 12 miles from Wheeling but is listed as Pittsburgh metro area. But still, the losses are staggering.

I believe Putnam County has gained population. In fact, they have gained a lot of population, but most of those people used to live closer to Charleston, and thus didn't offset the population losses overall. That county seems to be growing at a rate of about 500 per year. Still, every time they close a factory, the spinoff losses mean many more people are out of work and eventually have to move to find a job. Losses in the chemical industry have hit the Kanawha area particularly hard.

Here's the article: http://www.dailymail.com/News/200901020179

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 01-04-2009 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: to include link

Old 01-05-2009, 03:13 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I didn't know Charleston had a true "rush hour". I know I've never had any trouble getting around there traffic wise. Then again, living in the NYC area any small town's traffic seems light.

The figures in the paper said Kanawha County now has something like 195,000 people and it had 255,000 thirty years ago. That doesn't surprise me, because my hometown area (Wheeling) "metro" has lost even more. They had 225,000 and now have maybe 130,000. Of course, those statistics can be misleading since West Alexander, PA is only 12 miles from Wheeling but is listed as Pittsburgh metro area. But still, the losses are staggering.

I believe Putnam County has gained population. In fact, they have gained a lot of population, but most of those people used to live closer to Charleston, and thus didn't offset the population losses overall. That county seems to be growing at a rate of about 500 per year. Still, every time they close a factory, the spinoff losses mean many more people are out of work and eventually have to move to find a job. Losses in the chemical industry have hit the Kanawha area particularly hard.

Here's the article: Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports - News - After 50 years of declines, county enrollment stabilizing*
That makes more sense - it being Kanawha County. Putnam County schools, especially in Teays Valley area, are busting at the seams. Lots of people have moved into Putnam County (has slowed down over the last couple years. Can't get over the number of houses built in Putnam Co in the last 20 years!!).

Try driving down I-64 at rush hour or try Cross Lanes - it's not unusual at rush hour to take 20 minutes to go 2 miles in Cross Lanes.

I was wondering about all the plant closings - that article talks about the over last 50 years. Yep, things change industry wise and people move out of the city into suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia